John the Evangelist, Parish Church, Sandiway, Cheshire.
(C of E). was built in 1902/3 as a chapel to St. Mary the
Virgin, Weaverham Parish Church. On March the 29th 1935
a separate ecclesiastical parish of Sandiway was created
under an Order in Council of George V, which included Cuddington
hitherto known as a township in Weaverham Parish, Eddisbury
1936 the civil parish of Cuddington which includes the hamlets
of Bryn, Delamere Park, Golden Nook, part of Pettypool,
Pinfold Hollows, Ravensclough and Stonyford, was extended
to include the village of Sandiway, which was transferred
from Weaverham cum Milton civil parish.
Church was designed and partly funded by local architect
John Douglas, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Douglas,_architect_(1830-1911)
, who lived for many years of his life
in Norley Road. The Foundation Stone was laid on the 12th
April 1902 by the Earl of Mansfield. [The stone is outside
under the East window]. Licensed for Divine Service on the
15 October 1903 as the daughter Church of St. Mary the Virgin,
Weaverham. St. John’s was designated a Listed Building
on the 15 July 1986.
Dedication and Opening Ceremony on the 26 October 1903 by
the Rt. Rev'd. Dr Fredrick Jayne, Lord Bishop of Chester
and Licensed for Marriages on the 22 May 1906.
new Parish of Sandiway was created under an Order in Council
of George V dated 29 March 1935.
2003 on Sunday 26 October, exactly 100 years to the day
of the Dedication and Opening of St. John’s; the Centenary
Celebration Service of Choral Eucharist was presided at
by The Rt. Rev'd. Lord Bishop of Chester Dr Peter Robert
Forster, MA Oxon, BD Edin, PhD Edin.
Incumbents of the Benifice of the Parish of Sandiway.
2005 - todate
The Rev'd. Martin Brian Cox, MA, MSc
Collation 24 September 2005 by Honorary Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Chester, former Diocesan Bishop of Blackburn The Rt. Revd Alan David Chesters, CBE. MA.
1999 - 2005
The Rev'd. Gordon George Roxby, BSc.
Collation 9 March 1999 by The Bishop of Birkenhead, The Rt. Rev'd. Michael Laurence Langrish, DD, BSocSc, MA.Translated in 2000 to the Diocese of Exeter as The Lord Bishop.
1999 – 2004 Diocesan Initial Ministerial Training Officer.
1981 - 1998
The Rev'd. John Vaughan Griffith. L.Th.
Collation 16 January 1981 by the Bishop of Chester, The Rt. Rev'd. Hubert Victor Whitsey, MA Oxen. Res'd1981, D.1989.
1989 Canon of Chester Cathedral.
1961 - 1980
The Rev'd. Edgar Joseph Basil Jones. MA, LLB.
Collation 9 September 1961 by the Bishop of Stockport, The Rt Rev'd David Henry Saunders-Davies.
The Rev'd. Joseph Barnes Horrocks, MA, BD, BSc.
Collation 3 June 1936 by the Bishop of Chester, The Rt. Rev'd. Geoffrey Francis Fisher, MA, DD, LLD. Translated to London in 1939, then Translated to Canterbury, 1945-1961. D.1972.
1957 Rural Dean Middlewich, 1959 Canon of Chester Cathedral.