History of Wollongong City Council

 
 

History of Wollongong City Council


 1816  Organised settlement began in Wollongong and land grants were made
 1834  Town of Wollongong was planned by the Surveyor-General, Major Thomas Mitchell, and gazetted on 26 November 1834
 1843  Illawarra District Council was formed.  It covered the coastal plain from Bulli to Nowra and also Kangaroo Valley
 1859  Two local government areas were formed.  Municipality of Wollongong which was proclaimed on 22 February.  Central Illawarra Municipality which was formed on 19 August 1859 (this took in the area from Unanderra to Macquarie Rivulet)
 1868  North Illawarra Municipality was formed on 26 October 1868 and included the area from Fairy Creek to Bellambi
 1887  The railway line between Sydney and Wollongong was completed
 1903  Town water came to Wollongong in 1903
 1904  Telephone system was installed
 1906  Bulli Shire was proclaimed on 15 May 1906
 1926  The first steelworks was established
 1927  Wollongong's new Town Hall opened by Mayor Norman Smith
 1942  Wollongong was proclaimed a city in NSW Government Gazette 125 on 11 September 1942
 1947  The City of Greater Wollongong was formed by the amalgamation of the City of Wollongong, the Shires of Bulli and Central Illawarra and the Municipality of North Illawarra, under the Local Government Act, 1919 in the NSW Government Gazette 104 of 12 September 1947
 1947  The new City of Greater Wollongong Council takes over the electricity supply responsibilities of the four constituent councils
 1948  First amalgamated Council elections held
 1956  New Council Chamber opened
 1958  The Illawarra County Council was formed signalling the end of direct local government control of the electricity supply in the Wollongong area
 1959  Alderman Rube Hargrave was the first female to be elected to the Council of the City of Greater Wollongong. She was elected on the 5th December, 1959
 1970 A Lord Mayorality was conferred on the City on the eve of the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 10 April 1970.  Alderman Ford became the first Lord Mayor
 1970 The City of Greater Wollongong  became City of Wollongong  - gazetted on 30 October 1970
 1981 A new City Flag design was adopted following a community competition
 1987 Ward boundaries were abolished
 1987 Wollongong won the 1986 A R Bluett Award for Excellence in Local Government
 1987 The new administration Building and Library was officially opened on 18 July 1987
 1990 Return to Ward boundaries.  5 Wards were gazetted on 29 June 1990
 1994 Wollongong City Council wins prestigious Australian Quality Award
 1997 50th Anniversary of amalgamation of Bulli, North Illawarra, Central Illawarra and City of Wollongong to create the City of Greater Wollongong
 1998 Opening of the new $20M, 6,000 seat Wollongong Entertainment Centre
 1999 University of Wollongong named University of the Year
 2004 Wollongong City Gallery celebrates 25th Anniversary
 2004 Wollongong City Surf Life Saving Club's new premises opens on the corner of Marine and Endeavour Drives
 2005 The Sea Cliff bridge opened on December 11, 2005, re-connecting the villages of Coalcliff and Clifton
 2005 Qantas establishes a daily air service from Wollongong to Melbourne
 2006 Illawarra Escarpment Strategic Management Plan signed off by Wollongong City Council and the Minister for Planning
 2007 Chief Executive Officer, Rod Oxley resigns after 19 years as Chief Executive of Wollongong City Council
 2007 Southern Gateway tourist centre to go ahead after a $13 million funding injection from the Federal Government
 2007 Wollongong City Council celebrates 60 years of amalgamation on Setember 12 


Last Modified: 18/09/2007
 

Return to Top
Contact us

For more information, please contact our Central Library

Phone:
4227 7414
 
 
In Person:
Council's Adminstration Building, Ground floor, 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong
 
 

Suburbs of Wollongong

For more inforamtion you may like to visit our library website where you can locate historical information about the suburbs of Wollongong.