The Genesee Pure Food Co.

Welcomes You to

Jell-O Home Site

GOD BLESS THE USA


JELL-O MUSEUM WEB SITE

www.jellomuseum.com

AND YOU ARE VISITOR


Historic Jell-O Mold
Please come and visit LeRoy, NY and the Jell-O Gallery

"There's Always Room for Jell-O"

THE JELL-O GALLERY

*** Spring / Summer / Fall ***

... OPEN EVERYDAY ...

  • April 1st through December 31st.
  • HOURS, Monday-Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 1-4.

  • ..... AND, Open January/April, All 5 week days, 10-4.

    .

    LOCATED: 23 E Main St, LeRoy NY 14482 (SEE "Places to Eat in LeRoy" for direction details)

    ADMISSION:

    Adults - 12, $4.00; 11 - 6, $1.50; 5 and under are Free.

    Also:
  • The Gallery is now wheel chair accessible.
  • Reservations are necessary for tour groups, please call for reduced rates.
  • YES, A Gift Shop is on the premise.
  • Call: Jell-O Gallery, (585) 768-7433

    Note:

  • Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter

  • Contents: CLICK "ON" other pages below.


    Visit often - more details will be added as they become available. For more information on Jell-O, contact the LeRoy Historical Society at 585-768-7433.

    Information is also available at the www.geneseeny.com. Genesee County Chamber of Commerce, (just click on the site name to LINK).

    This page presented as a service of the LeRoy Historical Society, the LeRoy Business Association and the Marchese Computer Products, Inc. www.mcpinc.com. as of 3/04. Copyright & copy; 1997 LeRoy Historical Society and WEJ Ret (5/00). All Rights Reserved thru 2008.



    *

    *

    *

    *



    Background

    Background

    HELLO

    Welcome to the Jell-O Museum Website!

    The LeRoy Historical Society, located at 23 E Main St. in Le Roy which is just in FRONT of the Jell-O Museum, has created this site to answer many of your questions about Jell-O and the Jell-O Gallery.

    Lynne Belluscio is the curator of the LeRoy Historical Society as well as the director of the Jell-O Museum. She is always on hand to answer any further questions you might have.

    We've also included some Jell-O trivia, historic recipes, and some information about the "There's always room for the Jell-O" exhibit.

    Enjoy!

    Jell-O Trivia
    February 5, 1981, in Brisbane Australia, Paul Squires and Geoff Ross created the world's largest Jell-O. It was 7,700 gallons ($14,000 worth) of pink Jell-O and was set in a tank donated by Poolfab.(From the Guinness Book of Records)

    History of Jell-O


    *


    History of Jell-O
    Jell-O Trivia
    During an airshow at the Woodward Airport, one of the contests involved having the pilot land the plane, run up to a table and eat a bowl of Jell-O and then run back to the plane and take off.

    HELLO

    "There's Always Room for Jell-O." This is the campaign slogan of a simple gelatin dessert that today is known as "America's Most Famous Dessert." The success story is one, the result of advertising and merchandising methods, new and different, never before employed. Salesmen, well-trained, well groomed, well versed in the art of selling went out in "spanking rigs, drawn by beautiful horses" into the roads, byroads, fairs, country gatherings, church socials, and parties to advertise theirproduct. First came team-drawn wagons, to be followed by smart auto-cars. Pictures, posters, and billboards over the American landscape, as well as page ads in magazines, carried the Jell-O Girl and the six delicious flavors into the American home.
    Pearle B. Wait
    Pearle B. Wait
    In 1845, Peter Cooper dabbled with and patented a product which was "set" with gelatin. Suffice it to say, it never did "jell" with the American public. In 1897, Pearle Wait, a carpenter in LeRoy, was putting up a cough remedy and laxative tea in his home. He experimented with gelatine and came up with a fruit flavored dessert which his wife, May, named Jell-O. He tried to market his product but he lacked the capital and the experience. In 1899 he sold his formula to a fellow townsman for the sum of $450. Jell-O Trivia
    The first four Jell-O flavors were orange, lemon, strawberry, and raspberry.
    Lime was introduced in 1930.
    Jell-O Trivia
    Fruits that float: fresh fruits such as apples, bananas, orange and grapefruit sections, sliced peaches and pears, strawberries, and fruit packed in light syrup.
    The buyer already had some success in manufacturing and selling. He was one of the best known manufacturers of proprietary medicines. Orator Frank Woodward was born in North Bergen in 1856 and moved with his family to LeRoy in 1860. Life was not easy for the boy, but no job was too menial for him, because in his mind every opportunity was a step toward his goal. By 1876 he was making composition balls used by marksmen for target shooting. Then he engaged in the manufacture of a composition nest egg with "miraculous power to kill lice on hens when hatching." This became a widely known and used product in the United States and Canada. Orator F. Woodward
    Orator F. Woodward
    In 1896 Orator Woodward bought the patent for and placed on the market Grain-O, a roasted cereal coffee "for those who can't drink tea and coffee." It was this highly successful coffee substitute that made enough money to carry Jell-O along until the new dessert replaced Grain-O as a money maker. In 1897 the Genesee Pure Food Company was incorporated. Grain-O became a best seller rapidly, and Mr. Woodward expanded his factory. Jell-O Trivia
    Fruits that sink: seedless grapes and fruits in heavy syrup such as apricots, cherries, fruit cocktail, peaches, pears, and pineapple.
    Jell-O Trivia
    In 1909, the Genesee Pure Food Company posted sales earnings of over a million dollars. Four years later, that number doubled.
    On September 9, 1899 he purchased the name and the business of Jell-O from Mr. Wait. The bill of sale bears the name of Everett W. Bishop as witness. Manufacturing was carried on under the supervision of Andrew Samuel Nico of Lyons, NY. Sales were slow and disheartening for the new product, but income from Grain-O remained steady. One day in a gloomy mood "O.F." offered Sam Nico the whole blankety-blank business for $35. This story is vouchsafed by George McHardy. In 1900, the Jell-O name was first used by the Genesee Pure Food Company. The advertising campaign proved so successful that in 1902 Jell-O sales mounted to $250,000. Jell-O prospered and the consensus of the townspeople is carried in a colloquial expression heard in town - "Grain-O, Jell-O, and Nico."
    From the beginning Jell-O's advertising was directed by William E. Humelbaugh followed by Frank LaBounty. These men began the distribution of recipes and samples in 1904. A three-inch ad costing $336 in the Ladies Home Journal launched the printed portion of the campaign, and the first of the Jell-O "best seller" recipes rolled off the presses. In some years as many as 15 million booklets were distributed. Noted artists such as Rose O'Neill, Maxfield Parrish, Coles Phillips, Norman Rockwell, Linn Ball, and Angus MacDonald made Jell-O a household word with their colored illustrations. Jell-O Trivia
    The people of Salt Lake City consume more lime-flavored gelatin than any other city in the United States.
    Jell-O Trivia
    Bill Cosby has been a spokesperson for Jell-O since 1974.
    In 1904, Jell-O introduces the Jell-O Girl, four year old Elizabeth King whose father, Franklin King, was an artist connected with the Dauchy Company - Jell-O's advertising agency. In her right hand the little girl held a teakettle and in her left a package of Jell-O. Advertising kept abreast of the times and so in 1934 General Foods, a pioneer in selling by radio, signed Jack Benny and the whole world came to know "J-E-L-L-O."
    To return to the early days, on November 5, 1923 the Jell-O Company, Inc. was organized and took over the entire assets of the Genesee Pure Foods Company with no change in management or control. The purpose of this change was to protect the value of Jell-O as a trade name by closely identifying it with the business. The intent was to keep it from becoming a common noun. The officers in 1925 just before it joined with Postum were: Ernest L. Woodward, James Gordon Gilfillan, Charles W. Metcalf, Frank L. LaBounty, Donald Woodward, and Miss Beatrice Curtiss. Jell-O Trivia
    January 6, 1925, Jell-O is issued a patent for a sugarless gelatin dessert known as D-Zerta.
    Jell-O Trivia
    March 17, 1993, technicians at St. Jerome hospital in Batavia test a bowl of lime Jell-O with an EEG machine and confirm the earlier testing by Dr. Adrian Upton that a bowl of wiggly Jell-O has brain waves identical to those of adult men and women.
    Succeeding years saw Jell-O change from a hand-packaged business to a highly mechanized factory, and become one of LeRoy's most important industries. The search for new products and unique advertising and merchandising break-throughs developed a phenominal record. On December 31, 1925 the Jell-O Company, Inc. was sold to the Postum Cereal Company, Inc. by exchange of stock, thereby becoming the first subsidiary of a large merger that would eventually become General Foods Corporation. And so the little Jell-O package which was born in LeRoy in 1897 grew from childhood to adulthood. Jell-O left its hometown to make its way in the wide wide world in 1964. Today Jell-O is manufactured by Kraft/General Foods in Dover Delaware.

    Contents: CLICK "ON" other pages below.


    Visit often - more details will be added as they become available. For more information on Jell-O, contact the LeRoy Historical Society at 585-768-7433. Information is also available at the Genesee County Chamber of Commerce WEB SITE (just click here to LINK).


    This page presented as a service of the LeRoy Historical Society, the LeRoy Business Association and the Marchese Computer Products, Inc. www.mcpinc.com. as of 3/04. Copyright & copy; 1997 LeRoy Historical Society and WEJ Ret (5/00). All Rights Reserved thru 2008.