18th-20th July 2004
East Midlands Conference Centre, University of Nottingham
Pan European Portals 2004 takes place against a backdrop of dramatic change in Higher and Further Education. Information infrastructure is being transformed as pilots and experiments in web-enabled applications and portals are integrated in a range of services for tens of thousands of users. Universities and Colleges face a series of potentially bewildering choices and challenges as they navigate this complex landscape. Pan European Portals 2004 offers the opportunity to share experiences of success, and network with others facing the same issues and problems.
The conference will focus squarely on practical solutions and implementations across the Higher and Further Educational sectors. Themes will include:
- Managing change - are institutional processes ready to take advantage of technology?
- Open standards - open source - open minds?
- New relationships with commercial partners
- The place of the portal - integrator or duplicator?
- Have we talked to users? Analysing stakeholder requirements
Two principle conference tracks are planned -
technical - with opportunities to cross between the two and also to engage in plenary activities. Case studies will include joint presentations from vendors and their customers describing real life experiences of implementing portal solutions.