Pittodrie Stadium

Pittodrie's existence as a football ground can be traced back to 1899 when the original Aberdeen FC occupied the land.

When this club amalgamated with Orion and Victoria United in 1903 the new larger club continued to play at Pittodrie. The land had originally been used by the local corporation as a dung hill for police horses and Pittodrie is actually a Celtic place name which means "place of manure".

Pittodrie was dramatically transformed into an all covered all-seated stadium in 1978 and can claim to be the first football ground in Britain to have done so.

The most recent transformation of the ground came in 1993 when the old beach end was demolished to make way for the large Richard Donald stand while the oldest part of the ground, the traditional main stand, dates from 1925.


Information provided by the Scottish Football Museum

www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk