history predates the American Revolution. The first owners after the Native Americans
were John Cripps, his son Nathaniel, and Edward Gaskill. They owned most of Mount
Holly which they called Bridetown. Many other notable Americans had their roots
in Mount Holly. Justus C. Strawbridge worked in Mount Holly before leaving & forming
a partnership with Isaac H. Clothier (grandson of Caleb & Elizabeth Clothier of
Mount Holly) - the former Strawbridge & Clothier.
to our audio Walking Tour!
Created in 2001 as a Historic Landmark walking
tour, these audio (mp3) tracks offer great information about Mt Holly's roots.
Click on the "play" button of each track to hear more about each historic
1878, replica 1988. The Greek goddess of Youth-Hebe, reigned over Fountain Square
from 1878 to 1920. Led by the Mount Holly Historical Society, a replica of the
cupbearer to the gods was replaced on her original sight on October 15, 1988.
Mount Holly's Fountain was first placed at this intersection in 1878. It has been
said, the original fountain first stood on the grounds of the Centennial exhibition
in Philadelphia. The original fountain was not only lovely, but was a blessing
to the horses in hot weather.
Union Bank - 21 Mill St
1815. Organized on July 9, 1814,
as the Farmers Bank of New Jersey. This was the first bank in Mount Holly and
one of the first in southern New Jersey. The Federal style building was erected
in 1815 with two later additions.
Old Schoolhouse (Brainerd Schoolhouse) - 35 Brainerd St
1759. This is the oldest school in New Jersey standing on its original site. Founded
by 21 men in 1759, it was used as a school until 1848. Some of its furnishings
include a schoolmaster's desk, student desks, slates and a 1752 Bible. In 1951
the Colonial Dames restored and furnished this building.
Meeting House - High and Garden Sts
The Meeting House was established for the early New Jersey settlers, most of whom
were Quakers. The first building was built in 1716, but no longer exists. The
present building was used by the British as a commissary in 1778, and was the
setting for 1779 meetings of the State Legislature.
Andrew's Episcopal Church - 121 High St
1844. St. Andrew's
Episcopal Church, chartered 1765. This church was established in 1742, and received
its Royal Charter from King George III in 1765 while Benjamin Franklin's son,
William, was Governor of New Jersey. The present structure was erected on High
Street in 1844.
Holly Library - 307 High St
1830. This fine example of
Georgian Style house is the fifth oldest library in New Jersey and was chartered
by King George III of England in 1765 as the Bridgetown Library. Among the library's
incorporators were William Claypole (father of Betsy Ross' third husband) and
Howell Davis (a notorious pirate from the West Indies).
Heart Rectory (The Dunn Estate)
1832. After Nathan Dunn
was disowned by the Quaker Meeting in 1816, he moved to China for 13 years. When
he returned the "Chinese Cottage" was built at the front of his 23 acre
estate. The cottage is now used as a Rectory for Sacred Heart Church.
The tree striking townhouses bear a combination
of Greek Revival and Federal style features. They were built by a group of brothers
and sisters on land willed to them by their mother in 1830. Originally all three
buildings were just two rooms deep and four stories high. Number 242 was once
used as a college prepatory school for ladies.
Prison Museum - 128 High St
1810. This was once the oldest
prison in continuous use in the United States. Designed by Robert Mills, architect
of the Washington Monument. Mills suggested that all prisoners be taught to read
and write, and a New Testament be placed in each cell. This prison narrowly escaped
plans for demolition in 1954.
Court House - 120 High St
1796. This fine example of Colonial
architecture was designed by Samuel Lewis, architect for Congress Hall in Philadelphia.
Originally, the Burlington County Court House was located in Burlington City,
but became dilapidated beyond repair. A vote was taken in 1795 and Mount Holly
was chosen as the new site of the County Court House. The Bell, cast in England
in 1755, announced the opening of court sessions, and is said to have rung to
signal the signing of the Declaration of Independence. This Court House is still
in use today.
Log House - Park Dr
1712. The early settler's log house
of hand-hewn logs was entirely cased in a house on Water Street (now Rancocas
Rood) and was uncovered in 1967 when the surrounding house was demolished. It
was in the possession of the Curtis family for 147 years, since 1802, and is now
owned by the Mount Holly Historical Society. Burlington County Historic Prison,
1810 Robert Mills, famed architect of the Washington Monument, designed this building.
It was the first fireproof building in the United States and the oldest prison
in continuous use for 155 years (until 1965).
Earnest House - 14 White St
1775. This house has been altered
very little. Only the porch has been added to the original structure. Early records
show that Michael Earnest was a husbandman and that they was a slaughterhouse
near the Mill Race.
Humphries House - 5 Church St
1747. This house is better
known for its most famous early owner, High Sheriff Joseph Mullen, who acquired
the property in 1765. The architecture is patterned after an English cottage.
Budd House - 20 White St
1744. The Budd House is the earliest
known residence on its original site in Mount Holly. Thomas Budd was a plantation
owner and is one of the incorporates of the Mount Holly Library. His son and grandson,
Dr. Stacey Budd, both lived in the home. Dr. Budd added a third floor to the structure,
but it was removed in 1927. When Thomas Budd was about to lay the first corner
stone he called his son Stacey, showed him the stone and knocked him down in order
that he might remember it.
Relief Fire Engine Company
No 1 (Britannia Fire Company) - Pine St
1789. This is the
oldest continuously used active volunteer fire company in the United States. It
was organized in 1752 as Britannia Fire Company. The original firehouse sits next
to the present firehouse building which dates back to 1892.