About Us

Need help with unemployment benefits?

If you were denied unemployment benefits and were formerly employed in New York City or Long Island, we can help you. The Unemployment Action Center ("UAC") provides free legal assistance to individuals who wish to challenge their unemployment benefits determination issued by the New York Department of Labor. If you believe the Department of Labor’s decision to deny you unemployment benefits was unfair or incorrect, contact us. We may be able to represent you at an administrative law hearing.

Due to geographic limitations, we can only assist with hearings in Manhattan, Hauppauge, or Garden City.

How does it work?

If you have not already sought a hearing with the Department of Labor, you need to obtain a hearing date. After you have secured a hearing date, your first step towards working with the UAC is to call our case administrator and answer a few simple questions regarding your case. Please have both your Notice of Determination and Notice of Hearing with you when you call. These documents will help you answer many of the questions you will be asked.

How will I know if someone will be available to represent me?

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that a volunteer advocate will be available to represent you at the administrative law hearing. After the UAC case administrator records your case, he or she will make your case available to our volunteer advocates. If an advocate is available to take your case, the advocate will call you at the telephone number you provide.

If we cannot provide you an advocate for your hearing time, please click here to veiw an instructional video on the hearing process

Who are the volunteer advocates?

The volunteer advocates that will represent you at the hearing are all law students who have received Unemployment Action Center training. Although they are not licensed attorneys, UAC advocates are qualified to represent you at the Department of Labor.

How do I contact you?

Please dial 212-998-6568 to reach our case administrator during regular business hours.