Sample Gates
Indiana University Bloomington Skip Navigation
 
 


 Advanced Search
 

Campus History


Go to Years:
1816 – 1849
1850 – 1899
1900 – 1949
1950 – 1999
2000 – present

1816 First constitution of Indiana adopted, providing for a general system of education ascending from township schools to a state university.
1818 State legislature establishes Monroe County and appoints commissioner to locate and name town where courthouse could be situated.
1820 January 20: Legislative act adopted establishing a state seminary (Founders Day).
July: Board of Trustees choose location for seminary.
1822 Construction begins on Seminary Building and professor's house.
1823 Baynard Rush Hall hired as first professor to teach in the Seminary.
1824 Classes begin with an enrollment of 10 men, though Seminary Building not yet complete.
1825 Indiana Seminary Building

Seminary Building completed.


1828 Legislative act adopted changing State Seminary to Indiana College.
1829 Andrew Wylie (1829-51) named first president.
1830 First graduating class.
Preparatory Department established (abolished 1890).
Construction of First College Building started at Seminary Square.
1836 First College Building finished (destroyed by fire in 1854).
1838 Indiana College Building

Legislative act adopted changing Indiana College to Indiana University.


1842 School of Law established (suspended 1877-89; revived Feb. 15, 1889).

<< back to top

1852 Legislative act adopted recognizing Indiana University as "The University of the State."
Alfred Ryors (1852-53) named second president.
1853 William Mitchell Daily (1853-59) named third president.
1854 First College Building destroyed by fire.
Indiana University Alumni Association founded.
1855 Second Indiana College Building

Second College Building constructed (used for Preparatory Department, 1885-90; sold to Bloomington School Board for use as a high school, 1897).


1859 Theophilus A. Wylie serves six months as acting president.
John Hiram Lathrop (1859-60) named fourth president.
1860 Cyrus Nutt (1860-75) named fifth president.
1865 IU president made a member-ex-officio of the State Board of Education.
1867 IU becomes one of the first state universities to admit women.
The Indiana Student (now the Indiana Daily Student) first published.
Men's baseball team becomes IU's first known athletic activity.
Legislative act begins annual appropriations, March 8.
1869 Sarah Parke Morrison becomes first woman graduate.
1874 Science Hall at Seminary Square completed (destroyed by fire 1883).
1875 Lemuel Moss (1875-84) named sixth president.
1883 Charles Henry Gilbert becomes first to receive Ph.D. degree.
Following fire at Seminary Square, citizens of Monroe County pledge $50,000 to the university.
Dunn Woods, located east of downtown Bloomington, purchased from Moses F. Dunn.
First intercollegiate game (baseball) played by an IU team.
1884 Wylie and Owen Halls constructed on new campus (named University Park).
Elisha Ballantine named acting president.
1885 David Starr Jordan (1885-91) named seventh president.
Mitchell Hall (named Maxwell Hall until 1894) constructed on new campus.
1886 Men's football team started.
Reorganization of curriculum to major subject and departmental basis.
1888 With the purchase of a chronoscope, future IU and American Psychological Association president William Lowe Bryan founded the oldest continuing psychology laboratory in the United States.
1890 Department of Physical Training for Women established, with gym in Wylie Hall.
Summer School established.
Limestone gargoyle

Library Hall (renamed Maxwell Hall in 1894) constructed.


Preparatory Department abolished.
1891 John Merle Coulter (1891-93) named eighth president.
Legislative act adopted providing for election by alumni of three trustees.
Department of Physical Training for Men established, with gym in Owen Hall.
First IU extension course offered in Indianapolis.
1892 Men's Gymnasium completed (converted into a carpenter's shop after 1896, razed in 1932).
IU wins Intercollegiate Baseball Championship series by a score of 13 to 11 against DePauw.
Arbutus staff, 1894

Arbutus, the campus yearbook, is first published.


1893 Joseph Swain (1893-1902) named ninth president.
Hail to Old IU, IU's official Alma Mater, is first performed on March 10 by the IU glee club at a state contest in Indianapolis. The words were written by J.T. Giles, who organized the club, based on an old Scottish song.
1894 Kirkwood Hall constructed.
1895 Marcellus Neal became IU's first black graduate with an A.B. in mathematics.
Trustees purchase 10 acres north and east of campus from Moses F. Dunn (Dunn cemetery excepted).
1896 Women's Gym moved to Mitchell Hall.
Second Men's Gymnasium constructed (renamed Assembly Hall in 1917; razed in 1938).
1898 Men's basketball team started.

<< back to top

1900 Kirkwood Observatory constructed.
Wylie Hall partly destroyed by fire.
1902 William Lowe Bryan (1902-37) named tenth president.
Science Hall constructed (renamed Ernest Hiram Lindley Hall in 1957).
1903 School of Medicine established.
1904 Graduate School established.
1906 Student Building constructed with funds from private subscriptions.
Alpha Hall opens.
1907 Second Library Building completed (renamed Student Services Building in 1972, Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988).
1908 School of Education established.
Rose Well House

Theordore F. Rose Well House built with portals of the Second College Building.


1909 The Indiana Union for Men established.
1910 Biology Hall completed (renamed Swain Hall East in 1957).
1912 Extension Division established (renamed Continuing Education in 1965, School of Continuing Studies in 1975).
Indiana, Our Indiana, the most recognized of IU's fight songs, was first performed by the IU Band in November, at a football game against Northwestern. The song has since been played at every IU football and basketball game.
1913 IU Alumni Association formed.
1914 Training School for Nurses established (renamed School of Nursing in 1956).
1917 Department of Military Science established.
Men's gym completed.
1920 School of Commerce and Finance established (renamed School of Business Administration in 1933, School of Business in 1938, Kelley School of Business in 1998).
1921 School of Music established.
Three-year Memorial Fund Campaign begins.
1923 Commerce Building constructed (renamed Business Administration Building in 1935, Social Science Building in 1941, William A. Rawles Hall in 1971).
1924 President's house completed.
Washington Hall dormitory constructed (renamed South Hall in 1925, Ulysses H. Smith Hall in 1959).
1925 Women's Memorial Hall completed.
First Oaken Bucket game Memorial Stadium (renamed Tenth Street Stadium in 1971) completed. The "Old Oaken Bucket" makes its first appearance during the IU-Purdue football game at which the Stadium is dedicated. Stadium will be demolished in 1982 to make way for the construction of Arboretum.
1928 Field House completed (renamed Ora L. Wildermuth Intramural Center in 1971).
1929 Hoagy Carmichael publishes Star Dust at the age of 26.
1931 Chemistry Building completed.
Professor Rolla N. Harger invents the Drunk-O-Meter, the first successful machine for testing human blood alcohol content. Harger turns over the patent to the IU Foundation, for whom it becomes a surprise moneymaker.
1932 Indiana University Memorial Union completed (additions made in 1939 and 1946), becoming the world's largest college union building.
Men's wrestling and track teams win NCAA championships.
1936 Administration Building (renamed William Lowe Bryan Administration Building in 1957), School of Music Building, and Forest Hall (renamed Goodbody Hall in 1962) completed. Alpha Hall (first women's dormitory) purchased by University (razed in 1961).
IU Foundation established.
1937 Herman B Wells named acting president.
School of Medicine Building at Bloomington completed (renamed Burton D. Myers Hall in 1958).
1938 Herman B Wells (1938-62) named eleventh president.
School of Business established.
University School (renamed Wendell W. Wright School of Education Building in 1979) and Stores and Services Building (renamed Ernie Pyle Hall in 1954) completed.
John Bradford donates 900 acres of family land to IU (by 1956 Bradford Woods recreational area was enlarged to 2,300 acres).
Men's cross country team wins NCAA championship.
1940 Alfred C. Kinsey Institute established.
Beech (renamed Morrison Hall in 1942) and Sycamore Halls added to Memorial and Goodbody Halls to form Agnes E. Wells Quandrangle.
North Hall (renamed Cravens Hall in 1959) and West Hall (renamed Edmondson Hall in 1959) added to men's residence complex (renamed Collins Living Learning Center in 1981).
Construction of the Business and Economics Building (renamed Woodburn Hall in 1971).
Men's basketball and cross country teams win NCAA championships.
1941 IU Auditorium completed.
One of the world's first cyclotrons becomes operational at IU.
1942 Junior Division established (renamed University Division in 1970).
Professor Woodburn's home on North College Avenue donated.
Men's cross country team wins NCAA championship.
1944 Ernie Pyle

IU bestows its first honorary doctorate on former student and Pulitzer Prize winner Ernie Pyle.


1945 School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation established.
IU wins Big 10 football championship.
1946 IU zoologist Hermann J. Muller wins Nobel Prize.
Several army buildings moved to campus for housing and classroom use. Dormitory unit completed (renamed John W. Ashton Center in 1980).
1947 Home of IU’s first president, Andrew Wylie, purchased (restored 1961-65).
1948 Alfred Kinsey publishes Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, which becomes a national best-seller.
America's first degree-granting folklore program initiated.
Archives of Folk and Primitive Music founded (renamed Archives of Traditional Music in 1965).
East Hall constructed (burned in 1968).
Link Observatory and income-producing property for its upkeep donated by Goethe and Helen Link.
1949 Geologic Field Station established in Cardwell, Montana, on 60 acres given by the state of Montana.
Men's Quadrangle (renamed Joseph H. Wright Quadrangle in 1959) and University Apartments completed.

<< back to top

1950 IU Press established.
1951 IU holds first Little 500 bicycle race, which will become an annual tradition.
First pre-optometry courses offered in the fall.
1952 Indiana Memorial Union organization admits women for the first time.
1953 Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
1954 120 acres north of campus purchased from Faris estate.
1955 Married housing unit completed (renamed Hepburn, Nutt, Bicknell, and Banta apartments in 1959).
Jordan Hall of Biology and Smithwood Hall (renamed Daniel Read Hall in 1962) completed.
1956 Beck Chapel constructed and School of Law building completed.
Crest toothpaste, using a formula developed by three IU researchers, first sold nationally.
1957 Evermann Apartments completed.
1959 Ballantine Hall and Tower Quadrangle (renamed Nellie S. Teter Quadrangle in 1961) completed.
Biddle Continuation Center opens.
1960 Lilly Library opens as a storehouse of rare and precious books.
Seventeenth Street Football Stadium (renamed Indiana Memorial Stadium in 1971) and Athletic Field House completed.
Married Student Housing complex (renamed Redbud Hill Apartments in 1961) constructed.
1961 Graduate School of Business established.
Woodlawn Dormitories (Morgan, Brown, Monroe, and Green Halls) and Ruby C. Mason cooperative housing unit completed.
Showalter Fountain completed.
Men's swimming team wins first of 20 consecutive Big Ten championships.
1962 Elvis Jacob Stahr Jr. (1962-68) named twelfth president.
Herman B Wells named University Chancellor.
Fine Arts Building, Geology Building, Campus View Apartments, Residence Halls Administration Building, and Royer Pool completed.
James Watson

IU alumnus James Watson becomes the youngest Nobel laureate ever, as he and two others are honored for discovering the structure of DNA.


1963 Aerospace Research Applications Center established under contract with NASA (moved to Indianapolis Center for Advanced Research at IUPUI in 1976).
Psychology Building, Administrative Services Building, Radio and Television Building, and John W. Foster Quadrangle completed.
Trustees designate Dunn Meadow the official campus site for open speech and debate.
1964 Paul V. McNutt Quadrangle and new University School completed.
1965 Wendell L. Willkie Quadrangle and Tulip Tree House completed.
1966 Graduate Library School established (renamed School of Library and Information Science in 1980).
School of Business Building, Student Health Center, and Forest and Herman T. Briscoe Quadrangles completed.
1967 University acquires 245 acres on Monroe Reservoir to house Biological Research Station.
1968 Herman B Wells serves as IU interim president. Joseph Lee Sutton named 13th President of Indiana University.
University's 150th Birthday Fund Drive publicly announced.
Optometry Building and Speech and Hearing Building completed.
East Hall destroyed by fire.
Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
Hoosier football team plays in Rose Bowl.
1969 John W. Snyder named acting Chancellor of IUB from June to July. Byrum E. Carter becomes Chancellor of Bloomington campus of Indiana Univeristy.
Third Library Building completed.
Second Library Building damaged by fire (now Franklin Hall).
Eigenmann Graduate Residence Center completed.
1970 Sesquicentennial celebrated.
Credit Union Building completed.
Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
1971 John W. Ryan (1971-87) named fourteenth president.
Assembly Hall, Musical Arts Center, Glenn Black Archaeological Laboratory, and Publications/Printing Services Building completed.
Metz Carillon donated by Arthur R. Metz Foundation.
AIAW begins first intercollegiate competition for women.
1972 School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) established.
Poplars Hotel purchased and renamed Poplars Research and Conference Center.
Second Library Building renovated as Student Services Building (renamed Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988).
Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship. Team member Mark Spitz goes on to win seven gold medals at the Olympics. Coach Doc Counsilman leads both teams.
1973 Black Culture Center established.
Latino Culture Center (La Casa) established.
Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
1974 Bloomington re-organized as one of IU's core campuses (along with Indianapolis). Title of "Chancellor" changed to "Vice President of the Bloomington Campus".
Department of Journalism established within COAS. Will become an independent school in 1989.
IU Foundation constructs Showalter House.
IU offers first course on comic book history, taught by law student Michael Uslan, who will go on to produce the Oscar-winning movie Batman in 1989
African American Arts Institute founded by Herman Hudson as home for Soul Revue and the new African American Dance Company. American Choral Ensemble founded the following year.
1975 Robert M. O'Neil appointed Vice President of the Bloomington Campus.
School of Optometry and School of Continuing Studies established.
1976 Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
New IU Cyclotron Facility begins operation.
1977 New Geology Core Storage Building opens.
Andrew Wylie House entered on National Register of Historic Places.
1978 Animal Care Building completed.
Breaking Away premiere

Breaking Away filmed on campus. Alumnus Steve Tesich wins an Oscar for his screenplay.


1979 Music Practice Building completed.
Old Crescent buildings (Franklin Hall, Student Building, Maxwell Hall, Owen Hall, Wylie Hall, Kirkwood Hall, Lindley Hall, Rose Well House, and Kirkwood Observatory) listed on Indiana Register of Historic Places.
Football team wins Holiday Bowl.
1980 Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis appointed Vice President of the Bloomington Campus.
IU Visitor Information Center opens.
Old Crescent buildings placed on National Register of Historic Places.
1981 School of Journalism becomes systemwide school.
School of Music students present first performance by a university company at Metropolitan Opera House.
Little 500/Soccer Stadium opens (renamed Bill Armstrong Stadium in 1983).
IU Art Museum completed.
Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
1982 Memorial service held for composer and IU alumnus Hoagy Carmichael.
Composer/conductor Leonard Bernstein in residence as first fellow of Institute for Advanced Study.
William Hammond Mathers Museum completed.
American Studies program in Yugoslavia (IU/Zagreb University) established.
Women's tennis team wins AIAW championship.
Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
1983 Institutes established for American Theatre Studies, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Materials Research.
Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
1984 American Indian Studies Institute established.
1985 Campaign for Indiana begins public fund drive.
Malaysia Project established.
National Center for Excellence in Education funded with six million dollars.
Transportation Center established.
1986 IU Foundation celebrates fiftieth anniversary.
Herman B Wells Program for Outstanding Young Scholars, a four-year scholarship program, announced.
Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation established.
Construction begins on addition to Chemistry Building.
1987 Thomas Ehrlich becomes fifteenth president.
Institute for the Study of Human Capabilities announced.
Men's basketball team wins fifth NCAA championship.
Sample Gates

Sample Gates dedicated.


1988 IU celebrates 150th anniversary of university status.
Title of "Vice President of the Bloomington Campus" changed to "Chancellor, Indiana University Bloomington".
Hoosier football team wins the Liberty Bowl.
1990 School of Fine Arts renamed the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts.
The Student Building catches fire during renovations.
1994 Myles Brand becomes IU's sixteenth president.
School of Music graduate program ties for first place with Juilliard and Eastman in U.S. News and World Report ranking.
Professor of English Yusef Komunyakaa wins Pulitzer Prize for poetry.
Softball team wins its fifth Big Ten championship.
1995 Student Recreational Sports Center opens.
Bess Meshulam Simon Music Library and Recital Center opens.
1996 HEC approves Associate of Arts degree.
John Mellencamp Pavilion, the IU Advanced Research and Technology Institute, and the IU Research Park open.
Dalai Lama visits Bloomington campus.
Wylie Hall rededicated following completion of three-year renovation.
1997 Trustees approve observation of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, beginning in 1998.
Center for Mathematics Education established to improve K-12 education throughout Indiana.
Sears and IU School of Business establish Center for Education and Research in Retailing.
Price Waterhouse Center for Information Technology established at IU School of Business.
IU School of Business becomes IU's Kelley School of Business, in honor of philanthropist and alumnus E. W. Kelley.
The Jack and Linda Gill Center for Instrumentation and Measurement Science established.
1998 IU and Microsoft form licensing agreement, making IU the first university in the U.S. to make Microsoft's software available to students, faculty, and staff.
Asian Culture Center established.
Congress awards IU $1 million to establish the Midwest Proton Radiation Institute at the IU Cyclotron Facility.
1999 IU receives $30 million grant from Lilly Endowment for IT research initiative.
University Chancellor Herman B Wells named IU's Man of the Century.
Establishment of School of Informatics approved.
Memorial fund established to honor graduate student Won Joon Yoon, who was shot and killed by white supremacist Benjamin Smith.

<< back to top

2000 University Chancellor Herman B Wells dies at 97.
Statue of Herman B Wells

Herman B Wells plaza dedicated.


IU partners with Sun Microsystems Inc. to create the Center for Excellence, offering researchers and students more powerful resources in the areas of high performance computing.
2001 Sharon Stephens Brehm installed as Chancellor of Indiana University Bloomington.
Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis named "Chancellor Emeritus" of IU Bloomington.
IU Bloomington named TIME magazine's College Of The Year among research universities.
2002 Gerald Bepko named interim IU president after Myles Brand steps down to become the head of the NCAA.
Inaugural pow wow held by First Nations at Indiana University.
Dedication of Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.
Latino Faculty and Staff Council established.
Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Afghanistan Language Resource Center (CAAALRC) established.
Dedication of Ruth Lilly Auxiliary Library Facility.
Kelley School of Business opens Graduate and Executive Education Center.
2003 Dr. Adam W. Herbert named 17th President of Indiana University.
Dedication of the School of Informatics building.
Coach Jerry Yeagley leads the Hoosiers men's soccer team to a sixth NCAA championship in his final season.
Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis appointed interim chancellor of the IU Bloomington campus and interim senior vice president for academic affairs.
2004 Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute opens its doors to treat cancer patients.
Intel names IU Bloomington #1 wireless college campus.
IU partners with Bloomington and community leaders to open Inventure business incubator.
Global Village Living-Learning Center opens for students with international interests.
The Lilly Endowment, Inc. gives $53 million for life sciences research, the largest grant IU Bloomington has ever received.
The Hoosier men's soccer team wins second NCAA Championship in a row, this time under new head coach Mike Freitag.
2005 Honors College renamed for philanthropist Edward L. Hutton.
Main Library renamed in honor of Herman B Wells.

<< back to top


Indiana University
107 S. Indiana Ave. Bloomington, IN 47405-7000
Phone: (812) 855-4848
Comments

Last updated: 07 September 2007
Copyright 2008, The Trustees of Indiana University