Our History

Mat-Su Regional Medical Center History
Mat-Su Regional Medical Center's history began in 1935 when President FDR relocated stricken farmers from Minnesota to the lush Matanuska Valley as part of his "New Deal." These "colonists" founded the "New Colony Hospital" in Palmer, AK to serve the Matanuska Colony and area Natives, miners, trappers and farmers. The original structure burned to the ground in 1946 and services were relocated to different borough buildings for several years. The name of the facility changed to Valley Hospital in 1947, when Valley Hospital Association (VHA) was incorporated. VHA rebuilt the hospital in 1952 and financed its construction through the "Pennies for Palmer" crusade held nationwide by the Presbyterian Church. An outpatient center was added in 1989 in Wasilla, AK to accommodate space for physician practices and to provide health care services to the growing population in the north and west ends of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. VHA merged with Triad Hospitals, Inc. in December 2003 in order to build a new acute care facility in a more central location between Palmer and Wasilla, AK. The new hospital was named Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.

Key Development and Capital Projects
Completion of and relocation to 74-bed replacement acute care facility January 2006
Development of cardiac service line including cardiac catheterization services
Construction of a Medical Office Building adjacent to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center (MSRMC)
Relocation and syndication of surgery center from Wasilla MOB to new MSRMC MOB
Ongoing physician recruitment in primary care and multiple specialty areas


   ©2008 FastHealth Corporation