Join ·  Home ·  Forums ·  Blogs ·  Gallery ·  Wiki ·  Help ·  Rules ·  Search ·  Calendar ·  Members ·  Store ·  Contact Us   RSS 2.0 Feed

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · Search

Search this forum only?

More Search Options

Did you know that we are continually looking for things we can do to improve your experience on our site and in our forums? If you have a suggestion please make it public over in our SUGGESTION BOX!

> Baton Rouge Growth and Development
NCB
post Jan 20 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4888

Everyone has heard about the major increase in population that Baton Rouge has seen, and the major increase in business and development in the area since Katrina, so here is a thread dedicated directly to it.

I will post as many population estimates and projections, along with developments in the area as I can find. (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
82 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
NCB
post Jan 29 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #21

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

Hey richyb, do you know anything about this tower? (A bit color distorted)
(IMG:http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/153/riverfrontofficetowerdevelopme.png)

http://www.trahanarchitects.com/
^Click on "Architecture" at the bottom of the page, and then click on "06" at the top of the next page, and the "River Front Office Development" project will pop up.

Is this project in Baton Rouge? Considering all of Trahan Architects' projects are in the Baton Rouge area I would think it would be in BR, but I havent heard anything about it at all, and it looks to be a pretty nice sized tower around 25-27 storeys.

+Quote Post
Mith242
post Jan 29 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #22

Gigalopolis
Group Icon

Member No.: 4398

That's a very interesting design. It reminds me just a bit of a few projects I've seen for Beijing.

+Quote Post
NCB
post Jan 29 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #23

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

^Yea I think the design is pretty cool. It would certaintly stand out in Baton Rouge.

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Jan 30 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #24

City
Group Icon

Group: Members+
Member No.: 8729

Wow NCB, you are on the ball !!! How did you find that ? What made you go there ?

Yes,this is in BR , I ran across this almost a year ago . I talked to Trahan about it ; they actually own that small tract of land at the corner of River Rd./North Blvd.; if you notice(it's blurry) to the right is the Old State Capitol ; behind it is the Shaw Arts Center ; to the left is the Hilton Capitol Center(Old Heidelberg). It seems like it's just in the "Vision" stage.Nothing more.
Not sure how serious they are about it ? I have heard nothing more about this ! I know a few weeks back Trahan Architects purchased the old Jumonville warehouse nearby,across from the Hilton. Trahan plans to retain the warehouse's existing brick exterior but expand the structure vertically. It would contain retail,restaurant,or artist space at street level,Trahan's offices above,and condos or more offices on top.From what BRBusiness Report recently said, it would be only going up to 3 stories from 2. Will this purchase affect the "Vision" for the Riverfront office tower ? I wish I knew ! I'll sure let you know if I find-out anything ! That would be a great addition to the growing skyline !
Actually LSU School of Architecture has some renderings for the same property. Very nice,though not as tall. Most of that land belongs to BR Water Co. It's mostly a primitive, weed lot, jumbled little bldgs.,heavy hydrological eqipment next door to the Shaw Ctr. They said the land was for sale, but some say they need to donate the "eye-sore" on the revitalized riverfront !

This post has been edited by richyb83: Jan 30 2006, 04:31 PM

+Quote Post
tombarnes
post Jan 30 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #25

Town
Group Icon

Member No.: 4904

It's great to see Baton Rouge getting some cutting-edge architecture! If only Jackson could follow the same path....

+Quote Post
NCB
post Jan 30 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #26

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

QUOTE(richyb83 @ Jan 30 2006, 12:43 AM) *
Wow NCB, you are on the ball !!! How did you find that ? What made you go there ?

Yes,this is in BR , I ran across this almost a year ago . I talked to Trahan about it ; they actually own that small tract of land at the corner of River Rd./North Blvd.; if you notice(it's blurry) to the right is the Old State Capitol ; behind it is the Shaw Arts Center ; to the left is the Hilton Capitol Center(Old Heidelberg). It seems like it's just in the "Vision" stage.Nothing more.

Thanks for the info, very interesting! (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/grin.png)
If the office tower was just a "vision" before Katrina, I would have to think it is being considered much more seriously now with all the the business growth in downtown Baton Rouge.

QUOTE(tombarnes @ Jan 30 2006, 06:39 PM) *
It's great to see Baton Rouge getting some cutting-edge architecture! If only Jackson could follow the same path....

I'm very happy with the new architecture on these new buildings in Baton Rouge! Hopefully Jackson will end up following the same path. (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/grin.png)

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Jan 31 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #27

City
Group Icon

New Louisiana State Museum grand opening on Wed.Feb.1st ;
Located on Fourth Street and Spanish Town Rd. in the shadows of the State Capitol. 71,000sq.ft. 2 floors
There's a 47-foot Louisiana shrimp boat,a cotton gin,Civil War submarine and other war memorabilia. Also exhibits on the Louisiana Purchase, and the state's Indian Mounds,among other displays.
The museum will be a welcome new attraction for BR's emerging downtown scene,and a great asset for the rest of Louisiana too. A state treasure !

This post has been edited by richyb83: Jan 31 2006, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
NCB
post Jan 31 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #28

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

^Thats great! I'm definately planning on checking out the LA State Museum, it looks very interesting! (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
tombarnes
post Feb 1 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #29

Town
Group Icon

Member No.: 4904

As mentioned in another thread, are there any plans to expand the airport in Baton Rouge? I don't think the former Ryan Airport (now Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, has had a runway expansion since the 1980's. While there's no doubt that the airport and the city have grown, it's obvious that the pace of the airport's growth has been much slower than the surrounding metro area. What plans are in place for the airport's future growth? Is there serious discussion of building another airport in the area?

This post has been edited by tombarnes: Feb 1 2006, 06:49 AM

+Quote Post
Mith242
post Feb 1 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #30

Gigalopolis
Group Icon

Member No.: 4398

QUOTE(NCB @ Jan 31 2006, 10:24 PM) *
^Thats great! I'm definately planning on checking out the LA State Museum, it looks very interesting! (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Hey Nate, if possible and if you don't mind I wouldn't mind seeing a few shots of it. (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/grin.png)

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Feb 1 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #31

City
Group Icon

If you can NCB ? A possible pic. ? Go to:
http://brgov.com/dept/ddd >Downtown events > La.State Museum Grand opening...... they have a nice side-shot with Capitol in the background

The Museum also has a 5,000 sq.ft 3-story enclosed porch
The New Orleans architects did a great job with only $11 mil. to work with !

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 1 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #32

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Feb 1 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #33

City
Group Icon

Thanks NCB ! Nice job as always !

I wish there was some way I could find some pics. with north-side views of the Museum .

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 1 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #34

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

QUOTE(richyb83 @ Feb 1 2006, 10:22 PM) *
Thanks NCB ! Nice job as always !

I wish there was some way I could find some pics. with north-side views of the Museum .

No problem! (IMG:http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/grin.png)

I'll try to find some more pictures of the museum as well, though I haven't had much luck so far.

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 2 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #35

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

Amedisys spending millions on headquarters
Amedisys is ready to make the former Schwegmann's grocery store on Sherwood Forest its new corporate headquarter. The company has filed for a $12 million building permit to remodel 16,726 square feet for an office consolidation. A media contact for Amedisys wan not available for more information. Last year, the company paid $4.2 million for the 16.3-acre site that includes the grocery store. At that time, the home health care company targeted the fourth quarter of 2006 for the renovation. Amedisys leases buildings for its headquarters, which houses about 200 employees.
^From "The Greater Baton Rouge Business Report."

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Feb 2 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #36

City
Group Icon

It's good to see the property finally being re-developed ; it has been an eye-sore for many years.

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 2 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #37

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

^Yea it's nice to see something finally happening at that property. I think something coming to the old Schwegmann's lot is long overdue.

+Quote Post
richyb83
post Feb 2 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #38

City
Group Icon

Construction on a trendy mid-rise condo has started near LSU on historical Highland Road ;the parking garage on the bottom is nearly complete.
http://www.sterlingnorthgate.com/fw/main/Streetside-449.html

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 2 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #39

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

^Thanks for the link, richyb! I hadn't found much about that building on the internet.

Northgate University Housing Building
Height: 8 storeys; 85 feet
Use: Apartments

(IMG:http://www.sterlingnorthgate.com/_filelib/ImageGallery/Sterling/NorthGate_BatonRouge_LA/northgate_streetside.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.sterlingnorthgate.com/_filelib/ImageGallery/Sterling/NorthGate_BatonRouge_LA/northgate_poolside.jpg)

+Quote Post
NCB
post Feb 6 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #40

Metropolitan Area
Group Icon

Does anyone know of any Baton Rouge devlopments not listed, or websites for individual developments?

+Quote Post

82 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Title Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new   72 NCB 4981 22nd July 2007 - 11:05 AM
Last post by: yis2003yis
No New Posts   3 dan326 213 3rd July 2007 - 02:51 PM
Last post by: richyb83
No New Posts   0 brgrowth 76 25th September 2007 - 02:02 PM
Last post by: brgrowth
No New Posts   4 dan326 323 2nd February 2008 - 03:01 PM
Last post by: richyb83

- Mobile Version Time is now: 18th April 2008 - 03:26 AM
Get Firefox RSS 2.0 Support National Public Radio Geo Visitors Map Forums Directory