Northumbrian Railways

Amble Branch

Navigation




AddFreeStats.com Free Web Stats!

 

The Amble Branch by Bart Rippon

Model Railway, Railway Books, Railway Videos, Steam Railways

Links

Amble Branch

5.75 mile branch primarily built to carry coal to the port of Amble, some 750,000 tons/year of which was being handled in the 1920s. The line was single track from Chevington to Broomhill and double track from Broomhill to Amble.

Chevington

Opened in 1870. From 1879 to 1930 Amble branch passenger trains used the down side bay platform. Platforms were staggered with the down platform to the north of up platform. Single storey brick building on down platform housed passenger facilities. Closed 1958.




Chevington Station. (Unknown)

Broomhill

A single platform was provided on the down side of the line with a long single storey wooden building housing offices and waiting rooms etc. A goods shed stood to the northeast of the platform. The site has been cleared since closure.




Broomhill Station 1920s. (Unknown)




Amble

Single passenger platform on down side. Building was a two storey brick structure with the first floor at platform level, Amble Station Building Plans 1878. The goods yard with shed stood to the southwest of the platform. The line continued for some 500 yards beyound the platform to the various coal staithes. Site cleared since closure.

Ordnance Survey Maps of Amble







Amble Station, LNER 2-4-2T No 1160 with a single coach train. (R.S.Carpenter)








Amble 1960s? (Unknown)










Coal Staiths at Amble Harbour 1970. (K.L.Taylor)