Swiss Jetpack (Crazy Pilot)
Like a comic book dream come true, Yves Rossy, a pilot for Swiss International Airline, has managed to successfully build and fly a personal jetpack.
He goes by the nom de vol “FusionMan” and the video of his flight must be seen to be believed - especially the moment when he overtakes a propeller aircraft.
Upcoming plans include flying from a hot air balloon, an overflight of the Grand Canyon and formation flying with other aircraft.
- 4 miniature jet engines mounted under the wing
- Current deployment from free fall jump out of an aircraft, though land take-off is planned soon
- Steering takes place through body movements
- The only control is engine speed
- The only instrument is an acoustic altimeter
- The flight ends with the deployment of a parachute