Download it from Emusic
Digg this article
Add to del.icio.us
The downside of having a built-in blog hook on your album is that, while you'll get more exposure, it will often focus solely on a dubious interpretation of this hook. One wonders if Alaska in Winter auteur Brandon Bethancourt has come to regret asking Condon, his childhood friend (not to mention Beirut collaborator Heather Trost), to play on the record, effectively branding it as a Beirut side-project in exchange for more album sales.
Of course, the one song on the album that sounds really Beiruty, the drippy anthem "Close Your Eyes-- We Are Blind", has garnered the most attention so far. It's an anomaly, and I'll take the sputtering, richly-harmonized electro of "The Homeless and the Hummingbirds", the sprightly piano ballad "Your Red Dress (Wedding Song at Cemetery)", or the thunderous box-step of "Rain on Every Weekend" over it any day. While Bethancourt and Condon share a fondness for woozy brass and sinuous gypsy strains, their music is drastically different at structural and aesthetic levels.
Dance Party in the Balkans hybridizes a far-flung variety of forms into chilly, beat-oriented, downtempo hymns: amorous Balkan strings, the melismatic vocal tapestries of classical Arabian music (often so gently vocoder-kissed as to sound more spectral than robotic), icily splintered piano loops (which are actually played live), skittering hip-hop percussion (ditto), and soaringly simple indie pop melodies obscured in an atmospheric haze. The voices droning through the splashy percussion and glacial pianos of "Twenty Four Hours in Lake of Ice" sound like they haven't seen the sun in some time, a semse that persists through the more abstract, less rhythmic half of the songs.
It's difficult to overemphasize the pervasive chill that hovers, paradoxically, around the album's warm melodies: Even its most luridly romantic moments sound remote and contemplative. The unfortunately-titled "Lovely Lovely Love" is such a moment, and among the record's highlights: a swelling, non-instrumental sound-alike of Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" for the indie rock set. Where Condon's voice soars over Beirut's music, Bethancourt's nestles into his own, which partially explains the chilliness. Also, he recorded most of the music in Alaska, in winter, before returning to New Mexico to flesh it out. After you check out the Iditarod and the aurora borealis, there's not much to do besides hole up with your music and think about how freaking cold it is.
The album's resistance to pop structures is another key to its aloofness-- instead, the arrangements tend toward the incantatory, the fugal, the intuitive drive forward. Hooks last for entire songs (see the tense, cyclical piano figure undergirding the lyrical strings on "Balkan Lowrider Anthem") or never appear at all (see the stately dirge "The Beautiful Burial Flowers We Will Never See"), lending a sense of gusty expanse to an album pinioned by taut rhythms. This is suburban low-riding music at its most self-aware: a far cry from Beirut's guitar-intensive chamber music.
-Brian Howe, December 04, 2007
- Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend
- Radiohead In Rainbows [CD 2]
- Jonny Greenwood There Will Be Blood OST
- The Mars Volta The Bedlam in Goliath
- Radiohead In Rainbows
- Cat Power Jukebox
- The Magnetic Fields Distortion
- Times New Viking Rip It Off
- Hot Chip Made in the Dark
- Beach House Devotion
- British Sea Power Do You Like Rock Music?
- Atlas Sound Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But
- Fleet Foxes Sun Giant EP
- Beck Odelay: Deluxe Edition
- Michael Jackson Thriller: 25th Anniversary Edition
- The Simpsons Testify
- Hercules and Love Affair Hercules and Love Affair
- High Places 03/07 – 09/07
- Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks Real Emotional Trash
- Andrew Bird Soldier On EP
- Xiu Xiu Women as Lovers
- Fuck Buttons Street Horrrsing
- El Guincho Alegranza!
- Black Mountain In the Future
- The Mountain Goats Heretic Pride
- Nine Inch Nails Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D
- Lupe Fiasco The Cool
- The Ruby Suns Sea Lion
- Goldfrapp Seventh Tree
- Los Campesinos! Hold on Now, Youngster...
- Drive-By Truckers Brighter Than Creation's Dark
- The Raveonettes Lust Lust Lust
- Morrissey Greatest Hits
- Neon Neon Stainless Style
- Daft Punk Alive 2007
- Rivers Cuomo Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo
- Why? Alopecia
- Burial Untrue
- The Honeydrips Here Comes the Future
- Jason Collett Here's to Being Here
Measured over the past 3 months (Last update: 3/25/2008)