||Date of Action
|24072 Myrtle Street
This Victorian home was built in the 1890s for Clayton Winton.
In 1976, his descendant Dr. Henry Winton had the estate refurbished and
turned into a law office.
|18701 Hesperian Boulevard
Neal and Sarah McConaghy were some of the early farmers of the Hayward Area,
beginning their agricultural pursuits in 1864. McConaghy produce was shipped from Roberts Landing in San Lorenzo
markets in San Francisco. Their son John, born on July 28th, 1871, continued with the enterprise.
The home was saved from demolition in the 1970s by a group of concerned citizens.
|944-952 B Street
||IOOF Lodge: This hall, for the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, was built in 1868 and is still used for the same purpose.
It is believed to be the first IOOF Hall built in California.
|1105 C Street
||IDES Lodge: Since the 1890s, this
has been an important place for the Portuguese Irmandede Do Dovino Espirito Santo (IDES),
and is the site of the annual Cathlolic Holy Ghost celebration.
|22701 Main Street
This building was first a post office until the Bradford post office was built on C Street.
It is now leased by the city and is the downtown museum for the Hayward Area Historical Society.
|22738 Mission Blvd.
||Historic City Hall:
This city hall was used from 1930 until 1969 when it was deemed unsafe if a major earthquake struck.
The building sits directly over the Hayward Fault.
|24077 Second Street
Also known as Stanton Hall, this home was built in 1912 by mining magnate William Connors.
The house boasted seven bedrooms before it was divided into apartments in the 1940s.
It also contained a reception hall, living room, music room, dining room, and kitchen
as well as several stained glass windows. It is once again a private residence.
|27355 Hesperian Blvd.
This home was built in 1918 as the working headquarters for the Oliver family farm. Today it
is owned by the Hayward Area Parks and Recreation Department.
|714 B Street
Built by A.E. Fischer adjacent to his own residence on the corner of Montgomery and B Street,
in 1921. The newlyweds George and Rosa Popara bought the house to become their family home for the next sixty years. The Popara's had five children: Ramona, George, Eugene, Earl and Al. They owned and operated a downtown bakery just two blocks from home.
|1325 B Street
||Queen Anne Victorian House:
The house was built in approximately 1892 for Mr. Alonzo Bradford and was the childhood
home of his son, Harry Bradford who was the founder and first curator of the Hayward
|22248 Main Street
||Victorian House: Linekin Building (1893).
This Queen Anne-style Victorian was built by William Smith, architect, for the second
president of Hayward's Board of Trustees, Leander Linekin. Linekin also owned a hardware
store. The interior of the house has extensive redwood molding and intricate hardware.
Later it became the home of the Masson family, then the O'Dell family, and in 1995 was
rehabilitated by the Machado and Goulart family. Since 1997 it has been a law office.
||Hunts Water Tower: The Hunt Foods Water Tower has served as a symbol for both "The Pickle Works" and Hunt Foods, both mainstays of the City's economy for many years. After the first plant burned down in 1901, a new plant was constructed later that year at it's current location sometime during the latter portion of the 1950s.