1929-1939 ALTERNATIVE TRACKS AFTER MATERASSI ACCIDENT
 
In 1929, cars competed only in the Monza Grand Prix which was run exclusively on the high-speed loop for safety reasons. Varzi in an Alfa Romeo and Alfieri Maserati in Maserati touched 200 kilometres per hour (124 mph) for the first time in their fastest laps. The same loop was used in 1931 for a motorcycle Monza Grand Prix in which overall winner Taruffi recorded nearly 170 kilometres per hour (105,4 mph) lap average on a Norton.
In the meantime the president of the Automobile Sports Commission Vincenzo Florio, the enthusiastic Sicilian patron, had studied a new course which, leaving the structure of the circuit unchanged, made use only of the road track and the banked curve on the south linked by a short straight and two ninety-degree bends. The so- called "Florio circuit" with a total lenght of 6,680 metres (4,14 mi) was also used by motorcycles and, in the last race before the war, the 1938 Grand Prix races were run there both by cars and motorcycles. The full 10-kilometre circuit was used again by cars in the 1932 and 1933 Grand Prix races. In the latter year Campari, Borzacchini and Czaykowski lost their lives on the southern banked curve due to oil on the track.
Starting grid of the 2nd heat of 1929 Monza GP, which replaced the Italian GP, suspended after the 1928 tragical accident of Materassi.
 
This accident with three deaths led to the adoption of a series of alternative layouts, the worst of which must be considered the one adopted in 1934, when segments including the small southern curve, the southern banked curve, the short "Florio circuit" link and half of the grandstand straight with a U-bend to be taken from a dead stop were used.
Two artificial chicanes were inserted in the circuit. As a result of all this averages were very low, the winners Fagioli and Caracciola in a Mercedes making scarcely 105 kilometres per hour (65 mph). For the following two years cars returned to the "Florio circuit", full of chicanes, then in 1937 the race was run on the Livorno circuit, and in 1938 there was a final exhibition on the Florio circuit, which was crowned by the splendid victory of Tazio Nuvolari in an Auto Union ahead of the powerful Mercedes team.
1936 Italian GP:
Nuvolari on Alfa Romeo 12C was followed by Rosemayer, on Union, at chicane of Florio circuit.
 
For political reason the motorcycle races were transferred in 1932, '33 and '34 to Rome, where they held their Grand Prix on the Littorio circuit. They reappeared at Monza in a critical year 1935, the year of the Ethiopian war and of econowic sanctions against Italy, taking part in a purely Italian race over the full 10-kilometre circuit. In that race the twin cylinder Guzzi 500 set a general average of over 170 kilometres per hour (105.4 mph) while the Rondine 500 4-cylinder with supercharger did 172 km/h (107 mph) on its fastest lap. Having regained its standing as an international classic in 1936 and 1937 the motorcycle Grand Prix made it clear that, on a fast track like Monza, Italian bikes were clearly superior to the finest German products.
The central stand was built in 1922 and updated in 1933.
 
In both these events the moto Guzzi 250, with very high averages, higher than those established in the 350 class, easily beat the 2-stroke DKW with supercharger. In the 500 class the BMW supercharged twins were beaten in 1936 by Tenni on a Moto Guzzi twin, and in 1937 by Aldrighetti on a supercharged 4-cylinder Gilera, who averaged over 177 km/h (109 mph) on his fastest lap.
In 1938 an extensive programme of modifications to the racing facilities was put in effect including resurfacing of the road course, pulling down of the two banked curves on the speed track, construction of a new and more capacious central grandstand of reinforced concrete, new pits and service buildings, and renovation of the score board installations for the public. Work was begun after the Italian Grand Prix in mid-September and was completed the following year. On the road circuit the central straight was shifted westward and linked to the grandstand straight by two 90þ bends with 60-metre (646 ft) radii, which were called the 'porphyry bends" due to the stone paving applied.
The new track measured 6,300 metres and was used through 1954. The main changes made to the facilities just before World War II were: the new grandstand, with 2,000 seats; a restaurant on the ground floor and a turret for timers; 30 refuelling pits built of masonry; a monumental track entrance; a number of additional garages; various service buildings added or rebuilt. They could be utilized only during a few testing sessions such as those of the new Alfa Romeo 512 with rear engine and the supercharged 4-cylinder Bianchi 500.
The central stand works ended in 1940.
 
Changes during the years  Back to Top
1922/1928 Construction and first races on the original tracks.
1929/1939 In consequence of the Materassi's accident, races are run on the alternative tracks
1940/1954 After the war interruption, the activity starts again in 1948
1955/1971 Construction of the high speed track and other important works
1972/1978 Chicane and variants to reduce the high speed
1979/1988 New works to update the circuit
1989/1997 New pit complex and the interventions for the security
1998/OGGI New hospitality buildings and the technological modernizations
 
 
 Register
 Login
 


©2007
Autodromo
Nazionale Monza
all rights
reserved

SuperBike World Championship