History of our Area Chamber of CommerceLake Minnetonka has 125 miles of Shoreline and covers 14,528 acres. The deepest part of Lake Minnetonka is
Crystal Bay near the Lafayette Country Club in the City of Minnetonka Beach at 113 feet. The romance and beauty
of Lake Minnetonka have been extolled in story and song. The first inhabitants, the Dakota Indians, regarded the lake as sacred. Enchanted Island was the favorite spot for the Dakota to hold tribal dances. In 1852, Governor Alexander Ramsey made Minnetonka the official name of the lake - Minnetonka, derived from an Indian word meaning great piece of water, though the Indians had never named the lake themselves.
The Lake Minnetonka Area Chamber of Commerce is currently comprised of and services six Cities, a medley of the best "Lake Minnetonka" Cities. Our area is sometimes referred to as (Westonka). Westonka is better understood in the following way: It is the name given to encompass the stretch of land and water between Navarre and the western end of the lake. (Lake Minnetonka ) All of our serviced cities are WEST of Minnetonka and Wayzata.
Board of Directors