About The Revue Cinema | Revue Film Society
About The Revue Cinema

The Revue Cinema in 1935.
City of Toronto Archives.

The Revue has occupied its Roncesvalles Ave. location since 1911 and, until June 2006, never closed its doors. That gave it the distinction of being one of the oldest continuously running movie theatres in the country.
Built by the Suburban Amusement Company Ltd., the cinema had a name change and became the Revue Cinema by 1917.

Last year, at the urging of the Revue Film Society, the Toronto Preservation Board recognized the heritage value of elements of the Revue’s façade, and recommended historic designation. The building is described as having classical Edwardian details, typical of the World War 1 era.

The distinctive Art Deco marquee was a later addition but became the feature everyone associated with the slightly shabby but endearing neighbourhood theatre. It came crashing down one night last February, when a weakened supporting chain snapped under the weight of ice and snow. The metal lettering that graced the canopy was saved.

The Revue, which was part of the Festival Cinemas group, had been owned by Etobicoke resident, accountant and film buff Peter McQuillan. He died in 2004, and his children decided to sell it after continuing to operate it and two other theatres, the Royal and the Kingsway, for almost two years.

A new era is about to begin: sold to local residents Danny and Letty Mullin, and leased to the Revue Film Society, the Revue will become a not-for-profit cinema run by a community-based organization.