World War II Study
CAPE (Center for Alternative Programs in Education)
On December 1, 1865, when Henry Martin
Tupper undertook the organization of a theology class as a means
of teaching Freedmen to read and interpret the Bible, no one envisioned
the end result of this being the establishment of a university.
Rapid growth in the size of this class led to the purchase of land
in 1866 for the purpose of erecting a building to serve as both
church and school. The school was named the "Raleigh Institute,"
and it functioned as such until 1870, when it was supplanted by
the "Shaw Collegiate Institute." In 1875, it was incorporated
as the "Shaw University," which name it still bears, with
the charter specifying that students were to be admitted without
regard to race, creed, or sex. The school does not bear the name
of its founder but of Elijah Shaw, the benefactor who provided funds
for the first building, Shaw Hall, erected in 1871.
The co-educational emphasis of the institution was noted with the erection of the Estey Hall (1873), the first women's dormitory on a co-educational campus in the United States. Named for its primary benefactor, Jacob Estey, the building was used as a residence hall for women until 1968 and for men from 1968 to 1970. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The University graduated its first college
class in 1878, its first class of medical doctors in 1886, awarded
its first law degree in 1890, and its first pharmacy degree in 1893.
In 1909, the Normal Department was supplanted by an Education Department,
and in 1910, the Preparatory Department became a four-year academy.
The professional schools were closed in 1918, but the college, theological
department, and academy were continued, the latter existing until
1926. The theological department became a theological seminary in
1933 and continued as part of the University until 1976, when it
became an independent institution. Since 1921, Shaw has functioned
primarily as a liberal arts college, although it has retained its
name as a university.
In 1931, the University elected its first
Black president, Dr. William Stuart Nelson, who was president from
1931 to 1936. In 1963, the University elected its first president
who is an alumnus of the school, Dr. James E. Cheek. He remained
president from December 1963 through June 1969. Dr.
Clarence G. Newsome is the 13th President of Shaw University.
Under his leadership, Shaw University has taken many bold and
progressive strides towards the mark of excellence. Under his
leadership the University has broken ground for the
Shaw University Center for Early Childhood Education, Research and
Development; the Social Work Program has been granted candidacy
towards full accreditation; the Shaw University Divinity School
(SUDS) was awarded Full Accredited Membership status for 10 years by
the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) for the first time in
its nearly 100-year history, and Avaya Inc., a leading global
provider of communications networks and services for businesses, was
chosen to advance the capability of students, faculty and the campus
community into a new age of technology with Internet Protocol (IP)
Shaw University has two buildings listed in the National Registry
of Historic Places. Estey Hall, erected in 1873, was the nation’s
first dormitory to house women on a coeducational campus. The Leonard
School of Medicine, founded in 1885, was the first four-year medical
school to train Black doctors and pharmacists in the South.
World War II Study
Shaw University led a research study to investigate why Black WWII
veterans were overlooked for the Medal of Honor. The study concluded
that racism was the reason Black soldiers did not receive the top
military award. After citing its conclusion, the 272-page Shaw study
went on to recommend and name ten soldiers whose military records
warranted receipt of the Medal of Honor.
In January 1995 the team’s findings
were delivered to Washington, D.C. In April 1996 the University
received word that the Pentagon had chosen seven of the ten soldiers
recommended in the study to receive the prestigious medal. All of
those nominated had received less distinguished awards for their
military service. President William Jefferson Clinton awarded the
Medals of Honor on January 13, 1997. The Pentagon’s reaction
to the $320,585.00 federally funded study marked the third time
in history the military has re-evaluated military records to award
the Medal of Honor. Only one of the seven nominees, 1st Lt. Vernon
Baker of St. Maries, Idaho, was alive to receive the medal. Those
who received the Medal of Honor posthumously were: 1st Lt. Charles
L. Thomas of Detroit; Pvt. George Watson of Birmingham, Ala.; Staff
Sgt. Edward A. Carter Jr. of Los Angeles, CA; 1st Lt. John R. Fox
of Boston; Pfc. Willy F. James Jr. of Kansas City, Kan.; and Staff
Sgt. Ruben Rivers of Tecumseh, Okla.
CAPE (Center for Alternative
Programs in Education)
The Center for Alternative Programs in Education (CAPE) allows students
in nine cities across North Carolina the opportunity to pursue an
academic degree through flexible course scheduling, independent
study, and credit for prior learning experiences. CAPE sites are
located in Ahoskie, Asheville, Durham, Fayetteville, High Point,
Kannapolis, Raleigh, Rocky Mount/Wilson, and Wilmington.
Shaw University is affiliated with the Central Intercollegiate Athletic
Association (CIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association
(NCAA) Division II. Shaw University offers a variety of collegiate
sports and boasts of being 1995 CIAA Champions in women’s
volleyball and 1994 CIAA champions in women’s softball and
men’s baseball, and finalists in tennis. The athletic department
consists of 10 athletic programs.
Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Track/Indoor-Outdoor, Cross Country
Basketball, Volleyball, Softball, Track/Indoor-Outdoor, Cross Country
Shaw University is heavily involved in the community. Community
service and outreach programs include a pre-college program sponsored
by the US Environmental Protection Agency for 8th through 12th graders
to enhance their skills in mathematics, English, science, and computer
science; a community development project sponsored by US Housing
and Urban Development to help small businesses; and "Peers
as Partners," a program in which Shaw University students enrolled
in ethics classes help public school students with peer mediation
and conflict resolution.
Organizations and clubs on-campus include The Shaw Players and Company,
the Student Government Association, cheerleaders, intramural and
extramural sports, sororities, fraternities, gospel and university
choirs, the jazz, pep, and concert bands, and COGs (Children of
God) represent a wide range of student activities that exist at
Shaw University. WSHA radio station, the Honda Quiz Bowl Team, the
Shawensis Literary Club, the Student North Carolina Association
of Educators, the Pre-Alumni Council, and the Shaw Journal Campus
Newspaper are a few of the University’s pre-professional organizations
that provide great ways to enhance your classroom activities while
enjoying the camaraderie of fellow students.
Shaw University has been called the mother of African-American colleges
in North Carolina. North Carolina Central, Elizabeth City State,
and Fayetteville State Universities were founded by Shaw graduates.
The founder of Livingstone College spent his first two college years
at Shaw before transferring to Lincoln University, and what is now
A&T State University was located on Shaw’s campus during
its first year of existence. In addition, the Student Non-Violence
Coordinating Committee (SNCC) was an outgrowth of a conference held
on the campus of Shaw University in 1960.