In 1993, the Chinese Christian Union Church (www.ccuc.net) purchased the former On Leong Merchant Association Building from the federal government. This 30, 000 square foot building is Chinatown's only historical landmark. In addition to using the building for its youth and Mandarin language ministry, the church created the Pui Tak Center. In Chinese, "pui tak" means to build character or cultivate virtue.
Since its founding in 1915, CCUC has had a deep commitment to serving the spiritual needs of the community. But it was also concerned about serving the needs of new immigrants. At various times in history, it offered English classes for adults, sponsored homework tutoring and Chinese language classes for children and opened up its gym to the community. In the 1960's and 1970's, the church hosted a monthly volunteer medical clinic during a time in which there were few physicians in Chinatown. the church also started the community's first preschool in 1953.