Syracuse Memorial Park

1250 South 1000 West
Syracuse, Utah  84075


 

Mvc-002f.jpg (53629 bytes)Click here for:

* Cemetery Burial Records (thru 1997)
* Directions to Cemetery
* Facts
* History

* Map (not yet available)



Cemetery Burial Records:

    To access the cemetery burial records, click on the first letter of the surname you are looking for:   

A B C D,E,F G,H I,J,K,L M N,O,P,Q, R S T U,V,W,X,Y,Z

Note:  Some of these tables are large and may take extra time to download.


Directions
:
 

    Take exit 331 and go west three miles.  Turn right at traffic light on 1000 West.   Continue 1/4 mile to cemetery on the west side of the street.

Facts: 

Owner Syracuse City Corporation
1787 South 2000 West, Syracuse, Utah  84075
Phone:  (801) 825-1477
Contact:  Jana Schofield
Sexton Dana Love
Acreage 6.98 acres
Year Established 1896
Cemetery Age 103 Years
First Burial 1896
Number of Burial Spaces 5,325
Number of Burials to Date 1139


History
:

    On July 17, 1896 two small girls died from whooping cough within a few hours of each other.  They were the daughters of James G. Wood and Thomas E. Briggs.   There was no place in the community of Syracuse to bury the dead.  Burials prior to this were in Kaysville or Bountiful cemeteries.  Bishop David Cook quickly organized a committee consisting of Alma Stoker, Bishop John Stoker of the Bountiful Ward and Thomas J. Thurgood.  A parcel of land was selected and donated from Alma Stoker's farm.  It had been used for an adobe brickyard from which several nearby homes were built.
    The services for the two girls were held jointly on July 19 at 2 p.m. in the school-church located on the corner of Peter Christensen's farm.  An account of the occasion is as follows.

   Upon entering the house and beholding the two little caskets which stood side by side, it caused a feeling of sadness to come over your scribe, and yet there was a consoling influence be-speaking the innocence of the contents of the two white caskets.  There was a feeling of gloom cast over the congregation at first, but that soon vanished, and a sweet heavenly feeling prevailed.  Consoling indeed were the comments of Elders William Beazer, Amos Cook, Bro. Cook of Syracuse, and Henry Rampton (counselor to bishop in East Bountiful), Thomas Briggs Sr., Bishop Christensen, T.J. Steed and counselor James T. Walker.  Thirty five conveyances followed the remains to the new cemetery.

   The graves were about a rod apart, and were in the northeast part of the cemetery.  After the caskets were lowered into the graves, Bishop Christensen from the South Hooper Ward stood between the two graves and dedicated them and the new cemetery to the Angels of Peace.  Also in his dedicatory prayer he gave the new cemetery the name of Syracuse.  Two small white stone lambs mark the graves of these girls.
    Ironically, the third person to be buried in the new cemetery was its donator, Alma Stoker, who died the following year from heart failure.  The cemetery has expanded and has served well the Clearfield-Syracuse community for nearly 100 years.


Thanks to the City of Syracuse and the Utah State Historical Society for providing this information.
History also located in The Community of Syracuse, 1820 to 1995, Our Heritage, Centennial Edition.  Copyright 1994 by Syracuse Historical Commission.   Published by Cedar Fort, Inc.

Burial records were provided by Heather Shelton.  Thanks, Heather!


Back to the Davis County Cemeteries Homepage

usgenweb.gif (4541 bytes)Davis County GenWeb Page
Utah GenWeb Page
The USGenWeb Project

  Hit Counter  


Please direct any corrections, comments or questions to Annette Nelson

Last updated  08/24/06
1999-2006 Annette Nelson

This Site Generously Sponsored By: 
LOFTHOUSE Publishing
http://www.Lofthouse.com/