Remember me

Chronica Hungarorumhistorical work also called Budai Krónika (Hungarian: “Buda Chronicles”) (Latin: “Chronicle of the Hungarians”)

Main

the first book printed in Hungary, issued from the press of András Hess in Buda, now Budapest, on June 5, 1473. Hess, who was probably of German origin, dedicated the book to his patron, László Karai, provost of Buda, who had invited him to Hungary from Rome.

The first 24 parts of the chronicles describe the history of the Huns, the remaining chapters that of the Magyars. The work is augmented by the archdeacon János Küküllei’s biography of King Louis I (ruled 1342–82). The history of the period from 1382 to 1468 is sketchy; material for this section was probably gathered by Hess himself. The concluding eulogy for King Matthias I Corvinus (ruled 1458–90) was also most probably Hess’s work. Only a few copies survive. A facsimile edition was published in 1900.

Citations

MLA Style:

"Chronica Hungarorum." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 27 Apr. 2008 <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1242611/Chronica-Hungarorum>.

APA Style:

Chronica Hungarorum. (2008). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved April 27, 2008, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1242611/Chronica-Hungarorum

Chronica Hungarorum

Link to this article and share the full text with the readers of your Web site or blog-post.

If you think a reference to this article on "Chronica Hungarorum" will enhance your Web site, blog-post, or any other web-content, then feel free to link to this article, and your readers will gain full access to the full article, even if they do not subscribe to our service.

You may want to use the HTML code fragment provided below.

More from Britannica on "Chronica Hungarorum"
Chronica Hungarorum (historical work)

the first book printed in Hungary, issued from the press of András Hess in Buda, now Budapest, on June 5, 1473. Hess, who was probably of German origin, dedicated the book to his patron, László Karai, provost of Buda, who had invited him to Hungary from Rome.

The first 24 parts of the chronicles describe the history of the Huns, the remaining chapters that of the Magyars. The work is augmented by the archdeacon János Küküllei’s biography of King Louis I (ruled 1342–82). The history of the period from 1382 to 1468 is sketchy; material for this section was probably gathered by Hess himself. The concluding eulogy for King Matthias I Corvinus (ruled 1458–90) was also most probably Hess’s work. Only a few copies survive. A facsimile edition was published in 1900.

This topic is discussed at the following external Web sites.

Hungarian Electronic Library - Chronica Hungarorum
András Hess (printer)

Aspects of this topic are discussed in the following places at Britannica.

• “Chronica Hungarorum” Chronica Hungarorum

Table of Contents

Audio/Video

Adobe Flash version 9 or higher is required to view this content. You can download Flash here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer