entrenched Radio Forums

Go Back   entrenched Radio Forums > entrenched Forums > General Chatter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default iPod Mini Flash Drive Hack

I recently damaged my iPod Mini Microdrive. Instead of waiting for Best Buy to send the iPod off for repair, I decided to take matters into my own hands and replace the drive myself. However, I was really not interested in replacing the drive with another one that would break; I want solid state.

I searched Google and the Usenet forums far and wide and was amazed at the lack of information on iPod Mini hacks to upgrade or replace the drive. Most people were buying the iPod mini to get the Microdrive out for use in a digital camera. I finally found a link that described the process for replacing the iPod's drive with an 8GB Seagate Microdrive. I figured a normal CF card would work just as well. I fount another post where someone had successfully used a SanDisk 1GB Ultra II card in their iPod. I figured this was good enough.

I went to Best Buy and took out a short-term loan on a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card. I tested the card and verified that it did work in the iPod. I returned the card and then ordered this one from NewEgg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183021
This card is an 8GB CF Card that is fully ATA Compliant. This is a key feature when dealing with the iPod, as it is expecting an ATA Microdrive.

My iPod is now an 8GB Solid State device and I can shake it all day with no skipping or damage to the disk!

Here are the two references to the resources I used to do this hack:
http://homepage.mac.com/jason.parry/mini8gb.html - Disk Upgrade Hack
http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html - How to open your iPod Mini

-David Doan

Last edited by Evanrude : 07-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spectre Send a message via Yahoo to Spectre

nice job!

""f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng"
-Anonymous
Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 AM

Hi, This is exactly what I would like to do. The only problem is sourcing a ATA compliant card. I haven't got a clue how I would know if one is or not?!
Does it specifically state ATA compliant? I've noticed some say FAT32 too?

Hope you can help

Ryan
Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Naba-Puchu-Punchin!

FAT32 is the type of file system used on the drive. Pretty much any type of flash memory you get, wether it be a memory stick or a USB flash drive, it will use FAT16 or FAT32 as its file system.

As far as the ATA compliance goes, I think all CompactFlash media are supposed to be ATA compliant. Microdrives use the CF Type II slot, so the connector should be the same. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you can return a drive if you decide to buy one. You can find some info about CompactFlash on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Skrooks : 07-17-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Thanks

So if I was to buy a CF II it should work?

I have read that any Sandisk should work but with all the fake ones about I don't want to be caught out.

I found an 4Gb for £65, which isn't too bad but if it doesn't work then thats £65 down the drain.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/MyM...act/Flash/Card

Cheers

Ryan
Old 07-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Naba-Puchu-Punchin!

I've never really heard of the company MyMemory. I don't know if you live in the UK or not, but £65 is worth about $119. There are 4 other cards on Newegg's site that are cheaper, one of them being the Ritek Pro 4GB Compact Flash model. The Ritek Pro 8GB Compact Flash drive seems to work in Evanrude's iPod, so I would assume the 4GB version should also work. Newegg's site has tons of customer reviews for the products they sell so you can get a better feel for what you are buying, and ordering from them via FedEx is super speedy.

As for my previous comment about the FAT32 file system, it seems most flash memory devices are formatted using FAT16 while the newer, larger ones use FAT32. The FAT16 file system can only handle a maximum volume size of 4GB, and even then it would require a very large cluster size, 64KB if I remember correctly, meaning you would use up 64KB worth of disk space if you saved a text file that simply said "hello". However, FAT16 is better designed for smaller drives because it's file table is much smaller and thus requires less time to search through. For drives larger than 4GB, FAT32 is required since it can handle very large volume sizes (up to 2TB). It seems that the larger drives sometimes pose a problem because many devices that were designed to work with the smaller flash memory devices only have a FAT16 driver and are thus unable to work with FAT32. For an iPod to be able to handle a 4GB or larger drive, it should be using a FAT32 driver.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Poblems with converting

Hi I tried just the same but it did not work.

I toke out the microdrive and put inside a FAT32 formated 2GB sandisk ULTRA II. But I recieve from the ipod constant filder icon with exclamation mark. And when I try to update the Ipod the updater or hangs or gives ipod write error.

Any ideas what I am doeing wrong?

Please advice!

Todor
Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Naba-Puchu-Punchin!

If you formatted to FAT32, try formatting to FAT (FAT16) and see if that works.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:35 AM

FAT16 formating is not working .

I forgot to mention that mine is 6GB second Mini. It is formated under FAT32.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Naba-Puchu-Punchin!

Ok, did more research and the iPods for Windows use are supposed to be formatted with FAT32, so stick with that. On your iPod Updater software, did you select RESTORE to have it reinstall the iPod operating system?