Games Books Events Community Search Wizards Hasbro.com

Go Back   Wizards Community > d20 Design > d20 Design Enhancement > Character Optimization
Welcome to the forums!
(Click here if you're wondering
where the login box went.
)
Click here to login!

How you make your wizard a spontaneous caster.

Old 10-18-07, 12:55 AM

Default How you make your wizard a spontaneous caster.

How you make your wizard a spontaneous caster?

Well I'm glad [you] asked. Within this very thread me and other contributing members of this board will try to present you with a list of choices to help you in your goal of mimicing spontaneous casting, or just plain expanding your daily list of spells. Just try not to upset the sorcerer any more than he already is.

Definition: Spell Storage

An item, ability, skill, or feat that allows one to cast a spell into it at the end of the day so tomarrow morning they need not prepared it since they can cast the spell from the item, ability, skill, or feat storing said spell instead.

Spell Storage may or may not require additional spell slots to recall a stored spell.

On to the lists.

Races

Hathrans (player's guide to faerun)☼
X/day Place Magic, which lets them trade any spell out they have prepared for any spell in their spellbooks. While inside of Rashemen, you can use Place Magic all day long.

Base Classes

Wizard (The only base class that matters)

The wizard's class alone give the benefit of out of combat spontaneous casting. By leaving slots open, the wizard can later take 15 minutes out of the day to fill an uncasted slot with another spell thus giving them the effect of spontaneous casting when ever they have 15 minutes free.

Which when you think about it. Only the higher level spells tend to be the ones you use in battle. prepared half your upper slots as offensive weapons as backup in the morning, and fill the rest of your slots as you need them later on in the day.

Substitution Levels

Spontaneous Divination (complete champion)
Level: 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th.
Gives up: Bonus feat.
Benefit: You can spontaneously cast any divination spell using a prepared spell of equal or greater level.

Planar Spell Casting (planar handbook, 10th level)
Level: 10th.
Gives up: Bonus feat, the spells added to your spellbook for free by level up.
Benefit: All spells you cast cast gain an alignment discriptor (such as [chaotic]).

When combined with Chaotic Spell Recall (see below) you can recall any spell and the slot used to cast it.

Spontaneous Summoning (unearthed arcane)
Level: All.
Gives up: Extra spells from being a school focused wizard.
Benefit: Conjurers using this variant can "lose" a prepared spell to cast any summon monster spell of a lower level.

Prestige Classes

Mage of the Arcane Order (complete arcane)
Full spell casting, some other stuff.

Spellpool works just like Spell Storage, only you cast into the pool within 24 hours of calling a spell from it. Works up to three times per day.

Ultimate Magus (complete mage)
Full spell casting with a feat, freebie metamagic enhancement.

Nets 8 levels of a spontaneous casting class at the cost of a single level of wizard & one feat.

Magelord (lost empires of faerun)
Full spell casting, +3d6 sneak attack.
You can convert any prepared spell into any mastered (which may be metamagicly enhanced) spell via CORE's Spell Mastery feat.

Added bonus, an extra 4 spells are added to your Spell Mastery list.

Shadowcraft Mage (races of stone)
Full spell casting, 40% concealment 24/7.
While the class does not really grant spontaneous casting, it does allow you to turn the ___ Image spell chain into shadow conjuration/evocation-like spells. Spells mimiced are one level lower than the image spell used to create it, and are only 20%+(10%*level of image spell used) real.

Dweomerkeeper (complete divine web enchantment Download it here)
Full spell casting, 5/day ignore components, AoOs, and spell resistance.

Allows you to pick up to any 5 spells, you may spontaneous cast them by using a spell slot of equal or higher level.

Primal Scholar (secrets of xendrik)
Ancient Secret lets you chose the Mystery of Magic class ability which allows the spontaneous casting of an assigned spell one level lower than your prepared slot.

Feats

Spell Mastery (core)
While the feat does not grant spontaneous casting, it is the prerequisite to many things that do.

Alacritous Cogitation (complete mage)
1/day cast any spell from any spell book you own with an open slot as a full round action.

Chaotic Spell Recall (fiendish codex I: hordes of the abyss)
Gain the ability to recall & recharge any spell with the chaotic descriptor of any level (abyssal Heritor feats / 2) + 1 times per day as a swift action.

Useful when combined with Planar Spell Casting (see above).

Signature Spell (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting & Player's Guide to Faerûn)
Pick any one spell mastered by the Spell Mastery Feat, you can convert any prepared spell of higher ot equal into it as a free action.

Uncanny Forethought (exemplars of evil)
(int bonus)/day cast any spell from any spell book you own with an open slot or prepared spell slot as a full round action at your caster level - 2

Versatile Spellcaster (races of the dragon)
A well know feat that allows you to combine lower level spells to cast higher level ones. While this was meant to be off limits to a wizard, its prerequisite is "ability to spontaneously cast spells" which Spontaneous Divination meets.

Items

Weapon Enchantment: Spell Storing (core, +1 bonus)
Spell Storing (any one spell up to 3rd level)
You are required to hit your foe in order to cast as a free action from it.

50 +1 spell storing arrows only cost 4,302.5gp, and allow you to pretty much create a pool of every useful 3rd level or lower spell during adventure down time. This include self buffs seeing how you can attack (and auto hit) your self as an attack action treating the arrows as an improvised weapon that deals 1d4+1 - your likely low str in damage.

Spell Storing, Minor (core, 18,000gp)
Spell Storage (up to 3 levels of spells)

Spell Storing (core, 50,000gp)
Spell Storage (up to 5 levels of spells)

Spell Storing, Major (core, 200,000gp)
Spell Storage (up to 10 levels of spells)

Ring Of Therurgy (complete arcane, 20,000gp)
Spell Storage (any 3 spells)
Note - requires a slot to recall the spell.

Amulet of Spell Conversion (complete mage, 18,000gp)
1/day replace any prepared spell as a full-round action.

Circlet of Mages (magical item compedium, 5,000gp)
Has 3 charges per day that can be used to save a spell slot used to cast a spell. It also gives a +2 compentence bonus to concentration checks.

Pearl of Power (core, varies)
1/day recall a prepared spell & slot of X level, where X equals the level pearl you can afford to buy.

Runestaffs (magical item compedium, varies)
Limited form of spell conversion with any unprepared slot.

Since you can freely customize the spells stored, feel free to create one with all your choice battle spells, thus allowing you to skip preparing anything in the morning.

Staffs (core, varies)
Cast any spell from a 2~5 long spell list using 1~3 charges (of 50) each time.

Wands (core, varies)
Cast any one spell up to 50 times.

Scrolls (core, varies)
The wizard can craft them from a spell he knows one day, only to not know it tomarrow and depend on the scroll. Oh and wizards get the scribe scroll feat for free. At the 1st level.

Spells

Mage’s Lucubration (core)
Transmutation
Level: Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action

Reprepare (and regain the casting slot) any 5th level or lower spell you have cast within the last 24 hours.

Rary's Arcane Conversion (complete mage)
Universal
Level: Wizard 6
Casting Time: 1 full round

Exchange any prepared spell for another of the same or lower level.

Spell Engine (spell compendium)
Abjuration [force]
Level: Wizard 8
Cast: 10 minutes
Components: A silver wheel worth 500gp and 250XP.

Reprepare all your unused spell slots. When preparing them this way, it only takes half the usual time.

Shalantha's Delicate Disk (lost empires of faerun)
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Components: A golden egg worth 200 gp.

Creates a 1hp disc that can store any spell up to the 5th level (Spell Storage).
You can then break it as a standerd action to 'cast' the stored spell.

Since the center of affect is on the breaker or where it is broken and it breaks under a DC 5 strength check it can create a cheap and effective trap on the fly.

Dirty Tricks

*Warning, using any of the following can be hazardous to your health as you may be beat over the head with the DMG.*

Sanctum Spell, so good, wizards ask for it by name.
By using Sanctum Spell (complete arcane) you can cast a Repeated Sanctum Mage’s Lucubration spell which recalls a 5th level spell you already cast today, then next round the spell is repeated and you can regain Sanctum Mage’s Lucubration back since you treat it as a 5th level spell. Then on the following round, use Residual Magic (complete mage) to apply Repeat Spell at no cost to your next Sanctum Mage’s Lucubration spell.

Effectively, you use a 8th level slot to recharge all your '6th' level and lower spells & slots.

This can be combo'ed with Rary's Arcane Conversion to swap around your higher level prepared spells as you see fit as well.

Did I miss anything? Tell me what, along with the hows & wheres and I'll get around to updating this post some time in the future.

If you wish to present builds, go ahead.

Theoretical Optimization
Not all character builds are meant for play- this forum showcases the art of optimization. Come here to find theoretical and “broken” characters, tips, tricks to increase power and bend the rules!

See? Proof OP boards are not that bad, the OP board is great, it's just half the people there don't post in the proper forum.

Argumentive posters (updated as of 020107)
When did it become a mandatory skill to be a Legendary Complainer? I say this in the broadest sense. In-game, it is now common practice to stumble upon griefers and trash-talking players with the vocabulary of a dirty pirate at sea, the mental capacity of a five-year-old, and a “gimme” attitude that would put a toddler to shame. I take that back; I insult five-year-olds with that statement.

These people do not limit themselves to causing commotion and turmoil in game under the thinly-veiled guise of Role-Playing. No, then they feel the need to bring their petty attitudes and ‘My opinion is end-all, be-all’ to forums and public venues and further attempt to instill mistrust and unrest.

Mind, this is not everyone. There are many, many people who contribute positively to the community and have tried to maintain a positive presence in the forums as well. These players provide ideas, helpful tips, content suggestions, and even try to diffuse tension in hot-topic areas. Their hard work and efforts, however, are almost lost and drowned out by this sea of negativity we seem to be floundering in.

Questioning the logic of a suggestion, becoming upset by a development, simply thinking another poster is an idiot: all of these can clearly be addressed while remaining civil and semi-intelligent.

-Calell (minor editing by me)

Last edited by LostPassWordDoesNotWork : 04-09-08 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added the UA variant & RotD's feat.
Old 10-18-07, 12:56 AM

Default Re: How you make your wizard a spontaneous caster.

Builds

Planar Chaos Mage

The idea for this build comes from Senevri and his thread here

Chaotic Neutral Human (has at least 13 wisdom)
1: Wizard 1 - Cloak Of The Obyrith, Chaotic Spell Recall. (DR 2/Law, CSR 2)
2: Wizard 2.
3: Wizard 3 - Demonic Skin. (DR 3/Law, CSR 2, NA +2)
4: Wizard 4
5: Wizard 5 - Cooperative Spell.
6: Wizard 6 - Precognitive Visions. (DR 4/Law, CSR 3, NA +3)
7: Wizard 7
8: Wizard 8
9: Wizard 9 - Keeper Of Forbidden Lore. (DR 5/Law, CSR 3, NA +3)
10: Wizard 10, Sub - Planar Spell Casting (chaos).
11: Mage of the Arcane Order 1
12: Mage of the Arcane Order 2 - Eyes of the Abyss, any metamagic feat. (DR 6/Law, CSR 4, NA +4)
13: Mage of the Arcane Order 3
14: Mage of the Arcane Order 4
15: Mage of the Arcane Order 5 - Any metamagic feat.
16: Mage of the Arcane Order 6
17: Mage of the Arcane Order 7
18: Any full casting class 1 - Any feat.
19: Any full casting class 2
20: Any full casting class 3

If your allowed to take flaws, I suggest picking up Precognitive Visions & Demonic Skin at level one, and Keeper Of Forbidden Lore & Eyes of the Abyss in their old levels.

Highlights
DR 6/Law.
Natural Armor +4 which stacks with an amulet of natural armor.
Full wizard casting.
Spellpool 3/day which is spellstorage, only you pay within 24 hours after drawing a spell.
4/day Chaotic Spell Recall which is like an extra 4 spell slots of your highest spell known that you can spontaneouly cast from with a swift action.

From the 10th level on you'll have almost double spells to cast of your highest level than a sorcerer has on top of up to 7/day spontaneous casting with any spell in your spellbook without factoring items. If you know any good chaotic spells you can enjoy those benfits earlier.

Last edited by LostPassWordDoesNotWork : 01-16-08 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 01:09 AM

You might want to add a spells section, since there are a few that swap out spells. Spell Engine from the SC and Rary's Arcane Conversion from CM come to mind.

Now DMing the Epic Duels on the Epic board.

Are you going to post something that's annoying or inflammatory? I wouldn't if I were you...
Old 10-18-07, 03:07 AM

Quote:
spell storing arrows
Spell Storing ability is not listed in the ranged weapon special ability table, implying that it can be applied to melee weapons only.

Actually, nowhere is it explicitly stated that ammunition can be enchanted. Moreover:
Quote:
Ranged Weapons and Ammunition

The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have).
Notice that it doesn't say anything on weapon special abilities - that they are bestowed on ammunition fired from enchanted ranged weapons.

I'm confused.
Old 10-18-07, 04:17 AM

Chaotic Spell Recall maybe?
Old 10-18-07, 04:31 AM

Observe that giving a wizard the ability to cast some spells spontanously does not make it a spontaneous arcane casting class .
Old 10-18-07, 04:54 AM

Pearls of Power?
Old 10-18-07, 07:11 AM

PRC: dweomerkeeper: Mantle Spell.
Old 10-18-07, 08:51 PM

Spell storage type solution, limited use: Quick Potion.

Also useful: Skull Talisman (I think?), Shalantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires Of Faerun, I think--AFB--best using Shadow Conjuration)

Signature Spell.

Shadowcraft Mage, to some extent.
Tired of dying? Wish you didn't have to roll up new characters so often? Don't worry; now you can save your game. All you need is a psi-crystal, Forced Dream and Tleilaxu Ghola's mad skillz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleilaxu_Ghola
All I've really done is shown the obvious: you can touch your nose. Some may wonder why I bother, but it's all in the sake of completeness. Knowing that you can touch your nose, on a fundamental level, is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post
Clerics are underpowered. Everyone knows that. That's why they released Complete Champion; so that CW Samurai don't take all the glory upon themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDeath View Post
...a Ring of Regeneration...only heals damage that was received while you were wearing the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuyoshikentsu View Post
This is the CO boards for ya. We see something statistically strange, we start a thread and analyze the **** out of it.
Old 10-18-07, 10:55 PM

A weapon of spell storing, besides being very useful on a foe, can be used on yourself as you indicate but you can also use a lethal damage weapon to do non-lethal damage with a -4 to your to-hit roll and thus smack yourself for non-lethal damage which heals much more quickly. Additionally, double weapons, can have spell storing on both ends, ie. a staff or spiked chain. I think that 2 spell storing daggers would be more useful than a double weapon with 2 spell storing on it. In a pinch, you can also throw a dagger and likely benefit from a dex bonus.

Great thread topic btw.
Old 10-19-07, 01:58 AM

Top thread has been updated with all suggestions but the following;

Skull Talisman
Unsure where to look, or even if that is the right name?

Any insight to those would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for pitching in and offering ideas. Keep them coming.

Last edited by LostPassWordDoesNotWork : 10-19-07 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Removed the stuff I'm nolonger clueless about.
Old 10-19-07, 02:22 AM

Shadowcraft Mage is in Races of Stone. With Signature Spell (Silent Image), as well as Earth Sense and Earth Spell, it will let you default any spell you have into any Conjuration Summoning, Conjuration Creation, or Evocation spell you want. Handy trick.

JaronK
Old 10-19-07, 02:37 AM

Mage’s Lucubration+Sanctum Spell (cast it outside your sanctum)+Repeat Spell
Mage’s Lucubration allows you to recall any 5th lvl spell or lower. Note this is spell level and not the level of slot it is after metamagic. Sanctum Spell lowers the cost of a spell by 1 level outsider your sanctum. Thus a Mage’s Lucubration+Sanctum Spell (cast it outside your sanctum)+Repeat Spell is a 9th lvl slot but is a 5th lvl spell. Use it to recall itself infinitely X many times. After recalling itself, use it to recall any other spell you want of 6th lvl or lower (5th lvl after sanctum spell), including heavily metamagic spells as many times as you want. (Arcane Thesis makes this trick avaliable at lvl 15 instead of 17).

Rary's Arcane Conversion+Sanctum Spell (outside sanctum) is now a 5th lvl spell. Use the above trick to "dupe" multiple copies of Rary's Arcane Conversion. Besides having more 6th lvl spells than you will ever use, you can use this trick to redo your entire spell selection from 1st lvl to 9th. Remember you can also redo the duped copies of 6th lvl and lower spells with this trick.

------------------

The spell point variant makes a wizard have the spontaneity of a wizard.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm
Don't forget to use Rary's Arcane Conversion to change out your spells if you don't have the right spells prepared, all for a measly 11 spell points.

------------------

Tome of Ancient Lore (relic in Complete Divine and Magic Item Compedium) is a real nice item with these above tricks combine with a blessed book. Each day off not doing an adventurer you find a spell you want, prepare it for the day with the tome of ancient lore, and then scribe it into the blessed book. Click the spoiler block for the relevant rules from the srd

Spoiler:
Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook

Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.
Time

The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.
Space in the Spellbook

A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.
Materials and Costs

Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level.
Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If she already has a particular spell prepared, she can write it directly into a new book at a cost of 100 gp per page (as noted in Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, above). The process wipes the prepared spell from her mind, just as casting it would. If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverv...caneSpells.htm

------------------

The most recent version of Dwemoerkeeper is located here as part of the free complete divine web ebhancement. Note people loathe it on this board for XP free wish and similar spells due to making a spell a supernatural ability.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a
Old 10-19-07, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix00 View Post
The spell point variant makes a wizard have the spontaneity of a wizard sorcerer.
Fixed.

Very nice thread btw.

I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind - cast down into the halls of the blind.

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." - Albert Einstein
Old 10-19-07, 12:53 PM

add this to my above thread.

Mage's Lucubration+Sanctum Spell+Repeat Spell+Arcane Thesis+
Metamagic School Focus will give you near infinite amount of spells as soon as ecl 13 instead of 15 or 17. Can't think of a way to reduce the cost any lower to ecl 12 or 11 without the use of Dragon. Incantatrix is out since that is ecl 15.
Old 10-19-07, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergtann View Post
Observe that giving a wizard the ability to cast some spells spontanously does not make it a spontaneous arcane casting class .
Very important, especially for classes such as UM. Yes you can enter the class with the Wizard 5 divination substitution, for you can cast spells spontaneously, you though can't double progress wizard for you can only cast some spells spontaneously not your whole list.
Old 10-25-07, 01:46 AM

Question Re: How you make your wizard a spontaneous caster.

If you want to be a spontanous spell caster be a sorcerer not a wizard its that simple.
Old 10-25-07, 03:22 AM

Well, that's unhelpful.

Character/Monster Template for posting in Forums, check it out
My Conservative House Rules. Still a work in progress.
Cast more spells as a wizard! Sane DM will allow!
current books&other junk

If it's not listed, I can't use it.
  • Core 3
  • Monster Manual III
  • Heroes of Battle
  • Heroes of Horror
  • Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
  • Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords
  • Spell Compendium
  • Epic Level Handbook
Older books, which may be available on DM's whim:
  • Sword & Fist
  • Tome & Blood
  • Defenders of Faith
  • Masters of the Wild
Memo to self:

Quote:
This was good advice--truly, this was the voice of experience that
inevitably follows a catastrophic series of mistakes. In essence, it
told her: See what you just did? Don't do that.

Old 10-25-07, 10:26 AM

A few more ideas to give you a degree of spontaneous casting:

-Spells like shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, limited wish, and wish do give you a degree of spontaneous casting.

-A spellstitched necropolitian (or a spellstitched undead of any kind) will give you SLAs from the wizard's evocation, conjuration, and/or necromancy spells list, what you get is dependant on your wis score. Getting some costly spells like animate dead is not a bad idea.
Old 10-25-07, 11:44 AM

Hathrans, while inside of Rashemen, can use Place Magic all day long--which lets them trade any spell out they have prepared for any spell in their spellbooks.

Otherwise you just get it X/day.

Player's Guide to Faerun.
Old 01-18-08, 11:37 PM

Talking with Snow Savant the other day, she's currently using the Primal Scholar PrC from Eberron's Secrets of Xendrik book. The 2nd level ability called 'Ancient Secret' lets you chose the Mystery of Magic class ability which allows the spontaneous casting of an assigned spell one level lower than your prepared slot. She chose Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer -- and doing some tricks with it at end of adventuring day and stuff like that.
Old 01-18-08, 11:44 PM

Uncanny Forethought requires you to have Spell Mastery at least once. It also requires you to use an unpreped slot to do the cl-2 from your spell book instead of SM.

Spoiler:
I am a A Heliotropic Dragon!
Hey, I took the http://dragonhame.com online Inner Dragon quiz and found out I am a Heliotropic Dragon on the inside.
In the war between good and evil, a Heliotropic Dragon tends to walk the fine line of Neutrality....
When it comes to the powers of Chaos vs. those of Law and Order, your inner dragon walks a fine line between Law and Chaos....
As far as magical tendancies, Your inner dragon has the ability to conquer the world of magic, but it will not be easy....
During combat situations, whether by spells or by claw, your inner dragon will do whatever it takes to get the job done....
'
This unusual skin type also gives them an unusually sleek appearance and allows them to move with greater speed and freedom both in air and under water. These Dragon's are known to be highly competitive.'
They often meet with other dragons to compete with each other for sport. NOTE: A few small villages have been destroyed by being so unlucky as to be in the path of a speeding Heliotropic Dragon taking a shortcut to gain an advantage over it's competitor. Heliotropic Dragons are well known for their protectiveness, but also are known as loyal friends and allies. They make true friends rarely, but those friendships that they make are well chosen and long lasting.'
http://Dragonhame.Com

Cookie Count: 11.

Old 01-18-08, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSheck View Post
Hathrans, while inside of Rashemen, can use Place Magic all day long--which lets them trade any spell out they have prepared for any spell in their spellbooks.

Otherwise you just get it X/day.

Player's Guide to Faerun.
Actually, if you can find the right spell, you can cast spontaneously all day long. (It requires being able to cast a spell exclusive to druids and rangers, but still...)

Look at Acorn of Far Travel. Which allows you to effectively be in Rashemen for one day per CL. (This isn't my idea; someone else had previously mentioned it in some other thread.)
A Haiku on Drinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Livewire
*expends psionic focus to summon another elephant.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradlo
Villains are like Doritos: crunch all you want, we'll make more.
ArcTan on Psionics
ArcTan on the Metamind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toran_A_Sunder
Dude, this [thread] wasn't derailed. The train tracks ended at the edge of a cliff, no one told the conductor, and it is now a smoldering pile at the bottom of a giant gorge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin the Big
Has anybody else noticed that the Elocater picture looks like he's wearing a C-PAP machine? How can I take a prestige class seriously when their poster boy looks like he has sleep apnea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall
Having a group of 16th level PCs bushwhacking a completely unprepared Balor doesn't prove it is CR 16 anymore than having the 3.0 Ultroloth ambushing completely unprepared PCs proves it is CR 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalingrade Ashland
Core doesn't mean balanced. Core means the lead designer wanted it to be Core.
Keenath on Feats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
116. Epic Hulking Hurler receives a job offer from NASA. Launching starships.
High Octane on the usefulness of traps
ArcTan Wins at Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain_Darkwind View Post
Your feat is no more impressive than one that allows a druid to be Lawful Evil.
Transparently Broken Things
Swarm-based Hiveminds [BoVD]
Hulking Hurler [CWar]
Planar Sheperd [FoE]
It takes some strange thinking to practically tell a player that "This is broken" in the rules text itself. The above things have managed such a dubious honor.
Characters I Play
2,800,010 damage. Plus 4 fire.
Old 01-23-08, 09:08 AM

At higher levels: The Archmage gets the ability to gain a spell as a spell like ability. Sounds like nmeumonic enhancer and lucubration would be good spell like abilities to me.
Old 01-23-08, 11:34 AM

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not seeing how the dirty trick works. Residual magic doesn't apply after the first replication, right? (AFB at the moment).
Old 01-23-08, 11:51 AM

Oh man, that's nasty.

You actually don't need Residual here...

Sanctum Repeat Lucubration is a 5th level spell cast from.. what, eigtht level slot? some high level slot in any case.

You recover TWO spells you've used during the last 24 hours, of level 5th of lower.

Repeat Sanctum lucubration is a 5th level spell, despite using a higher slot, so it's a valid target for recovery.

You do need to take several turns to do this trick ,though.

The nasty application for this one? So you're a metamagic specialist and your admixtured twinned empowered etc. scorcher located in your 9th level slot? Still a 2nd level spell, unless you've heightened it.

Now let's see... Repeat... I'm presuming it's a +3 MM. So, a repeat lucubration = 9th spell. Thesis + Incantantrix + that-feat-lowering-meta-cost-for-one-feat, and it's a 5th spell. So it can be quickened on a 9th level slot.

Action pattern: Use one metamagick'd to 9th spell, of original level of 5 or lower, cast quickened repeat lucubration.
Recover spell.
Next round, you cast the recovered spell again, and repeat lucubration comes to effect. recover your repeat quick lucubration. Use repeat quick lucubration.

Repeat until rocks fall, everyone dies.

I'm quite sure, DM is going to stop this immediately, but it seems RAW to me.

*edit* Well, as RAW as any Sanctum cheese anyway.

Last edited by Senevri : 01-23-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 12:30 PM

Wow. Now I get it. I was confusing slot for level. Wow. Just...Wow.
Old 02-03-08, 11:45 AM

I noticed this with a recent Fochlucan Lyricist that I was working on, but I think it fits here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotD, Versatile Spellcaster
You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher.
Thats all the relevent rules text.

I think the feat is invaluable in UM builds. You can blow spontaneous slots to cast spells that are in your spellbook that you may've not prepared. Its like having Alacratious Cogitation, but many more per day.

Now, I know that this is a bit costly on the spellcasting, but I find it kind of hard in multi-casters to use all the spells available daily. I see it as a better way to get that brilliant toolbox feel that a lot of Batman-style Wizard players are shooting for.
Old 02-04-08, 08:25 AM

While limited in scope, and with too heavy a price, there's a fairly relevant Conjurer Variant : Spontaneous Summoning, from UA.