THE ATHENA AWARD is presented annually by chambers of commerce, women’s organizations and universities. The award is established through local host organizations in partnership with ATHENA International’s national underwriters, local businesses and individual sponsors.
Nominations are solicited and an ATHENA sculpture is awarded to an individual in the community who meets specific criteria listed below.
Since the program’s inception in 1982 more than 5000 awards have been presented in over 500 communities in the United States, Canada, China, Russia, the United Arab Emirates and most recently the United Kingdom. By honoring exceptional leaders, the ATHENA Award® Program seeks to inspire others to achieve excellence in their professional and personal lives.
ATHENA Award Recipients are individuals who
- Demonstrate excellence, creativity, and initiative in their
business or profession.
- Provide valuable service by contributing time and energy to improve the quality of life for others in the community.
- Actively assist women in realizing their full leadership potential.
Involvement with the ATHENA Award® Program benefits your organization and your community.
- Your organization and community provide an environment where women’s accomplishments and contributions are valued.
- Recognizing outstanding individuals in your community clearly defines role models for others to emulate.
- Affiliation with an international network of women and men who work together to create leadership opportunities for women encourages the empowerment of women leaders.
- Sizable attendance at award events by community and business leaders promotes positive relations and networking opportunities.
- Substantial media coverage results in exposure for sponsoring businesses and organizations.