Page 3 of 5
 
   
 


Reliable notes about Villa Cimbrone exist since around the eleventh century and they merge with those of the golden age of Ravello.  The origins of its name derive from the rocky ridge on which it stands known as ‘cimbronium’.  As a patrician villa, it belonged to a noble family called  Accongiogioco and then to the Fusco, a wealthy and influential family related to the Pitti of Florence and the Angio of Naples.  Around the seventeenth century, the fate of the villa becomes unclear. At some stage it became an integral part of a nearby monastery of the Santa Chiara, hence the papal coat of arms of Cardinal Della Rovere placed at the top of the old entrance gate.  There was a church in the vicinity, known as S. Angelo de Cimbrone also owned by the Fusco’s in 1291.  At the end of the nineteenth century, Ernest William Beckett, an illustrious English gentleman later known as Lord Grimthorpe, fell desperately in love with the villa while on the Grand Tour, searching for the roots of Western history and culture.  In 1904, he purchased it from the Amici’s of Atrani who had inherited the villa in the second half of the nineteenth century.

 Back  |  Continue




 
 
Customer Service & Media
Booking online
Photogallery
Special offers
Contacts
The gardens of Villa Cimbrone
Virtual tour
• Botanic rarities
Information
The history of Cimbrone
Hotel Villa Cimbrone
Hotel
• Guestbook

© Villa Cimbrone Srl, 2005. All rights reserved.