Houses, Castles and Gardens of Ireland
Home - Map - Links - News

Palm House Botanic Gardens, Belfast City

The Palm House is one of the earliest examples of a curvilinear and cast iron glasshouse. Its construction was initiated by the Belfast Botanical and Horticultural Society in the 1830s. The two wings were completed in 1840, and were built by Richard Turner of Dublin, who later built the Great Palm House at Kew Gardens. Over the years, the Palm House has acquired a reputation for good plant collections. The cool wing houses all year round displays of colour and scent using plants such as geranium, fuchsia, begonia and bulb displays. The stove wing and dome area contain a range of temperate and tropical plants with particular emphasis on species of economic value. The gardens contain the Tropical Ravine, Rose Gardens and fine herbaceous borders.

Situated
Situated between Botanic Avenue and Stranmillis Road, South Belfast.
Open
April - September: Mon - Fri 10.00-12.00 & 13.00-17.00, Sat - Sun 13.00-17.00
October - March: Mon - Fri 10.00-12.00 & 13.00-16.00, Sat - Sun 13.00-16.00
Public Holidays as Saturday & Sunday
Admission
Free
Facilities
Parking, Guided Tours, Wheelchair Access.
Contact
Mr R Maxwell,
Palm House Botanic Gardens,
Belfast City.

Tel. from UK +44 28 90 324 902
Tel. from ROI 04890 324 902)

Web Site:
www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parksandopenspaces/palmhouse.asp
 
 

Home - Map - Links - News