Crest Small
 
 
 

A Quick Look Back in Time

"Though St. John's was founded officially on May 1, 1858, when a first Sunday school was held at Coopers Corners in the house of Daniel T. Cox, the cornerstone for St. John's Church was laid on October 12, 1859, thanks to land donated by Mr. Cox and Alexander Durand's low bid of $1,336. Built as a chapel of ease for those who found the five-mile trip to Trinity on the other end of town too difficult, especially in bad weather, The Rector of Trinity Church, Dr. Richard Umstead, assisted by clergy from St. Thomas', Mamaroneck and St. James-the-Less, Scarsdale, conducted the first service for Trinity's 'northern' parishioners at the groundbreaking ceremony. By the time the building was constructed, its final cost had increased by $64; but on Feburary 4, 1860, the building was open for worship. Dr. Morgan presided, assisted by clergy from Pelham, White Plains, Scarsdale and Eastchester.

...Soon after the opening of the chapel, the members believed it should be independent of Trinity Church. So, on December 8, 1860, when the church was incorporated under the laws of New York State, the name was changed to St. John's Church, Wilmot."

(Excerpted from The Westchester Historian, Volume 51, Fall 1975, part of an article by Neilson M. Sutton)