Farmington City Cemetery
500 South 200 East
Click here for:
* Directions to
|Owner||Farmington City Corporation, P. O. Box 160
130 North Main, Farmington, Utah 84025
phone: (801) 451-2383
|Cemetery Age||117 years|
|Number of Burial Spaces||7,030|
|Number of Burials to Date||4,000|
One of the first deaths in Farmington was a little daughter of John W. Hess. They had searched all night and in early morning they found one little hand projecting out of the water in Big Creek.
The cemetery had not yet been established, so the first little gravesite was in the lot of Lewis Edwin and Sarah Jane Abbott, and seven more graves were made at that site. This lot is now the home of Franklin J. and Mable Orr Ferguson at 15 East 5th North. Later there were eight graves at the courthouse grounds and a few more in family lots. Another little burial place was just north of Lagoon Park on the William O. Smith farm. William O. Smith and others of his family were buried there. William was Lot and Abel Smith's father.
The Farmington City Cemetery was started June 6, 1883. The first sexton was Henry Steed; then James T. Smith; Jonathan D. Wood and John Wilford Steed. Farmington City took over the cemetery in 1920, surveyed it and sold lots at $1.25 each. They made roads and began to beautify it and a fee was charged for perpetual care provided.
In 1900 some French Canadians came here and started the races. Mr. Simon Bamberger recommended Milton M. Hess (my husband) for the job of making a good track. Milton started making the race track and found about six graves the horses would be running over. When he told Mr. Dandrun about it, he was advised to go up and tell the families they belonged to that the bodies would be moved to the cemetery and it wouldn't cost them a penny, but the Smith family said to leave them there. Milton suggested they move the racing track farther to the east, leaving the graves unmolested and inside the track so the horses wouldn't be running over them. This plan was followed, and the graves are still there.
The City has purchased additional land to the north of the cemetery to allow for expansion.
In 1960 a flagpole was placed in the center of the city cemetery by the American Legion Post 27 and their Auxiliary, as a tribute to our dead. The city donated a beautiful spot for this memorial, the Legion purchased the pole for $80.00, Gaylen and Esther Daub donated two benches, Charles and Grace Anderson donated the cement for the platform and seven men spent a total of 56 man-hours on the installation, with Frank Ferguson using his Jeep Station Wagon and winch to erect the pole and hold it in place while the cement set up.
After eight years of fund-raising projects by the Legion and Auxiliary, a rock-faced flagpole base, designed by Frank J. Ferguson, was erected around the flagpole. Dedication ceremonies were held May 30, 1969, and the flag was flown at half mast in memory of all war veterans, as is the procedure on such proper occasions. Wreaths of poppies were also placed there on Christmas and Memorial Day for our war heroes. The dedicatory address was presented by George Larson of Spanish Fort, a past department commander of the American Legion.
The fence along the west front of the cemetery with the rock posts was constructed during the terms of mayors David W. Glover and Walter B. Rampton.
Source: Information provided by Farmington City Cemetery
Thanks also to the Utah Historical Society for sharing their information.
History may be found in My Farmington, A history of Farmington, Utah, 1847-1976 by Margaret Steed Hess. Copyright 1976 by Helen Mar Miller Camp, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.
Back to the Davis County Cemeteries Homepage
You are visitor number since 6/24/99.
This page was updated on 04/29/07 by Annette Nelson.
Please direct any corrections, comments or questions to Annette Nelson
Last updated 08/24/06
This Site Generously Sponsored By: