Points of Interest
Located at Buffington Harbor on Gary's lakefront are two gaming boats; the Majestic Star I and Majestic Star II. The boats are docked at a spacious pavilion housing restaurants, meeting rooms, apparel store and administrative offices.
Majestic Star - local (219) 977-7700 or 1(888) 225-8259.
Gary has three recreational beaches; Lake Street, Marquette Park and Wells Street. All offer breathtaking panoramas of Lake Michigan with golden sand shorelines.
Gleason Golf Course
The first 9 holes of this spacious 112 acre 18-hole golf course opened in 1927. The second 9 holes opened in 1930. Today, Gleason Golf Course, surrounded by a paved walking track, is located in Gary's Glen Park section across from Indiana University Northwest, and stands as one of the most beautiful park features Gary has to offer. For information: (219) 980-1089.
Hudson Campbell Fitness Center
Built in 1986, the Center occupies 85,000 sq. ft. of space and offers a full service fitness program with tennis, basketball, volleyball and racquetball courts, walking and jogging tracks, weight equipment, saunas, whirlpools and steam room. For information: (219) 886-7099.
Located on Gary's west-side, Lake Etta County Park is the one park in the county system that offers almost every activity imaginable; included are swimming, fishing, water slides, picnicking, playground, paddle boats, exercise trail and more. For reservations: (219) 755-3685. For Program Information: (219) 769-PARK.
Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education
The 7,000 sq. ft. center, built in 1986 and located at 100 N. Lake Street is used extensively for outdoor activities and has computers, media learning areas, live animals and environmental education programs that allow students to become acquainted with ecology and environmental sciences. For information: (219) 938-8221 or (219) 926-7561.
Tolleston Park Water Slide
Tolleston Park Water Slide is a newly constructed feature of the Gary Park Department and is connected to the Tolleston Park outdoor swimming pool.
Adjacent to Marquette Park Pavilion is the tranquilly beautiful Marquette Lagoon which features two Japanese bridges. The larger bridge is an eighty-foot structure, built in 1965. The smaller bridge leads to Charles Ramsey Island in the lagoon.
Indiana Dunes Environmental Learning Center
Points of Interest
Formerly Gary State Bank, built in 1928, this 10-story structure is one of the most outstanding structures in Gary. Details include a two-story round arched main entrance with keystone and ornamental bronze doors facing 5th Avenue.
The historic statue of Father Marquette, a 17th century Jesuit priest who explored the Great Lakes, stands at the gateway to beautiful Marquette Park. The park encompasses a beach, playground, aquatorium, lagoon, pavillion and picnic area.
The blast furnaces of U.S. Steel represent one of Gary's most famous skyline features. Gary Workds, now the flagship plant of the USS Division of USX Corp., has 57 production units across 4,000 acres.
The Bathing Beach Aquatorium
Built in 1921, the structure was an elaborate bathhouse designed by noted Architect George W. Maher. Reconstruction began in 1991 to provide museum space dedicated to Octave Chanute and the Tuskegee Airmen. For information: (219) 938-8081.
Water Tower of Indiana-American Water Company has been a fixture on the Gary Skyline since the birth of the city. The 150 ft. tall concrete structure, built in 1910, encloses an elevated 290,000-gallon capacity, cylindrical steel tank. It was originally used as Gary's storage facility for drinking water and fire protection.
Currently houses Lake County Superior Court, probation office, small claims court and other county government offices. The building is structurally identical to City Hall and is characterized by huge stone block masonry with Corinthian columns.
Marquette Park Pavilion
Located next to the Marquette Lagoon and situated amongst sand dunes is the stately pavilion. For decades, this facility has accommodated weddings, meetings, banquets, proms and gatherings of all types.
City Hall currently houses the Mayor's office, city council chamber and several other city administrative offices. This three-story domed structure has walls made of poured concrete and a main elevation which consists of two projecting wings articulated with Dorie pilasters. The saucer shaped dome rests on a square drum with square window openings.
St. Timothy Church
The beautiful edifice on the corner of 25th Avenue and Grant Street was designed by Wendell Campbell and built by Gary-based contractor, Powers & Sons Construction in 1990. The two-story stained glass windows were created by Gary artist, Tom Floyd. The building has a fellowship hall seating 620, a parish that accommodates 920, six modular meeting rooms, and its own kitchen and catering service.
Adam Benjamin Metro Center
Built in 1985 by Gary contractor Powers & Sons and designed by Gary architect Wendell Campbell, the building is a multi-model transportation center. It houses Gary Public Transportation Corporation, Trailways, Greyhound Bus Lines, and South Shore Railway. The building has won six architectural design awards.
Genesis Convention Center
Built in 1981 and designed by African-American architect Wendell Campbell, this building occupies over 52,000 sq. ft. of space and has a main convention floor that seats 7,000 people. It is located between 4th and 5th Avenues on Broadway, across from City Hall and the Courthouse buldings. The facility has a culinary chef, full service kitchen, 12 meeting rooms, and 2 large banquet halls.