Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
» Back to: Parks home » Planning & Stewardship » Historic & Archaeological Attractions » The Silver Spring/Acorn Park

The Silver Spring/Acorn Park

Acorn Park

The Silver Spring
Acorn Park
8060 Newell Street, Silver Spring, MD 20910

The Silver Spring is the focal point of this .12-acre Acorn Park.

History

According to local history, in 1840 newspaper publisher and friend of President Andrew Jackson, Francis Preston Blair discovered the spring bubbling up through shiny mica sand. Two years later, Blair and his wife Eliza established a 300-acre summer estate called Silver Spring, on which he built an Acorn gazebo. The gazebo is a good example of rustic garden structures and furniture popular in the mid-1800s. The residence, located on Eastern Avenue, was demolished in 1955. His winter house, the Blair House, is now the President’s official guest house in Washington, D.C.

The sentimental meaning of the acorn is that Blair proposed to his wife underneath an oak tree. The Acorn gazebo moved from its original place to its present location in 1955; it’s now owned by the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission.

Last Updated: April 25, 2008