Directed blood donations occur when the patient identifies family members or friends who will donate blood for the patient's surgery. Mayo Clinic offers this option, but the following should be noted:
- Directed blood donations must be ordered by your Mayo Clinic physician.
- Directed donors must meet the same criteria as other blood donors and must donate at least three business days before the blood is needed.
- Donors must also have a blood type compatible with the patient receiving the blood.
- Medical research has shown that blood from directed donors is not safer than blood from volunteer blood donors.
- Most insurance policies will not pay for the additional expense of directed blood donations.
If you are interested, please discuss this option with your Mayo Clinic physician.