Darnell Named Interim Head Football CoachFor Immediate Release
Saturday, November 24, 2007
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- Texas A&M defensive coordinator Gary Darnell was named the interim head coach for the Aggies today by Director of Athletics Bill Byrne.
"Gary has head coaching experience and our young men and coaching staff respect him," Byrne said. "He will lead our team in our bowl preparations and during the game."
Darnell has served as defensive coordinator for the Aggies the past two seasons. He served as the head coach at Western Michigan from 1997-2004. He took over a team that finished 2-9 in 1996 and the Broncos became the most improved team in the country with an 8-3 record in 1997. WMU won the Mid-American Western Division in 1999 and 2000.
"I have a great deal of faith in our staff and our players," Darnell said. "The values and virtues they have learned throughout their career here at Texas A&M will help deal with this situation. They have a great deal of character. I know whatever bowl game we are rewarded with, they will prepare well and give great effort just like they displayed yesterday at Kyle Field in the win against Texas."
The bowl this year will mark the 12th bowl for Darnell to coach. He has participated in four BCS bowls (twice in Sugar and once in Orange and Fiesta) during his tenure.
Darnell also has experience serving as the interim head coach at the University of Florida in 1989. He posted a 3-4 mark in the final seven games that season.
He also served as a head coach at Tennessee Tech (1983-85).
The Aggies will await word on the bowl selections next Sunday, Dec. 2.
DARNELL COACHING FACTS:
- 2006-present: Texas A&M (defensive coordinator/linebackers)
- 1997-2004: Western Michigan (head coach)
- 1992-96: Texas (assistant head coach/def. coord./special teams coach/linebackers)
- 1990-91: Notre Dame (assistant head coach/def. coord/linebackers)
- 1988-89: Florida (def. coord/linebackers/interim head coach)
- 1986-87: Wake Forest (assistant head coach/def. coor/linebackers)
- 1983-85: Tennessee Tech (head coach)
- 1978-82: Kansas State (assistant head coach/def.coord)
- 1976-77: North Carolina (linebackers)
- 1973-75: SMU (head freshmen coach/linebackers)
- 1970-72: Oklahoma State (head freshmen coach/linebackers)
Birthdate: Oct. 15, 1948
Hometown: Moore, Oklahoma
Education: 1969, Bachelor's degree from Oklahoma State
Marital Status: Married to the former Sandra McAlister
Children: Kristin and son-in-law Adam Battani
Recent Football Releases
- Five Aggies Selected in the 2008 NFL Draft (04/27)
- A&M’s Bennett Selected in Second Round by Dallas Cowboys (04/26)
- Five Aggies Mentioned on DMN’s NFL Draft Rankings (04/25)
- Aggies Close Out Spring Drills With Maroon & White Game (04/19)
- Sherman Introduces Student Coaches for Maroon and White Game (04/16)
Recent Athletic Releases
- Softball Fans Set for Aggie Night at Bricktown Brewery (05/26)
- Freeman Named All-America, Zwartynski Makes All-Region (05/26)
- A&M to Host DBU, Houston and UIC at NCAA College Station Regional (05/26)
- Pollock and Krajicek Fall To Ole Miss Duo In NCAA Doubles Semifinals (05/25)
- Aggies to Host NCAA Baseball Regional (05/25)