The Haviland-Heidgerd Collection is the local history and genealogy section of the library. Research materials in this unique non-circulating collection fall into three categories: local history focusing on the town of New Paltz, genealogical material on Ulster County families, and somewhat broader coverage of towns and communities in the Hudson Valley.
The collection is open to the public and offers valuable information for anyone interested. It is considered to be one of the best local history collections in the Hudson Valley and is home to a wealth of primary, one-of-a-kind, local history documents. Residents, descendants of New Paltz’s founding families, visitors, scholars, and students use the collection’s resources to research area history and trace family and genealogical roots.
The collection includes:
- Local newspapers dating back to 1860, available on microfilm.
- Extensive materials, including thousands of photographs, maps, and directories relating to the history of New Paltz houses and commercial buildings. Catalogued and indexed for use.
- Civil War records, deeds, diaries, district school records, letters and local club and organization records.
- Published and unpublished genealogies, church, cemetery, and Bible records.
- Census records dating back to 1790.
- Business, educational, and cultural information including source material on local people and organizations.
- Microfilm access to the Mormon genealogical library collection.
Newspapers, Periodicals and Yearbooks Available for Reference
Local Newspapers (1860 forward): New Paltz Times, New Paltz Independent, New Paltz News, Huguenot Herald, and the current New Paltz Times.
Periodicals: New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Orange County Genealogical Society Newsletter, Ulster County Genealogical Society Newsletter, Hudson Valley Regional Review, New Netherland Connections, Yearbooks of the Holland Society and others.
School Yearbooks: New Paltz High School, New Paltz Normal School, New Paltz State University, and SUNY at New Paltz.
Phone Number: 845-255-5030
Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection