Old Court, Looking East
The unusual position of the chapel, in the centre of one side of the court between open colonnades, was once imitated in Cambridge: by Christopher Wren at Emmanuel College in 1666. He would have been familiar with Peterhouse chapel since it was commissioned by his uncle, Matthew Wren. The dull institutional character of Burrough's refacing of Old Court is clearly shown on the left-hand side.
Return to Top or Previous Page