Summer 2008

Connors Park


History

Connors Park is nearly as old as the city itself. The City of Chicago acquired the tiny triangle of land from an early subdivider in 1848. The city retained jurisdiction until 1959, when it transferred the park to the Chicago Park District. Over its long history, the property was known as both Oak Park and Arbor Rest. What is more, between 1931 and 1957, a sign mistakenly labelled the park Rehm Arbor, the name of another triangular park nearby. The site gained its current name in 1970, when the park district renamed it in honor of William J. Connors (1892--1961). Long active in local politics, Connors rose from deputy municipal court bailiff to state senator, serving seven terms and acting as senate minority leader.