354 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
PUBLIC OFFICERS-MEMBER OF CONGRESS-PRESIDENTIAL ELECTORS-MEM-
BERS OF THE TERRITORIAL ASSEMBLY-SENATORS-REPRESENTATIVES-
ASSOCIATE JUDGES-PROSECUTING ATTORNEYS-COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
- SHERIFFS - TREASURERS- CLERKS - RECORDERS - SURVEYORS
RAPHIES OF PIONEER OFFICIALS-POLITICS.
IN writing a history of Madison County, we believe it to be one of the most important duties we owe to her citizens to give an authentic list of the men who have filled the many public offices and occupied a leading position in her affairs. Since the first white settlers built their cabins within her limits, there has never been a time when there were not men competent and trustworthy to transact the public business, and guide the affairs of the growing county in a manner satisfactory to her people. With the object in view of preserving the names of those officials, we have spared no pains in making a thorough research of all records within our reach, and, if there should be any list incomplete, it is because there is no source now in existence from which to obtain the information. The reader will bear in mind that seventy-two years have passed away since the birth of Madison County, and that in the first years of its existence little was done toward preserving many facts important to the historian of to-day. No regular method was followed in keeping the records of the several offices, often the events were not transcribed at all, and what does exist is in places so vague, or dimmed by the ravages of time as to baffle our efforts toward deciphering its meaning with any degree of certainty.
The only citizen of Madison County who has ever had the honor of being a member of the United States House of Representatives was Richard A. Harrison, now a resident of Columbus, Ohio, but who for many years was a leading member of the Madison County bar. He was elected to represent the Seventh Congressional District in the Thirty-seventh Congress (1861-63), vice Thomas Corwin, who resigned to accept the appointment of Minister to Mexico. Three citizens of this county have been Presidential Electors, viz.: James Curry, in 1816, as a Monroe and Tompkins Elector; Aquilla Toland, in 1840, as a Harrison and Tyler Elector; and Charles Phellis, in 1872, as an Elector on the Grant and Wilson ticket.
For seven years prior to the erection of Madison County its vote belonged to Franklin, and ere the formation of the latter its ballots were counted among those of Ross. It will, therefore, be of interest to the citizens of this portion of Ohio to know who represented the territory now embraced within its boundaries from the first Territorial Assembly up to the present. The members were, from 1799-1801, Thomas Worthington, Elias Langham, Samuel Findlay and Edward Tiffin ; 1801-1802, Edward Tiffin, Elias Langham and Thomas Worthington. The Territory then became a State, and the constitution thereof provided for a General Assembly composed of the members of the Senate and House of Representatives.
PAGE 355 - PICTURE OF H. W. SMITH
PAGE 356 - BLANK
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 357
The members of the Senate were elected every two years by the legal voters of the State, which was apportioned every four years, the number of Senators being fixed by the Legislature according to the enumeration of white male inhabitants over twenty-one years of age, and the districts established accordingly. In the First General Assembly (1803), Ross County, which then embraced the present counties of Franklin and Madison, composed a Senatorial district. In the Second and Third (1803-04 and 1804-05) Ross and Franklin were together, this territory being a portion of the latter county, while in the Fourth (1805-06) Highland County was attached thereto and remained so throughout the two subsequent Assemblies. In the Seventh and Eighth (1808-09 and 1809-10), Franklin and Delaware formed a district. The Ninth General Assembly (1810-11) is the first time we find the name of Madison figuring as a portion of a Senatorial district, composed of Franklin, Delaware, Madison and Pickaway ; while in the Tenth (1811-12), Pickaway was put into another district, and the others remained together until the Nineteenth General Assembly (1820-21), when the new county of Union formed a part thereof. Thus it remained until the Twenty-second Assembly (1823-24), at which time Marion and Crawford Counties were attached to this Senatorial district, which then read Franklin. Madison, Union. Delaware, Marion and Crawford. This lasted, however, only through that one session, and in the Twenty-third (1824-25), the three latter counties were cut off from this district, which existed as Franklin, Madison and Union up to the Twenty-seventh Assembly (1828-29), when Madison, Logan and Shelby constituted a district. The following session, Union County was added thereto and remained as such until the Thirtieth Assembly (1831-32), at which time Madison, Union, Logan, Shelby and Hardin were united. In the succeeding session, Shelby County, was replaced by Hancock. In the Thirty-fifth (1836-37), another change occurred, Madison. Fayette and Greene forming a district, existing thus four years, when the district was again chanced. In the Thirty-ninth General Assembly (1840-41), Franklin, Madison and Clark were combined and remained united up to and including the Forty-sixth session (1847-48), but in the Forty-seventh, Franklin County was replaced by Champaign. so that Madison, Clark and Champaign were together ac the time of the adoption of the new constitution in 1851, which provided that the Senatorial apportionment was to be established decennially, and obtained by dividing the whole population of tine State by thirty-five, the quotient thereof to be the ratio of Senatorial representation. The State was divided into fixed districts, which were numbered, and these three counties have since constituted the Eleventh Senatorial District of Ohio.
The following is the list of Senators with their date of service: 1803, Nathaniel Massie. Abraham Claypool; 1803-04, Abraham Claypool. Nathaniel Massie, John Milligan ; 1804-05, Abraham Claypool, Joseph Kerr; 1805-06, Joseph Kerr, Duncan McArthur ; 1806-07 and 1807-08, Duncan McArthur, Abraham Claypool ; 1803-09, 1809-10, 1810-11 and 1811-12, Joseph Foos ; 1812-13 and 1813-14, John Barr ; 1814-15 and 1815-16, Joseph Foos ; 1816-17 and 1817-18, Thomas Johnson; 1818-19, 1819-20, 1820-21 and 1821-22, Joseph Foos ; 1822-23, Henry Brown ; 1823-24, James Kooken ; 1824-25, 1825-26, 1826-27 and 1827-
358 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
28, Joseph Foos ; 1828-29 and 1829-30, William Fielding ; 1830-31 and 1831-32, John Shelby ; 1832-33 and 1833-34, Philip Lewis ; 1834-35 and 1335-36, Samuel Newell ; 1836-37 and 1837-38, John Arbuckle ; 1838-39 and 1839-40, Aaron Harlan ; 1840-41 and 1841-42, Alexander Waddle ; 1842-43 and 1843-44, Joseph Ridgeway, Jr.; 1844-45 and 184.3-46. Alfred Kelley ; 1846-47 and 1847-48, Jennet Stutson ; 1848-49, 1849-50 and 1850-51, Harvey Vinal ; 1852-54, John D. Burnett ; 1854-56, Henry W. Smith ; 1856-59, Joseph C. Brand ; 1853-60, Saul Henkle; 1860-62, Richard A. Harrison ; 1862-64, Samson Mason : 1864-66, A. P. Howard ; 1866-68, Toland Jones : 1868-70, J. Warren Keifer ; 1870-72, Aaron P. Howard ; 1872-74, Wm. Morrow Beach ; 1874-76. Alexander Waddle : 1876-78, W. R. Warnock ; 1878-80, George W. Wilson ; 1880-82, Thomas J. Pringle.
Under the constitution of 1802. the Representative apportionment was established by the same law as the Senatorial, but the members of the house were chosen annually, while under the new constitution, their official term is two years, and the apportionment is designated by dividing the whole population of the State by one hundred," and the quotient thereof is the ratio of representation in the House. The law provides for this apportionment every ten years. After the admission of Ohio; and prior to the formation of this county, it was represented in the First General Assembly (1803), by the Representative of Ross County, and in the Second (1803-04), Third (1804-05), and Fourth (1805-06), by those of Ross and Franklin ; in the Fifth (1806-07), and Sixth (1807-08), by Ross, Franklin and Highland; in the Seventh (1808-09, and Eighth (1809-10), by Franklin and Delaware. This brings us up to the erection of Madison County. which first appears in the formation of a Legislative district in the Ninth General Assembly (1810-11). Franklin, Madison, Delaware and Pickaway, composing the same. In the next session, only a portion of Pickaway was in this district, while in the Eleventh (1812-13). Madison and Delaware were together, and so existed until the Fifteenth General Assembly (1816-17), when Madison County stood alone. Thus it remained until the Nineteenth Legislative Session (1820-21), at which time Madison and the newly created county of Union were united. For eight years they voted together. but in the Twenty-seventh General Assembly (1828-29), we find Madison, Union, Logan and Hardin forming a new district. The latter county was cut off ere the Twenty-ninth Assembly met (1830-31), but no other change occurred until the Thirty-fifth Session (1836-37), when Madison and Fayette were together. Four years passed by and in the Thirty-ninth Assembly (1840-41). Fayette County was replaced by Clark. The next apportionment put Franklin and Madison together (1844-45). which, ere the meeting of the Forty-seventh Session (1848-49), was again changed, Madison, Clark and Champaign forming a district, and so existing until the adoption of the new constitution, since which event Madison County has been entitled to one Representative.
In the following list will be found the names of all who have represented the district of which Madison formed a part prior to 1852. as well as those who have represented the county since that date: 1803, Michael Baldwin,
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 359
Robert Culbertson, Thomas Worthington, William Patton ; 1803-4, James Dunlap, William Creighton, John Evans, Elias Langham; 1804-05, Michael Baldwin, James Dunlap, Duncan 1lcArthur, William Patton ; 1805-06, James Dunlap, David Shelby, Abraham J. Williams, Elias Langham ; 1806-07, James Dunlap, Nathaniel Massie, David Shelby, Abraham J. Williaols ; 1807-08, Thomas Worthington, Elias Langham, Jeremiah McLene, William Lewis; 1803-09 and 1809-10, John Blair: 1810-11 ant 1811-12, John Barr: 1812-13, 1813-14, 1814-15 and 1815-16 , James Curry ; 1816-17, 1817-18 and 1818-19, Isaac Miner ; 1819-20, James Curry; 1820-21, Isaac Miner; 1821-22, William Lewis; 1822-23, Nicholas Hathaway; 1823-24, Robert Mime; 1824-25, 1825-26 and 1826-27, Philip Lewis; 1827-28 and 1828-2J, Reuben P. Mann ; 1829-30. Lanson Curtis ; 1830-31. John F. Cllenoweth ; 1831-32, 1832-33 and 1833-34. Samuel Newell : 1834-35 and 1835-36, Nicholas Hathaway ; 1836-37 and 1837-38, Batteal Harrison ; 1838-39, W. H. Crei.ghton : 1839-40, Batteal Harrison : 1840-41. Aquilla Toland. Stephen M. Wheeler; 1841-42. Stephen M. Wheeler; 1842-43. John M. Gallagher. Isaac Howsman 1843-44, John AI. Gallagher, Aquilla, Toland; 1844-45, Joseph Ridgewav, Jr., Charles McClou,d : 1845-46, Joseph Ridgeway, Jr., Edward Fitzgerald ; 1846-47. John Noble, Jeremiah Clark; 1847-48. Aaron F. Perry, George Taylor; 1848-49. Jesse C. Phillips, Henry W. Smith: 1849-50, John D. Barnett, Henry W. Smith; 1850-51, John D. Burnett. James Rayburn; 1852-54, Zelot T. Fisher; 1854-56, Charles Phellis; 1856-58, E. E. Hutcheson: 1858-60, Richard A.. Harrison; 1860-62. Robert Hutcheson: 1862-64, Milton Lemen; 1864-66. Ephraim Bidwell 1866-68. R. M. Hanson; 1868-70. Jeriah Swetland: 1870-72, William Morrow Beach : 1872-71. George W. Wilson : 1874-76, Rodney C. McCloud; 1876-79. John N. Beach : 1878-80, H. S. Quinn; 1880-82, and 1882-84, John F. Locke.
This office was established under the Territorial Government in 1788, at which time a law was published by which not less than three, nor more than five Justices were to be appointed by the Governor in each county, and known as the County Court of Common Pleas. In 1799, the law was so amended as to make the number not less than three nor more than seven, and these Judges transacted the minor law business of the county. The constitution of 1802, provided, that not less than two nor more than three Associate Judges in each county, who had to be residents there of, should be elected by joint ballot of the General Assembly, then official term to be seven years. In 1810, the number of Associate Judges in each county was permanently fixed as three, who, together with the Presiding Judge of the Circuit, constituted the Court of Common Pleas, yet the Associates had power to hold special sessions, try cases and transact the legal business of the county in the absence of the Presiding Judge. Under the Constitution of 1851, the judiciary was re-organized and the office of Associate Judge abolished.
From the erection of Madison County until the adoption of the new constitution in 1851 the following is a list of those who filled the office of Associate Judge in this county: In 1810, Isaac Miner, Samuel Baskerville, David Mitchell. The first mentioned resigned and was succeeded by
360 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
John Arbuckle; so from 1811-16, the Associates were John Arbuckle, Samuel Baskerville, David Mitchell; 1817-19, Baskerville, Mitchell, James Curry. The latter was elected Representative, and in March, 1820, the Associates were Baskerville, Thomas Gwynne, Isaac Howsman, the two latter being only temporary, and in November Howsman was re-appointed William Lewis and Samuel Culbertson, succeeding Baskerville and Gwynne. In the following year, Lewis was elected to the Legislature, and was succeeded by John Arbuckle as Judge; so that in 1821-23, they stood Isaac Howsman, Samuel Culbertson, John Arbuckle; 1824-35, Howsman, Arbuckle, George Linson; 1836--37, Howsman, Linson, Nathan Bond; 1838 -39, Howsman, Bond, William Blaine ; 1840, Howsman, Blaine, Isaac Jones ; May, 1841, Blaine, Jones, Thomas Jones ; October, 1841, Jones, Jones, James Ravburn ; 1842, Jones, Jones, Jacob Garrard ; March, 1843, Thomas Jones. Jacob Garrard. James Rayburn ; May, 1843-44. Jones, Garrard, William T. Rowe; 1845-49, Jones, Rowe, Patrick McLene; January, 1850, Jones, McLene, John Rouse; April, 1850-51, Thomas Jones, Edward Fitzgerald, John W. Simpkins.
The Prosecuting Attorneys were appointed by the court until January 29, 1833, when a law was enacted providing for their election biennially, vacancies to be filled by the court. Under this regime, the appointments were generally made for an indefinite length of time. No pretensions were made to regularity, and while some served but one term, others held the position for several years. Ralph Osborn. of Circleville, served from 181014 ; Richard Douglas, of Chillicothe. 1815-17 ; Caleb Atwater, of Circleville, June term, 1815; John R. Parish, of Columbus, and G. W. Doan, of Circleville, September term, 1816 ; David Scott, of Columbus, September term, 181T; John R. Parish, December, 1817-19; James Cooley, of Urbana, and A. D. Vanhorn, the first resident attorney of London, 1820; Patrick G. Goode, the second resident attorney of London, 1821-22 ; G. W. Jewett, of Springfield, October term 1822 ; Caleb Atwater, November, 1822-23; Joshua Folsom, of Circleville, November, 1823-24; Samuel N. Kerr, the third resident attorney of London, 1825-36 ; Isaac N. Jones, of London, 1837-38 ; James L. Torbert, of Springfield, special terms in March and May, 1838; Samuel N. Kerr, 1839-40; Henry W. Smith, 1841-46; Zelot T. Fisher, 1847-51 ; James F. Freeman, 1852-53 ; James S. Jones, 1854-55; Henry W. Smith, 1856-57; John L. McCormack, March term, 1858; John R. Montgomery. 1858-60: Henry W. Smith, 1861-62; George Lincoln, 1863-64; Henry W. Smith, 1865-66; George W. Wilson, 1867-70; Sylvester W. Durflinger, 1871-74; John J. Bell, 1875-76; John F. Locke, 1877-79, who was elected to represent Madison County in the State Legislature, resigned the Prosecutorship, and Martin O'Donnell was appointed to fill the unexpired term of 1879-80 ; P. C. Smith, 188182; D. C. Badger, 1883-84.
By an act published June 19, 1795, adopted from the statutes of Pennsylvania, three Commissioners were ordered to be appointed in each county for one year, and each succeeding year one was to be appointed to
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 361
take the place of the Commissioner first named. These appointments were made by the Justices of the Court of General Quarter Sessions of the Peace on the first day of their January term. In 1799, the length of the official term was designated, viz.: The first Commissioner named on the list, one year; the second, two years ; and the third, three years ; one being appointed every year as before to supply the place of the retiring member. Their powers and duties were fully defined, and they were to meet annually the first Monday in July to attend to all county business coming under their jurisdiction. This law of appointment existed until February 13, 1804, when a law was enacted requiring three Commissioners to be elected in each county, said election to be held on the first Monday in April, 1804. The Commissioners elect were to determine by lot the length of time each should remain in office, viz.: One to serve until the following October; one until the October election in 1805 ; and the third until the same period in 1808. Thus the office became rotary and thus it has since remained. Vacancies were filled by the Associate Judges, said appointee to continue in office until the succeeding October election. The board were to meet annually in June to perform such duties as the law required. On the 22d of February, 1805, an act was passed by which, upon the erection of a new county, the Commissioners elected at the first election only held office until the next annual election ; and January 15, 1810, all former acts were amended or repealed, but no change was made in the manner or time of holding elections or office, only the duties of the Commissioners were enlarged and more fully described. A great many acts have since been passed defining and regulating their powers and duties, which may be found in the Ohio statutes.
After the organization of Madison County, William Gibson was Clerk of the Board of Commissioners from 1810 until June, 1812, when Philip Lewis became Clerk, and filled that position up to and including 1818. The duties were then performed by Robert Hume until the creation of the Auditor's office, since which the Auditor has been Clerk of the board. The names of Commissioners who have served the county are as follows : 1810, Joshua Ewing, John Arbuckle and William Gibson. In the fall of 1810, Mr. Arbuckle resigned to accept the position of Associate Judge, and Jonathan Minshall was appointed to fill the vacancy. From 1811-15, Joshua Ewing, Jonathan Minshall awl William Gibson; 1816. Ewing, Minshall and Burton Blizzard; 1817, Ewing, Blizzard and Philip Lewis; 1818, Blizzard, Lewis and Ira Finch; 1819, Finch, Blizzard and Patrick McLene : 1820, Blizzard. Finch and John Arbuckle; 1821, Finch. Arbuckle and Burton Blizzard; 1822, Blizzard, Finch and William Blaine; 1823, Finch, Blaine and Burton Blizzard; 1824, Blaine. Blizzard and Ira Finch: 1825, Blizzard, Finch and William Blaine; 1826, Finch, Blaine and Burton Blizzard; 1827, Blaine. Blizzard and John F. Chenoweth : 1828, Blizzard, Chenoweth and William Blaine ; 1829, Chenoweth, Blaine and Burton Blizzard; 1830, Blaine, Blizzard and John F. Chenoweth: 1831, Blizzard, Blaine and Thomas Jones ; 1832, Jones, Blizzard and Titus Dort ; 1833, Blizzard, Dort and Thomas Jones ; 1834, Dort. Jones and Burton Blizzard; 1835, Jones, Blizzard and Jacob Garrard; 1836, Blizzard, Garrard and Thomas Jones ; 1837, Garrard, Jones and Burton Blizzard ; 1838, Blizzard, Garrard and James Burnham; 1839, Garrard, Burnham and Burton Blizzard ; 1840, Burnham, Garrard and James Guy ; 1841, Garrard, Guy and
362 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
James Burnham ; 1842, Guy, Burnham and Edward Fitzgerald : 1843, Burnham. Fitzgerald and Charles Phellis ; 1844. Fitzgerald, Phellis and James Burnham ; 1845, Phellis. Burnham and Edward Fitzgerald ; 1846, Burnham. Phellis and John F. Chenoweth ; 1847, Phellis, Chenoweth and Mathew Rea : 1848, Chenoweth, Rea and Charles McCloud ; 1849, Rea, McCloud and John F. Chenoweth ; 1850, McCloud, Chenoweth and Jesse Watson ; 1851, Watson, Henry Alder and James W. Robinson 1852, Watson, Alder, and John Garrard ; 1853, Alder, Garrard and John T. Maxey. In the fall of 1853, Garrard resigned. and Joseph Chrisman was appointed to fill the vacancy; so in the beginning of 1854 it stood Maxey, Joseph Chrisman and F. O. P. Graham ; but Chrisman and Graham soon resigned, and Edward Fitzgerald and Henry Alder were appointed Edward Fitzgerald and Henry Alder ; 1855, Maxey, Fitzgerald and David Haskell; 1856. Fitzgerald, Haskell and Harvey Fellows: 1857, Fitzgerald, Fellows and Charles Phellis ; 1858. Fellows, Phellis and Benjamin Harrison : 1859, Phellis, Harrison and Thomas P. Jones: 1860. Harrison, Jones and Washington Withrow; 1861. Jones, Withrow and Jeremiah Converse ; 1862, Withrow. Converse and Richard Whiteman: 1863, Converse. Whiteman and Ira Buzick ; 1867. Whiteman, Buzick and Jeremiah Converse; 1865, Buzick, Converse and C. H. Slagle -. 1866, Converse, Slagle and Edward Fitzgerald; 1867, Slagle, Fitzgerald and Charles Phellis ; 1868, Fitzgerald. Phellis and John M. Lucas: 1869, Phellis. Lucas and William Hall; 1870. Lucas, Hall and Charles Phellis ; 1871, Hall, Henry Burnham. vice Phellis resigned, and James Foster: 1872, Burnham, Foster and James Lilly., 1873. Foster, Lilly and Daniel Boyd ; 1874, Lilly, Boyd and Benamin Harrison ; 1875, Boyd. Harrison and L. B. Wright ; 1876, Harrison, Wright and James Millikin; 1877, Wright, Millikin and John M. Lucas ; 1878. Millikin. Lucas and and James M. Willard : IS 71, Lucas, Willard and James Millikin ; 1880. Willard, Millikin and David Watson; 1881, Millikin, Watson and Charles Phellis, Jr.; 1882, Watson, Phellis and Henry Lilly ; 1883, Phellis. Lilly and Charles H. Beale.
Under the Territorial laws, passed at Marietta, in 1788, the office of Sheriff was adopted from the statutes of the older States. Previous to April 3, 1803, the office was appointive. but on that date an act was passed providing for an election every two years. The following is a list of men who have filled the office in Madison County since its organization : From 1810-13, John Moore, 1814, James Ballard ; 1815-16, Philip Lewis ; December 14, 1816-18, James Ballard; December 13, 1818-June, 1819, William Ware; June 8, 1819-24, Nathan Bond; 1825-26, Stephen Moore; 1827-30, Henry Warner; 1831-34 William Warner; 1835-36, J. Q. Lottspiech ; 1837-40, William Warner; 1841-42, William T. Davidson ; 1843-44, Stephen Moore ; 1845-46. William Warner; 1847-48, John Jones ; 1849, William Squires, who left the county, and the office was filled in 1850 by George W. Lohr, the Coroner; 1851-52, William Warner; 1853-56, Edward McCormack; 1857, William Smith, who left the county in March, 1858, and the Coroner, Calvin Newcomb, served out the term ; 1859-62, W. S. Shepherd; 1863, Calvin Newcomb, who died in office;
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 363
1864-65, Robert Withrow ; 1866-69, B. H. Lewis ; 1870-73, Henry T. Strawbridge ; 1874-77, E. R. Florence ; 1878-81, William Jones ; 188283, John F. Johnston.
The office of County Treasurer was created in the Northwest Territory August 1, 1792, and in 1799 the law was amended. On the 16th of April, 1803, the Ohio Legislature passed an act conferring on the Associate Judges the power of appointing the County Treasurer, but February 13, 1804, said power was transferred to the Board of County Commissioners. Thus it remained until March 12, 1831, when the office was made biennially elective. The following citizens have occupied the position in Madison County. From 1810-August, 1811, Thomas Gwynn; August, 1811-1815, Levi H. Post, who resigned in December of the latter year ; December, 1815-16, John Simpkins; 1817-25. Amos G. Thompson; 1826-June. 1838, Robert Hume; June, 1838-June, 1850, Henry Warner ; June. 1850-June, 1856, William A. Athey ; June, 1856-September, 1860. William T. Davidson ; September, 1860-September. 1864. William H. Chandler; September, 1864-September, 1866, Abraham Simpson ; September, 1866; September, 1868, Alva L. Messmore ; Horace Putnam began his duties in September, 1868, died in May, 1869. and Biggs D. Thomas was appointed to serve out the unexpired term ; September, 1870-September, 1874, Benjamin T. Custer; September, 1874-September, 1878, Henry T. Strawbridge; September, 1878-September. 1882, E. R. Florence; September, 1882, Abraham Tanner began his duties, his term expiring in September, 1884.
Until the adoption of the new constitution, the office of Clerk for the Court of Common Pleas, and for the Supreme Court, were separate and distinct appointments, each court appointing its own Clerk for the term of seven years; hut, in Madison County. as in many others, the two appointments were always given to the same individual. Under the new constitution the District Court was created, and the Supreme Court established permanently at Columbus. The election of one Clerk was provided for, to serve the Court of Common Pleas and District Court. whose official term is three years. But five men have filled this office in Madison County. one of whom, A. A. Hume, held the position for the unprecedented period of fortyone years. From 1810, until June 19. 1815, Robert Hume was Clerk. resigning on the latter date. He was succeeded by John Moore. who served until his death, June 27, 1839. when James F. Freeman was appointed Clerk, serving until May, 1841, at which time A. A. flume came into office. He was re-appointed under the old constitution, and re-elected under the new again and again, serving; continuously until February, 1882. Mr. Hume was succeeded by E. W. McCormack, upon the latter date, who is the present incumbent, his term expiring in February, 1885.
This office and the duties thereof were adopted from the statutes of Pennsylvania, in 1795. After Ohio became a State, in 1803. an act was passed diving the power of appointing the Recorder to the Court of Common Pleas, his term of service to be seven years. The duties of the office were
364 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
changed and defined by many subsequent acts, until February 25, 1831, when a law was enacted making tae office elective every three years, all vacancies to be filled by the County Commissioners. It will be seen that the same men filled the offices of Clark and Recorder at the same time, for the first twenty-nine years of the county's career, as, doubtless, the labor did not justify an official for each during those early years. Robert flame, from 1810 until his resignation, in July, 1815; John Moore, July 18, 1815, until his death, June 27; 1839; Robert Hume, July 6, 1839, until his death., May 9, 1854; Oliver P. Crabb served out the unexpired term from May 0. 1851, until the following October. In October, 1854, William Love came in, serving till his death, in May, 1857; W. A. Athey, was appointed in June, 1857, to fill the unexpired term, and served under the amended law until the end of that year; 1858-63, George Bowen; 1864-66. G. W. Darety : 1867-69, Sylvester W. Durflinger ; 1870-June, 1880, Leonard Eastman, who died in office, and, in June, 1880, E. W. McCormack was appointed to serve until a successor was elected; 1881-33, Samuel P. Trumper.
The office of County Surveyor was created and his duties defined by an act passed April 15, 1803. By laws enacted in 1816-17-19-20 and 1823, the duties of the office were changed and more fully described. The term of office was five years or during good behavior, and the incumbent was appointed by the Court of Common Pleas. On the 3d of March, 1831, an act was passed providing for the election of the County Surveyor triennially by the legal voters of the county. The following is a list of those who filled the office, but the records are so incomplete and vague that we cannot explain the irregularity in many of the terms. Some resigned, and their successors were appointed to serve the unexpired terms or until the next general election: From 1810-31. Patrick McLene; 1832-37, Henry Warner; 183840, Elias Warner ; 1841-50, Henry Alder; 1851, J. M. Christian ; 1852-53. Henry Alder; 1854, James S. Burnham; 1855, William G. Allen; 1856-58, Henry Alder; 1859-1864, Levin Willoughby; 1865-67, Henry Alder; 1868-70, James S. Burnham; 1871-73, Henry Alder; 1874-76, Jonathan Arnett; 1877, Lewis Creamer; 1878-80, Jonathan Arnett; 188183, Clinton Morse.
This office was established under the Territorial government in 1788, and April 15, 1803 an act was passed making it elective and describing the duties thereof, which by subsequent acts were changed and more fully defined. The Coroner, in case of the resignation or death of the Sheriff, becomes the occupant of that office during the unexpired term; and the Sheriff holds the same official relations toward the Coroner's office. Since the organization of Madison County. this position has been filled by the following gentlemen, viz.: 1810-13, John Timmons ; 1814-16, John Blair; 1817, J. K. De Lashmutt; 1818-19, Amos G. Thompson; 1820, M. H. Alkire ; 1821-24, Henry Warner, 1835-27, Josiah James ; 1828, John Graham; 1829-34, E. T. Hazell ; 1835-48, David Dunkin ; 1849-50, George W. Lohr; 1851-52, Samuel P. Davidson; 1853, Toland Jones; 1854-55, David Dunkin; 1856-59, Calvin Newcomb ; 1860-61, Andrew L. Brown; 1862-63, Francis M. Chapman; 1864-65, Abraham Zombro; 1866-67,
PAGE 365 - BLANK
PAGE 366 - PICTURE OF AUBURN SMITH
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 367
George Harding ; 1868-69, Francis M. Chapman ; 1870, Owen Thomas, appointed vice Abraham Zombro, who was elected, but did not qualify; 1871-72, A. V. Chrisman ; 1873, Andrew L. Brown; 1874-45, Francis M. Chapman ; 1876-83, A. V. Chrisman.
Many changes have taken place in the mode of collecting taxes. During the early history of the State, the chattel tax was collected by Township Collectors, and a County Collector gathered the land tax. From about 1806 to 1820, the State was divided into four districts, and a Collector of non-resident land tax appointed by the Legislature for each district, while at the same time the County Collector collected the chattel tax, and tax upon resident lands. From 1820 until 1827. the County Collector collected all taxes for State and county purposes, but in the latter year the office was abolished, since which it has been the duty of the Treasurer to receive or collect the taxes. In 1810-1811, John duty Moore ; 1812, William McCormack ; 1813, James Ballard ; 1814-1815, Philip Lewis ; 1816, James Ballard ; 1817, John Simpkins ; 1818, William Ware ; 1819-1824, Nathan Bond ; 1825-1826, Stephen Moore.
The office of County Auditor was created by an act passed February 8, 1820, by which said officials were appointed by a joint resolution of the General Assembly. to hold office one year, but in case of a vacancy occurring, the Court of Common Pleas was authorized to fill the same. The duties of the office were established by the same act, and February 2. 1821, a law was enacted, providing for the election of Auditors in the following October, to hold office for one year from March 1, 1822. The power of filling vacancies was transferred to the County Commissioners by he act of 1821. On the 23d of February, 1824, a law was passed, making the official term two years, which, five years ago, was increased to three years, and so remains. Prior to the creation of this office, the principal duties since performed by the Auditor were discharged by the County Commissioners and their Clerk. From 1820-1844, Patrick McLene ; 1845-1850, John Melvin ; 1851-1854, .John Rouse, who resigned in the fall of the latter year November, 1854 March, 1857, P. R. Chrisman ; March, 1857-March. 1863, Oliver P. Crabb ; March. 1863-March, 1865, J. Peetery ; March, 1865-March. 1875, Noah Thomas : March, 1875November. 1880, M. M. Thomas; November. 1880-November, 1883, Samuel M. Prugh.
The office of Probate Judge was created by the seventh section of Article IV of the New Constitution, and the first election held to fill said office on the second Tuesday in October, 1851, the official term to be three years. It is a court of record in the fullest sense, and belongs to that class whose records import absolute verity, that are competent to decide on their own jurisdiction, and to exercise it to final judgment without setting forth the facts and evidence on which it is rendered. The Probate Judge has jurisdiction in probate and testamentary matters, the appointment of ad-
368 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
ministrators and guardians, the settlement of the accounts of executors, administrators and guardians, and such jurisdiction in habeas corpus, the issuing of marriage licenses, and for the sale of land by executors, administrators and guardians, also such other jurisdiction in any county as may be provided by law. The first to hold this office in Madison County was Nathan Bond, who served from 1852 to February, 1858 ; B. F. Clark succeeded him, serving from February, 1858, to February, 1864 ; J. H. Kennedy, February, 1864, to February, 1876 ; Oliver P. Crabb, February, 1876, to February, 1885, on which date his last term expires.
BIOGRAPHIES OF PIONEER OFFICIALS.
The destiny of every county in Ohio has been guided by a certain class of men selected by the people for their ability and peculiar fitness to transact the public business; and we find as a rule, that they were men well worthy of the trust imposed. We have. therefore, selected, without favor, for brief sketches in this chapter, those who first occupied the offices in Madison County. To continue the list farther would be foreign to the object in view, viz., the preservation of the biographies of the men who watched over the public affairs of Madison County during its infancy and guided its official bark in safety throughout its early career. The material at hand was, in most cases, very meager, and while we believe the sketches to be reliable, yet if we claimed freedom from mistakes, that perfection would have been attained of which we had not the faintest conception, and which Macaulay once said never could be reached
The early life of Col. Elias Langham seems to be involved in complete obscurity, and we first hear of him coming to Chillicothe, Ohio, in the spring of 1798. We know, however, that he was a native of Virginia, a Major in the Revolutionary war, and a man of education and ability, whose later years were clouded by the demon of intemperance. Ile located first in Ross County, and was extensively engaged in land speculation. In 1799-1801, and 1801-03, he was a member of the Territorial Assembly ; and in 1803, at the first election held in Ohio, was one of the four Congressional candidates, one of whom was to be chosen to represent the new State at Washington. In 1803-04, 1805-06 and 1807-08, He was a member of the Ohio General Assembly, and was Speaker of the House in 1803-04. During his residence in Ross County. he was one of the surveyors appointed to survey the residue lands which subsequently composed the Chillicothe Land District, which included Madison County. Thus he became fimilar with this region of country and acquired a large amount of land which he disposed of to the early settlers. It is said that considerable trouble was experienced by many of these purchasers in obtaining good titles, some of whom had to pay for their land a second time or lose it ; but injustice to Col. Langham, we must say that it was not dishonesty on his part that caused this, he really believing the lands to be his, but it is laid at the door of his love for strong, drink, which made him neglectful and unfitted him for attending to his business. The exact date of Col. Langham's settlement in Madison County is a mere matter of conjecture, but according to the reminiscences of David Watson, he was living in a cabin about one mile
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - 369
south of London, in July, 1807. He was then a widower and father of three sons, viz., John, Angus and Elias, none of whom resided in this county any length of time. Col. Langham spent the balance of his days here ; was active in building' up London ; died at the residence of Judge Baskerville, about 1830, and was buried on the Baskerville farm.
One of the most popular men during the pioneer days of Madison County was Judge Isaac -liner, a native of Massachusetts, born in 1778, subsequently removing to New York. whence, in 1806, he came to Franklin County, Ohio. In early life, he learned the trade of a millwright and upon coming to this State erected a mill at Georgesville, but getting into financial trouble, he, with his brother Jeremiah, who had come a year later, removed, in 1808, to leased lands on Deer Creek, in what is now Oak Run Township, Madison County, where they engaged in the stock trade which proved very remunerative, each of the brothers accumulating a fortune. In 1809, Isaac .liner was elected Associate Judge of Franklin County, and held that office until the territory composing Madison was cut off and formed into a new county, when he was elected one of the Associate Judges of Madison, serving through 1810. then resigning the office. In the sessions of 1816-17, 1817-18, 1818-19 and 1820-21, he represented this district in the Ohio Legislature. He married and became the father of three sons, viz.: Griffin, who removed to the West; John. who studied law, rose to the position of Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and died in Cincinnati; and William, who was Sheriff of Franklin County, 1855-56. A few years after the expiration of his last legislative term, Judge Miner and his brother returned to Franklin County. and purchased the property known for many years as the "old Miner farm," near Columbus, where the Judge died in the fall of 1831 aged fifty-three years. His brother, Jeremiah, lived a bachelor, dying at the advanced age of seventy-four years at Sandusky, Wyandot County, in the spring of 1854. He was interred in Green Lawn Cemetery, on the old Miner faun." Both were honest, independent minded men, successful in getting property, but Jeremiah was very eccentric, while Isaac possessed a well-balanced legal mind and a capacity of winning friends which assisted him very materially in the battle of life.
Among the worthy pioneers of the Scioto Valley, Judge Samuel Baskerville stood deservedly high. Born in Virginia, he there grew to manhood, and upon the breaking-out of the Revolutionary war, entered the service of his country. For seven years and nine months he was a Lieutenant in a Virginia regiment, battling against the hereditary foe of liberty. Upon the triumphant close of that struggle, he settled clown to enjoy the fruits of that independence he helped to win. He was twice married, and became the father of the following children : John, William, Mary, Samuel, Martha, James, Richard A., Nancy and an older son whose name we have been unable to learn. About 1809, he removed with his family to what is now Paint Township, Madison Co.. Ohio , settling on the head-waters of Bradford's Fork, and in June. 1813, he received a Virginia military land warrant for 333 1/3 acres of land, upon which he had previously settled. In 1810,
370 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
Judge Baskerville was elected an Associate Judge of Madison County, and served continuously until November, 1820. All of his children lived to ripe old ages, and were well known throughout this section of country. Politically, Judge Baskerville was a Whig. and possessed that easy, suave, polite and hospitable manner, indicative of the old-fashioned Virginia gentleman. His remains were interred upon his farm. where he had passed his declining years in the enjoyment of that peace, happiness anal liberty which he fought seven years to obtain.
In 1805, John Arbuckle, a native of Greenbrier County, Va., located upon 400 acres of land, where his son Jacob now resides, in Somerford Township. He was born October 1771, and married Nancy Sturgeon October 3, 1799, who bore him two children-Elizabeth and Sarah. His wife died prior to the war of 1813, and, February 2, 1813, he married Elizabeth Bishop, who became tae mother of the following children : William, Mathew, Susan, Charles, Rebecca and Jacob, several of whom are living and among the most respected citizens of Madison County. Upon the erection of this county. Mr. Arbuckle was elected one of the County Commissioners, and served through 1810. From 1811-16, he was one of the Associate Judges; was County Commissioner in 1820-21, and again Associate Judge from 1821 to 1835, inclusive. In the sessions of 1836-37 and 1837-38, he represented this Senatorial District in the Ohio General Assembly, and in all these official trusts he fully retained the confidence of the people who had chosen him to execute the public business. Like all valuable citizens, he was constantly called upon to nil the in many minor offices of his township, from its organization until his death, September 30. 1845. His widow survived him nearly twenty years, dying, April 8, 1865. Judge Arbuckle was an adherent of the Whig party yet, while firm in his opinions, he was not offensive, and won and retained hosts of friends of every creed and political faith.
Few men have had the good fortune to win the affectionate regard and honest friendship of the people of Madison County to such an extent as Jonathan Minshall. He was born near Winchester, Frederick Co., Va., November 8, 1782, and in October 1803, became a member of the M. E. Church. Soon after his conversion. he was united in marriage to Miss Eleanor Watson, daughter of Walter and Rachel Watson, natives of Maryland. In the fill of 1806, he removed to Ross Co.. Ohio, where his wife remained until he could select the site of their future home. He. with his brother-in-law, David Watson, selected land on Walnut Run. in what is now Paint Township, Madison County. upon which they erected a small cabin, which was completed and occupied, January 17, 1807. There was no other house for many miles in any direction, and Jonathan Minshall and wife, with David Watson, comprised the entire settlement in that vicinity. They were not, however, discouraged, but went to work with vigor to make for themselves a home. In June, 1807, Rev. Benjamin Lakin, came and preached in this cabin, and formed a class, consisting of its three occupants. Mr. Minshall was appointed leader of this pioneer band of Christians, and the influence of this little society, from that day to this, has impressed its
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - 371
fundamental character upon that neighborhood. About two years after the formation of the class, Mr. Minshall was licensed as a local preacher, and being the only one in that region of country, he did much, in every way, to sustain the principles of Christianity. Gifted in speech, upright in life, manly in appearance and personal bearing, and firm in purpose, he stood as a bright example in the midst of the gradually increasing settlement.
To Jonathan and Eleanor Minshall, were born the following children Jessie, Rachel, Permelia, Hannah, Walter, Polly, James Quinn, Harriet, Lydia and Ellen ; the last mentioned and Polly being the only survivors. His wife died, June 6, 1820, and he subsequently married Leah Bradford. who bore him seven children, viz. : Edward. Isaac, William, Enoch, Asberina, Wesley, and one died in infancy. Mr. Minshall was not only a useful man in the church, but also in the business affairs of the neighborhood. He was honored, both with township and county offices, the trust and duties of which he discharged with fidelity. He was a Justice of the Peace for some years. and County Commissioner from 1811-16, inclusive. Mr. Minshall was a good, plain, practical, common-sense preacher, who was much respected and loved by those who knew him best. At the meridan of life, he was broken down in health, and prostrated in his financial affairs, which embarrassed him all the remainder of his days. He still preached. when opportunity afforded, until the weight of age and afflictions pressed him down into comparative helplessness, but his declining years were solaced by the affectionate care of his son James Quinn, who was one of the leading business men of Madison County. Mr. Minshall passed away in peace and tranquillity, September 30, 1868, respected by all and loved by most who knew him.
Little is known of this gentleman or where he lived prior to his settlement in Madison County. He located with his family two miles and a half north of where London stands early in the present century, upon land now owned by William Morrow Beach, and on the erection of this county was elected County Commissioner. serving in that capacity from 1810 to 1815. He was Clerk of the board until June. 1812 and must have been a man of fair education, as most of his work in the Commissioners' journal is very creditable for those days. It is said that he never owned lams in this county, or if so, a very small amount, but was merely a squatter." After he was deprived of the Commissioner's office, he left the county, and as far as we know, was never heard of again.
There was not in Madison County during his lifetime. a man more widely known or respected than the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He came of Irish ancestry, who had settled in Pennsylvania, subsequently removing to the Territory of Tennessee. but whether Patrick was born in Pennsylvania or the latter State is yet a mooted question. His birth occurred about 1787, and his parents died when he was quite small, leaving him to the care of an aunt who resided in Alabama. There were four brothers in the family, viz., Jeremiah. who was born in Pennsylvania, removed to Tennessee with his parents, where he became an intimate friend of Gen. Andrew Jackson, and subsequently was a pioneer of the Northwest Territory. In
372 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
the beginning of the present century he located at Chillicothe, and while there was Sheriff of Ross County, and in 1807-08 represented Franklin County in the Legislature. From 1808 to 1831 be served as Secretary of State, and represented Franklin County in the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Sessions of Congress. By education a surveyor, he loved his compass ; was one of the Commissioners who located the county seat of Franklin County in 1803, and served in the capacity of County Surveyor of Franklin County, also City Surveyor of Columbus for many years, dying at Washington, D. C.. during the second session of his Congressional career March 19, 1837, aged seventy years ; Isaac, went to Arkansas, where he spent his life; John, settled in Chillicothe, was engaged in the cattle trade for some years with his brother Patrick, removed thence to Little Rock, Ark., where he followed merchandising until his death.
In early life, Patrick learned surveying, but soon after coming to Ohio, he entered into a partnership with his brother John, in the cattle trade, grazing cattle near the present site of London, which he followed in connection with his profession. In 1811, he was appointed Director by the Court of Common Pleas to lay off the town of London, on the site selected by the Commissioners previously authorized by the Legislature to locate the county seat of Madison County. The wide, regular and handsome streets which are the pride of this city to-day are the result of the wisdom and foresight of Patrick McLene. He did more surveying in Madison County than any man of his time; from 1810 to 1831, he occupied the office of County Surveyor, and in 1811 established the boundaries of Madison County, and located the center of the same according to law. He owned a large farm in Oak Run Township, upon which he lived many years. In 1818, he was elected a Justice of the Peace, and was very popular as an official to perform the marriage ceremony during those pioneer days, and through 1819 he served as County Commissioner. On the creation of the Auditor's office, he was appointed by the General Assembly Auditor of Madison County, until the next election, but he was elected continuously again and again, serving in that capacity from 1820 to 1844 inclusive. In 1845, he entered upon his duties as Associate Judge, and held that position something over five years. Mr. McLene was twice married, first to Mary Warner, sister of " Uncle Billy " Warner, of London, who was a weakly woman, and did not live long. He then married Rebecca Warner, a half-sister of his first wife, who became the mother of two children, who died in infancy, thus leaving no issue from either marriage. Mr. McLene died December 7, 1863, and his remains now he in Kirkwood Cemetery. His widow still survives him. Although a Whig in politics, he was no politician, but rather a quiet unobtrusive man who attended strictly to his own business. In all his active business and official career, he sustained an unblemished character; as a husband, neighbor and citizen, his life was beyond reproach. and in his death Madison County lost one of its truest friends, and the world an honest man.
This well-remembered pioneer was a son of William and Annie Hume, he a native of Virginia; and she of Pennsylvania, who were the parents of a large family, but who died when Robert was about fourteen years of age. Our subject was born in Fauquier County, Va., in 1781, and in 1799
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 373
came with two older brothers to the vicinity of West all, Pickaway Co., Ohio, where he assisted in raising one crop. Thence he went to Chillicothe, and engaged as clerk in a store, remaining there until 1804, when he removed to this county, purchasing land in what is now Paint Township. In 1808, he marred Isabella Stockton Davis, a native of Morgantown, Va., and daughter of John and Isabella Davis. of that State. Of this union were born the following children: Alexander A., Annie (deceased), John D. (deceased), Robert (deceased), William (deceased), James S.. Thomas W. deceased), Charles L. (deceased). Eliza J. (the wife of Elihu Fallis), Evelina (deceased), Edgar (deceased) and Edmund (deceased). Mrs. Hume died in 1829, and he married Mrs. Elizabeth Huston, a daughter of John Arbuckle, who bore him two children-Edward (deceased) and Isabella (the wife of John Stroup).
The official career of Robert Hume spreads over nearly forty years of the county's existence. He owned about 600 acres of land, upon which he was living when Madison County was erected, and he was chosen as Clerk, and Recorder of said county, serving in both offices, respectively, from 1810 until June and July, 1815, at which time he resigned, removed to Chillicothe, and thence to Kentucky. In the spring of 1811, he erected a cabin on the site of John Dungan's residence in London, into which he removed from the farm the same year. A couple of years passed away, and the cabin was replaced by a substantial two-storied hewed-log house, in which he kept a tavern until his removal to Chillicothe. During his absence from Madison County, a store was operated in London, under the name of Needham & Hume, these gentlemen supplying the capital. In a few years, he again came to Madison County, and in 1823-24 represented this district in the Ohio Legislature. He was County Treasurer from 1826, to June, 1838, and again Recorder from July, 1839, until his death May 9, 1854, his wife having died a few years prior to the latter date. Politically, Mr. Hume was a Whig, and an ardent supporter of his party. In size, he was of the ordinary cast of manhood, but although his life was a busy one, he seldom enjoyed good health, yet lived to the ripe age of seventy-three years. He was always regarded as a valuable citizen, and that the people had the utmost confidence in his ability and integrity, was demonstrated by the many official trusts they conferred upon him.
If a lifetime of business activity terminating in success, from every standpoint, deserves to be remembered in these pages, then are we doubly justified in inserting a brief sketch of John Moore. Of his ancestry, we know nothing, but his name evidently signifies his Irish origin. He was born near Richmond, Va., in 1780, at a time when the colonies were struggling against the tyranny of England, in that bitter contest for independence. We learn that in early manhood, he was in the habit of making periodical trips to the Northwest Territory, on hunting expeditions and in this way became familiar with the country, now embraced in Madison County. At what particular date he located permanently here is not even known by his only surviving child, but we are convinced it was early in the present century, as he was instrumental in finding the relatives of Jonathan Alder, who was then living with his Indian wife on Big Darby, and went to Virginia with John Moore, where he found his mother and brothers whom
374 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
he had not seen since his early boyhood. Upon the organization of Madison County in 1810, Mr. Moore was elected Sheriff, and served from 1810-13; was County Collector in 1810-11, and Clerk and Recorder, respectively, from June and July, 1815, until his death, June 27, 1839. He married Dorcas Phifer, of London, who became the mother of two children-Eliza and Caroline. The latter died in childhood, the former married Joseph Chrisman. a leading merchant of London, who died leaving no issue. His widow still survives him and resides in Topeka, Kan., although the owner of a large estate in this county. Politically, Mr. Moore was a stanch Democrat and an ardent admirer of Andrew Jackson. He was one of the pioneer merchants of London. which business he carried on in later years, in the present residence of Stephen Watson, which he erected in 1833. He was also an extensive stock-dealer and one of the largest land-owners of Madison County. As already stated. he died June 27, 1839, his widow surviving him until November 2. 1870, aged seventy years. Both are sleeping side by side in Oak Hill Cemetery, where free from the cares of a life of activity and usefulness devoted to the welfare and prosperity of his adopted county, rest the remains of an honest, successful citizen, a Christian and a patriot.
The history of Madison County would be incomplete without a brief sketch of the career of Philip Lewis, who, during the first thirty years of his residence therein, took a leading place in its affairs. He was born in Pennsylvania about 1778, his infancy being passed in the midst of the eventful days of the Revolutionary war. His father's name was also Philip. and about 1796 the family removed to the Northwest Territory and settled in Adams County, on the Ohio River. Here our subject attained his manhood. and in the session of 1804-05, represented Adams County in the Ohio Legislature. In 1805-06, and 1806-07, his father was one of the Legislature members from that county, and was succeeded by Philip, Jr., in 1807-08. Thus, prior to his coming to Madison County, he was one of the rising young men of the Scioto Valley. He was married, in Adams County, July 4. 1805, to Miss Nancy Umble, and in 1809 located temporarily on Deer Creek, in what is now Somerford Township. Madison Co., Ohio. His stay there was brief, for we find upon record that he was appointed Director in the summer of 1810, to lay off the county seat for the newly organized county, and call the same Madison. The plat of this town bears date of having been certified to November 13, 1810, but its exact location is a matter of dispute. It, however, was short lived, being legally displaced by London, which was laid out by Patrick McLene the following year. To Philip and Nancy Lewis were born the following children : Betsy. who married Dr. Aquilla Toland ; Alithea, became the wife of Samuel N. Kerr ; George W.; Delilah, who married A. W. Tinder; and Hamilton. Mrs. Lewis died about 1814, and March 8. 1816, he married Abigal Melvin, daughter of John Melvin, of this county. She was born in Tennessee :March 25, 1796, and by this union became the mother of seven children, viz.. Augustus. Jane, John, Elias L., Minerva (who married Richard Acton). Joseph R. and Missouri (who became the wife of Thomas Acton).
Soon after London was laid out, Mr. Lewis erected a log tavern. and was engaged as an inn-keeper for nearly forty years. His official life is one
PAGE 375 - PICTURE OF ROBERT BOYD
PAGE 376 - BLANK
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 377
of much interest. In 1813, he was appointed Paymaster of the First Regiment, Fourth Brigade, Second Division of the Ohio Militia, and we presume it was on account of holding this position that in subsequent years he bore the title of �` Colonel." In 1814-15, he served as County Collector; was Sheriff in 1815-16, and County Commissioner in 1817-18. He represented the Madison County District in the Ohio Legislature, in 1824-25, 182526 and 1826-27 ; and in 1832-33 and 1833-34, he occupied a seat in the Senate. He filled many of the minor offices in the township, such as Justice of the Peace, etc., and throughout his official career his ability, honor and integrity, were never questioned. Generous to a fault, he was not a successful money-Better, but if to be a kind husband, an indulgent father, a warm and faithful friend, an efficient public officer, and an honest man, is worthy of record. then indeed does the life of Philip Lewis deserve a place in the pages of history. He died June 28, 1851, and was interred with Masonic honors. of which order he was a member, in the old Methodist Graveyard, but was subsequently re-interred at Oak Hill Cemetery. His widow survived him until May 8, 1878, when she, too, passed away, and was laid to rest beside the companion of her earlier years.
Some time prior to the erection of Madison County. probably as early as 1808, six brothers-Thomas, John E.. William, Eli W., David and Horatio Gwynne-natives of Maryland, came to the territory now composing this county, and settled in what is now Deer Creek Township. Upon the organization of the county, the temporary seat of ,justice was established at the house of Thomas Gwynne, where it remained throughout 1810 and the greater part of 1811. He served as County Treasurer from 1810 until August, 1811, and Associate Judge, by appointment of the Governor, from March to November, 1820. Prior to the permanent location of the county seat. Mr. Gwynne labored hard to have it established on his land in Deer Creek Township, and was much chagrined at tile defeat of his pet project. He kept the first tavern and store in the county after its creation, subsequently removing the latter to London. Thomas Gwynne married a Miss Murdock, of Maryland, of which union was born Lewellen. David. Thomas M., Mrs. John W. Andrews, Mrs. Buttles and. perhaps. others. In 1816, he laid out the town of Lawrenceville, which has since become extinct. His brother David was a Paymaster in the United States Army, and assisted his brothers very materially in their business ventures. They were all connected together in their mercantile transactions, operated stores at London, Urbana and Columbus, and while living in Urbana, Thomas died, leaving to his heirs a large estate. These Gwynnes were very active, energetic business men, and all died wealthy. The descendants of the family still own a large amount of land in Madison County; but none are residents thereof.
A. A. HUME.
We believe there can be no more appropriate way of closing these sketches than to briefly mention the long official career of A. A. Hume, who, although not a pioneer in the strictest sense of the term, has, nevertheless, lived so long in Madison County and served the people so faithfully that to leave him out of this chapter would be an injustice. He was born in Paint
378 - HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY.
Township, this county, September 30, 1809, and is a son of Robert and Isabella S. Hume, who are mentioned in the foregoing pages. Here he grew up during the pioneer clays, and in 1841 was appointed Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas. He was elected to fill that position eleven times in succession, serving continuously until February, 1382. The amount of official work done during this period of forty-one years cannot easily be estimated a period stretching over one and one-third generations of people. Since the time when he took office, eight out of ten who were then living have passed away. On the 22d of February, 1883, the bar of London tendered Mr. Hume a banquet at the Phifer House, in honor of his long official life and his worth as a public servant. Every member of the bar was present, excepting two, all of the county officers and many other leading citizens to celebrate the close of the longest continuous official career in the history of Ohio. Col. J. C. McCloud, President of the Bar Association, presided at the banquet, while Hon. Henry W. Smith, on behalf of the bar, presented Mr. Hume with a gold-headed cane, on the head of which was engraved the following : " Presented to A. A. Hume, Clerk of Court from 1841 to 1882, by the London, Ohio, Bar, February 22, 1882." It was a fitting testimonial to the integrity of Mr. Hume, and a worthy mark of friendship from those whom he served so Ion g. Letters of regret were received from Hons. Joseph R. Swan, Joseph Olds, Richard A. Harrison, Eli P. Evans and Samuel W. Courtright, while Hon. James L. Bates was present to testify to his warm friendship for the old ex-Clerk, whom he had known intimately many years. As is the general custom at such entertainments, wit and wisdom flowed freely, assisted materially by the invigorating viands prepared for the occasion. Hon. James L. Bates responded to The Common Law ;" Hon. George Lincoln to The Court;" James M. Horrell to " The Lawyers ;" S. W. Durflinger to " The Jury; B. H. Lewis to `� Attorney's Fees ;" Ernest McCormack to " Costs :" G. W. Wilson to George Washington;" Bruce P. Jones to " The Mayor of London ;" O. P. Converse to " The Ladies;" D. C. Badger to " The Law of Evidence;" George B. Cannon to The Civil Code;" Martin O'Donnell to " The Bar;" W. B. Hamilton to Our Host and Hostess ;" M. L. Bryan and George E. Ross to " The Press." The worthy recipient of this banquet is proud of the place he won in the hearts of the Madison County bar, and fully appreciates the honor, which was a just and fitting tribute to his official honesty and ability.'
The political history of Madison County may he toll in a few brief sentences. During the first ten years after its erection, politics were in a crude state, and party organization was not fully developed ; therefore, the political ties then binding men to any particular party were easily severed. In 1812, its vote was cast for James Madison. and in 1816 and 1820, it went for James Monroe. The first election at which partisan spirit was in any degree aroused, was in 1821, when Andrew Jackson carried the county on the Democratic ticket. He again carried it in 1828 and 1832; but by this time the Whigs had developed such strength that the Democrats never again carried the county in a State or Presidential election during the existence of the Whig party.
*The biographies of David Mitchell and Joshua Ewing will he found in the chapter on pioneers.
HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY. - 379
The Know-Nothing craze swept over both parties in Madison County for the time being, but this fanaticism soon passed away, leaving the newborn Republican party in the ascendency. It has ever since had a small majority in State and Presidential contests, with the exception of the Gubernatorial election between Allen G. Thurman and R. B. Hayes, in which the former carried the county by seventeen majority; and one or two other State elections when the Republicans were defeated. The Democrats usually elect a portion of the county ticket, while the county has been represented in the General Assembly several times by a Democratic member; yet in a close contest, where party spirit ran high, Madison County has always given a majority for the candidates of the Republican party.