Walpole, Norfolk County, Post-town, 18 miles S.W. of Boston.
Incorporated Dec. 10th, 1724, and has 1935 inhabitants. Bounded
north by Dedham, east of Sharon, south by Foxboro, west by
Medfield. This town was formerly a part of Dedham. Three
considerable branches of Neponset River from Sharon, Foxborough
and Medfield, unites in this town. These streams furnish good
water power, much of which is well emproved. There are three
cotton mills with 3,000 spindles, amount of cloth made 120,000
yards; of thread 5,000 pounds.
There are also woolen mills, and forges for anchors, hollow ware, shovels, paper, etc., manufactured here.
It is a pleasant and flourishing town with several villages. The Norfolk County railroad, intended as a part of the Air-line railroad from Boston to New York traverses this town. A church was formed here early in the last century, and Rev. Phillips Payson ordained in 1728. Rev. Phillips Payson, formerly of Chelsea, and Rev. Seth Payson, D.D., formerly of Rindge[?], D.H.[?], were his sons. There are at present (1860?) Trinitarian, Unitarian and Methodist Societies. Valuation is $812,984.
From Historical and Statistical Gazetteer of Massachusetts by Jeremiah Spofford, M.D., second edition-revised, corrected and large part rewritten. Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1860, by Edward G. Frothingham, in the Clerk's Office of the District of the Court of Mass.
[?] indicates previous entry illegible on copy transcribed. Transcriber's best guess.
Last updated 30 October 2000