Daily Hip-Hop News:
Busta Rhymes Enlists T.I., Common & Mary J. Blige For New LP
written by Thomas A. Harden
Friday - April 11, 2008
After releasing The Big Bang in 2006, Busta Rhymes' life became engulfed in controversy and tragedy. Now, two years removed from the drama, Busta is back to silence his critics and address the haters with his new album, I'm Blessed.
SOHH had a chance to hear a preview of Busta's eight-studio album, last night at a private listening session in Manhattan. The rapper (born Trevor Smith) took the opportunity to inform invited guests that his spirits were high despite enduring a tumultuous two years, which saw the Flipmode General lose the life of his best friend and bodyguard Israel Ramirez; and face two counts of assaults charges and a DUI. It ended in Busta being sentenced to three years probation.
The self-proclaimed "Godfather of the Club Banger's" was in old form as he unleashed the first single - the anthemic, "Don't Touch Me (Throw Da Water On'em)," - produced by Sean C and LV of Grind Music productions (known for their work on Jay-Z's American Gangster). On the introspective "Decisions," which features Mary J. Blige, Jamie Fox and Common, Busta Bus addresses the situations that clouded his life during the last two years and thanks those who supported him through the struggle.
The Cool & Dre produced, "Don't Believe Them" featuring Akon and T.I. finds Busta and Tip addressing the Grand Hustle CEO's arrest right before last years BET Awards, marking the first time Tip went on record about the gun charge.
The album also features appearances from Linkin Park, T-Pain along with production from longtime associates Pharrell and the legendary DJ Scratch.
I'm Blessed is slated to hit stores this June/July via Aftermath/Interscope.
Past Daily Hip-Hop News
- 06-15-2008: SOHH Exclusive: Akon - The Next Mogul In The Making?
- 06-14-2008: SOHH Exclusive: KRS-ONE On The Juice Crew Flick, "The Movie Kinda Collapsed"
- 06-13-2008: Breaking News: R. Kelly Found Not Guilty On All Charges
- 06-13-2008: Plies On Track To Sell 250K In First Week, Surprises Fans In Home State
- 06-13-2008: Mike Tyson Accused Of Plotting Revenge in The Death Of 50 Cent's Alleged Shooter
- 06-13-2008: Ashanti Feels Pressure From Protesters, Shuts Website Down