Brown says losses not bad luck

By Cody Hale
  • Print
  • Email
Jamaal Charles is tackled during Saturday's game against Oklahoma. Charles has been having troubles with fumbling all season long.
Media Credit: Stephen Durda

There are different ways of evaluating Texas football at the mid-point of the 2007 season.

Some would say that the No. 22 Longhorns are just unlucky and haven't had many breaks go their way. Others might contend that injuries have been the reason Texas is 0-2 for the first time in conference play since 1956.

Texas coach Mack Brown doesn't want to hear any of it.

"By saying we're unlucky is just a cop-out, this game isn't about luck," Brown said. "If you knock balls loose you should get on them. If you tip balls in the air you should catch them. We're not going to have any excuses."

One of his main issues involves the defense's lack of big plays.

"The fact is we're not forcing turnovers," Brown said. "We need to get better at our pass rush so we can pressure the quarterback."

Against Texas at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford completed 21-of-32 passes for 244 yards and three touchdowns. Rarely was Bradford pressured out of the pocket, and he was only sacked once while Texas quarterback Colt McCoy was sacked four times.

Bradford had enough time in the pocket to go through his progressions and find the open receivers. He connected with seven different Sooner receivers in the game.

Texas has also been turning the ball over too much, according to Brown, and he put some of the blame on the shoulders of running back Jamaal Charles, who has been plagued with turnovers all season, having lost four fumbles.

"If you've got [the ball] offensively, you've got to take care of it," Brown said. "I've been in so many discussions when a running back says, 'I'm tucking it away good.' Well, not if they're getting it. That's fact."

Both Brown and offensive coordinator Greg Davis hinted that Charles' play is currently being evaluated. Reducing his playing time or taking away his starting job isn't out of the question if his problems persist.

But Texas' coaches have been working with Charles on securing the ball better.

"We just need to find a way to get Jamaal into space," Davis said.

Any additional help Charles might need?
Page 1 of 2 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Moroccan Furniture
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Mortgage Refinancing
Concert Tickets
Prom Dresses
Discount Shopping
Dresses Dresses
Designer Swimwear

Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Prom Dresses 2008
Humana Health Insurance
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2008 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Media. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Contact Us | Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus
Buy Photos |
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons | Texas Student Media