Amey’s proud history began 80 years ago when William Amey set up a quarrying company in Oxfordshire. During the Second World War we helped with the construction of RAF bases and our involvement with the highways market began in 1959 with our supply of gravel for the M1, between London and Birmingham. We became a public company in the same year, with a share capital of £540,000.
In 1972 Ron Amey agreed to a takeover by Hanson, with the company being renamed to Amey Roadstone Construction. In 1989, the company return to private ownership and became known as Amey again.
In 1995, the company went back to the stock exchange with a strategic decision to focus on the provision of support services and expanded Private Finance Initiative (PFI) activity, which meant a gradual exit from the construction sector. Our position in support services was cemented in 1999, by the acquisition of Comax, the secure support services specialist. In 2000 our Stock Exchange listing changed to “support services.”
Dealing with rapid growth sharpened our focus. Our 2003 acquisition by Ferrovial, the Spanish infrastructure services company, provided the sound financial base to plan confidently for the future. It also gave us access to the skills and knowledge of a 100,000 strong worldwide network. In turn, Ferrovial benefits from Amey’s market-leading support services capability and expertise in Public Private Partnerships.
In 2002 we won a ground breaking project and the largest Public Private Partnership (PPP) in Europe, Tube Lines. Tube Lines is a company responsible for the maintenance, renewal and upgrade of the London Underground infrastructure on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines. In 2005 we acquired an additional stake in Tube Lines, making us a majority shareholder with 66%.
The 2006 acquisition of the highly respected professional services brand, Owen Williams has enabled us to offer clients a genuine end-end-to-end service incorporating highly regarded design and building consultancy.