Many Thanks to Kevin Dowd for his assistance in the preparation of these pages. 

Class 104 BRC&W 2/3/4-car sets

Built by Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd.

Introduced : 1957

Coupling Code : Blue Square

Body : 57ft 6in x 9ft 3in

Engines : BUT (Leyland) of 150hp

Transmission : Standard mechanical

 

These were the first of three classes built for BR by BRC&W Co Ltd at Smethwick, in association with the Drewry Car Co Ltd.

The initial order was for just four three-car sets, delivered to Longsight (then 9A) in 1957. Within two years, there were 302 Class 104 vehicles of six different car types, forming 2, 3 & 4-car sets allocated to many London Midland and North Eastern depots.