British Cemetery is
on right-hand side of the road leading from Hell Fire
Corner to Zillebeke. A wartime cemetery where men were
buried in the ruins of a tile factory, it was utterly
destroyed by shellfire. Today 106 grave stones record
men who were known to have been buried here. This view
looks across the cemetery in the direction of Ypres.
the churchyard in the centre of Zillebeke is a small plot of
British graves, many dating from the earliest days of the First
Battle of Ypres in October 1914. A few of the graves are those
of sons of wealthy, well-connected families. For reasons which
are now obscure, the original gravesones placed by the families
soon after the Armistice were allowed to remain among the CWGC
stones at the other graves.
Row Trench Cemetery contains 98 soldiers graves. It is
one of a small cluster of cemeteries near to the Ypres-Comines
canal and the notorious Bluff position. It was begun as early
as March 1915, but the graves suffered from being within
shellfire range for more than three years.
Farm Cemetery lies on the lane running from Zillebeke
towards Voormezele, near where it crosses the Ypres-Comines
canal. A short distance along the canal embankment was the
deadly position called the Bluff. Most of the 420 men buried
here, and the 520 in nearby Spoilbank Cemetery, died
of wounds received there.
Farm lies near the canal too, a few hundred metres
towards Ypres, and alongside the main and very busy Ypres-Ploegsteert
road. The farm has been rebuilt and is flourishing around
this extensive series of British concrete shelters.
along side the main road, a few hundred metres further towards
Ypres, is Bedford House Cemetery. A very attractive
set of gardens, surrounded by pools and moats, contains the
graves of 4,601 British soldiers. This was a wartime cemetery,
but greatly enlarged by postwar battlefield clearance and bringing
in men from small scattered cemeteries in the Salient.