ARIA HALL OF FAME
The Hall of Fame has been an important part of the ARIA Awards since 1988. Traditionally taking place during the ARIA Awards ceremony, a diverse range of artists have been inducted into the Hall of Fame including AC / DC, Dame Joan Sutherland, Olivia Newton John, Johnny O’ Keefe, Paul Kelly, John Farnham, INXS, Slim Dusty, Jimmy Little and many more.
In July 2005, ARIA staged the inaugural ARIA Icons: Hall of Fame event, which was introduced to honour the growing number of legendary performers, producers, songwriters and others who have had an impact on music culture in Australia. In the past, time constraints had prevented any more than one or two artists from being inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame at each ARIA Awards, resulting in a lengthy waiting list of worthy recipients.
While ARIA intends to maintain a Hall of Fame segment within the ARIA Awards presentation, the ARIA Icons: Hall of Fame will become an annual stand-alone event that continues to honour those whose musical achievements have had a significant impact in Australia and around the world.
The guidelines set out below were the principle parameters for induction when the awards first started in 1987. The guidelines have not changed since.
- The Hall of Fame recognises four categories of music – pop/rock, jazz, classical and country;
- The nominees' careers must have commenced, and ideally achieved significant prominence, at least 20 years prior to the year of proposed induction;
- Membership into the Hall of Fame is reserved exclusively for the creators of recorded music - the writers, the recording artists, and in some cases, the producers;
- The nominees must be responsible for a significant body of recorded work;
- The nominees work to have had a cultural impact within Australia and/or recognition within the world marketplace.
||Dame Joan Sutherland, Johnny O'Keefe, Slim Dusty, Col Joye, Vanda & Young, AC/DC
|| Dame Nellie Melba, Ross Wilson
||Percy Grainger, Sherbet
|| Billy Thorpe, Glenn Shorrock, Don Burrows
||Cold Chisel, Peter Allen
||Men At Work
||Australian Crawl, Horrie Dargie
||The Bee Gees, Paul Kelly, Graeme Bell
||The Masters Apprentices, The Angels
||Richard Clapton, Jimmy Little
||INXS, The Saints
||Olivia Newton John
||Little River Band
||Split Enz, Renee Geyer, Normie Rowe, Smoky Dawson, The Easybeats, Hunters & Collectors, Jimmy Barnes
||Midnight Oil, Divinyls, Rose Tattoo, Helen Reddy, Daddy Cool, Icehouse and Lobby Loyde
Frank Ifield, Hoodoo Gurus, Marcia Hines, Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons, Brian Cadd and Radio Birdman
For more information on the Hall of Fame visit www.ariahalloffame.com.au