The Movember Foundation (ABN 48 894 537 905) is a national, not for profit, charitable organisation that runs the Movember event each year.
The Movember event raises awareness around men's health issues and funds for carefully selected beneficiary partners that are also charitable organisations, with a focus on prostate cancer and depression in men.
Since its inception as a formal charity in 2004 Movember has raised over $30 million globally, significantly increased awareness of prostate cancer and depression in the community, and is continuously working to change the attitude men have about their health.
Movember's current beneficiary partners in Australia are:
The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA) whose aim is to reduce the impact of prostate cancer on Australian men, their partners, their families and the community. The money raised by Movember is used by the PCFA to:
- Fund research into the causes, detection, diagnosis and improved treatment of prostate cancer.
- Provide information, support and counseling to those affected by prostate cancer.
- Raise community awareness of the incidence of prostate cancer, therebv encouraging earlier detection and more effective treatment of the disease.
beyondblue - the national depression initiative whose aim is to increase the communities awareness of depression in men and address the associated stigma of men living with depression. The money raised by Movember is used by beyondblue to achieve their five priorities:
- Increased community awareness of depression, anxiety and related substance misuse disorders and addressing associated stigma.
- Providing men living with depression and their carers with information on the illness and effective treatment options and promoting their needs and experiences with policy makers and healthcare service providers.
- Developing depression prevention and early intervention programs.
- Improving training and support for GP's and other healthcare professionals on depression.
- Initiating and supporting depression-related research.
Movember's global beneficiary partners are:
In the near future Movember will be annoucing the New Zealand beneficiary partners for the 2008 - 2010 campaigns.
United States of America
[Prostate Cancer Foundation]