The Brisbane River to the east and Mount Coot-tha to the west dominate the environment of Toowong. Several smaller creeks flow through Toowong and into the river.
In 1823, John Oxley stopped near the position of the Regatta Hotel and described it as 'low, open, forest, good grass and iron-bark trees.' The following year, Alan Cunningham described the Toowong Reach as 'still preserving the even breadth of half a mile [805 metres], and bounded by dark, densely matted woods in which the new pine (hoop pine) was particularly conspicuous.' Lockyer's map from the following year shows the area as having 'pine trees'.
J. B. Fewings' memoirs describe his recollection of early Toowong as 'a dense and interminable wilderness of trees and inferior vegetation' with 'multitudes of beautiful tinted Blue mountain parrots gathering sweetness and sustenance from the stately eucalyptus.' In 1924, Toowong was still described as 'pleasantly wooded hills and vales'.
Almost all this area is now affected by white settlement, and the built environment has replaced the natural environment. Only the slopes of Mount Coot-tha have retained, to a small degree, something of their original state.