The first Police Boys Club opened
at Woolloomooloo, Sydney, on 1st April 1937.
Officially known as the Police-Rotary Boys
Club, it was set up in a disused Police Station
as an initiative of the Rotary Club of Sydney, and
the Police Commissioner, William John Mackay.
The purpose of the Club was to provide
a venue where boys could engage in healthy sporting,
cultural and recreational pursuits and mix in a
safe, non-confrontational environment.
By the time the Club officially opened
on 1 April 1937, it had a membership of 400 boys
and facilities including a library with 3000 books,
areas for wrestling and physical culture classes,
debating, and teams in the rugby league competition.
In July 1937 the founders of the
Woolloomooloo Club began the process of bringing
together the other clubs and placing them under
a central authority. Clubs had been established
at Bega, Cooma, Cootamundra, Goulburn, Tamworth,
Yass and Young, and moves were afoot to set up Balmain,
St George, and Wollongong.