Yeerongpilly is a small suburb that has a very small frontage onto the Brisbane River. According to Tom Petrie the names means ‘rain coming' but an alternative definition is ‘sandy gully'. The name was first used in the Brisbane Courier in 1848 and the Divisional Board created in 1871 was called Yeerongpilly. However, it was part of the region referred to as ‘Boggo' and the station was called ‘Logan Junction' in 1884.
Yeerongpilly is flat and low-lying, which ensures that large portions of it are well watered. Moolabin Creek forms part of its eastern boundary and then, with Rocky Water Holes Creek bisects it. These creeks were originally chains of waterholes with many gullies and wide flood plains, which later formed the fertile land of Yeerongpilly. They have since been drained in parts and their paths have been altered. In 1823, John Oxley described the area as ‘all brush land…it abounds with noble timber, specimens of two new species we procured, the soil uncommonly rich'.
Much of the suburb is still fairly open, with the Animal Research Institute and the Brisbane Golf Course occupying about half the suburb. In the 1981 Wildlife Survey, Yeerongpilly recorded 53 species of birds, eight species of reptiles (including goannas, bearded and water dragons), and four species of native mammals, echidnas, flying-foxes, and brushtailed and ringtailed possums.