HATHERSAGE is an extensive parish, containing the townships of Hathersage, Bamford, Derwent (chapelry,) and Outseats these form the parish of Hathersage, to which the chapelry of Stoney Middleton is annexed. The whole contains 12,649A. 1R. 29P. of land, and in 1851 had 469 houses, and 2,106 inhabitants, of whom 1064 were males and 1042 females; rateable value, £7,023 7s. 10d.
HATHERSAGE is a large flourishing village and township, occupying a bold acclivity on the Sheffield and Chapel-en-le-Frith road, eleven miles S.W. from Sheffield, twelve miles E. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 5 miles N. from Stoney Middleton, and 5½ miles E. by S. from Castleton. This village has long been noted for the manufacture of needles, hackles, gills, pins, cast steel wire, and millstones. Messrs. Robert and David Cook first brought the needle business here from Redditch on the 14th July, 1811. The river Derwent, passing through a deep valley on the west, generally bounds the parish, with the exception of Stoney Middleton. On the north it is bounded by the Yorkshire moors, and on the east by the Hundred of Scarsdale. It contains 2,985A. 2R. 32P. of land, forming a romantic district, on gritstone, and had in 1851, 181 houses, and 832 inhabitants, of whom 412 were males and 420 females; rateable value, £2,114 18s. 10d. Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor, and small owner. John Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth, Esq., Duke of Rutland, Mrs. Newton Shaw, Miss H. Wright, Thomas Eyre, Esq., and Robert Cook, Esq. are the principal owners, besides several small free-holders. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s book at £7 0s. 5d., now £126, has been augmented with £200 benefactions, £400 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £2,000 parliamentary grant. Duke of Devonshire patron and impropriator. At the Inclosure act, 1808, land was awarded in lieu of all the tithe. The Rev. Henry Cottingham, M.A., incumbent. The Church which is considered to be one of the handsomest in the county, is in the later style of English architecture, has nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, and spire, with a peal of six good bells. In 1851-2, the church was thoroughly restored, new seated with open benches, new roofed, and all the windows filled with stained glass. The south window was presented by Wm. Cameron Moore, Esq., and another on the south side by Mr. Butterfield, architect for the Church Building Society; the small east window, by the working-class of Hathersage; the great east window, by voluntary subscription; the window on the south side the chancel, by the present vicar; the west end window, by Mr. Geo. Eyre, and his three sisters; also, a beautiful crimson velvet altar cloth with gold fringe, and a pulpit cushion, was presented by Miss H. Wright; Thos. Eyre, Esq. gave two handsome carved old oak chairs, wilth buffets, which stand on each side the chancel. The Duke of Devonshire, Miss Wright., and J. S. A. Shuttleworth, Esq., each gave £100 towards the restoration of the church, which cost upwards of £1,700 (exclusive of the new windows), the remainder being defrayed by subscription. The church was given in the 12th century to the priory of Launde, Leicestershire, by Richard Bassett, its founder. In the chancel are several monuments to the family of Eyre, ancestors of the Earls of Newburgh. On an altar-tomb, represented on brass, are effigies of Robert Eyre, who fought at the battle of Agincourt, and of his wife and fourteen children, viz.: ten sons and four daughters. On the south side of the churchyard is shown the gravestone of “Little John,” the companion of Robin Hood; also, a house is pointed out as the place where he died. The body of Mr. T. Ashton, interred here
614 HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.
in 1725, was discovered in 1781, quite perfect and petrified, retaining the flesh-colour as when entombed. The Vicarage is a neat house west of the church. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel erected in 1807, at a cost of £300, with sittings for 260 persons; about one half are free. The Endowed school is now taught on the National plan; Wm. Cresswell, master. The Girls’ National school is an old thatched building near the church; Mrs. E. Blackshaw, mistress. The Roman Catholics have a chapel in a rural situation, and there are ruins of ancient Catholic chapels at Over Padley and North Lees. A Fair is held on the first Friday after Old Michaelmas day, and if it falls on Friday, the Friday after; and the Feast on the Sunday before the fair. The Hall, a handsome mansion in the village, was rebuilt in 1844; it is the property and seat of John Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth, Esq. Camp Green, a little E. of the Church, is supposed to be the site of a Danish camp. This manor, Hereseige, was, at Domesday survey, the property of Ralph Fitzhubert. In the reign of Henry III. it belonged to the family of De Hathersage, whose coheiresses brought it to Goushill and Longford. In the reign of Henry VI. Goushill’s moiety belonged to the family of of Thorp, with remainder to Robert Eyre and his heirs. Sir Nicholas Longford died seized of the other moiety in 1481. The ancestors of the Duke of Devonshire purchased it of the family of Pegge, in 1705. Booths, a small village, half mile E. Fox House is a noted Inn on the Sheffield road, and at the extreme verge of the county, three miles E. from Hathersage. Longshaw, a shooting box, three miles S.E. from Hathersage, is the property and occasional residence, during the shooting season, of the Duke of Rutland, being situated on the verge of the Yorkshire moors, particularly noted for grouse and other game. Moor Seats, a neat pleasant mansion, one mile N.E. from the village, is the seat and property of Thos. Eyre. Esq. Nether Hall, a handsome mansion, quarter mile W. from the village, was erected in 1840, and is the property of Jno. Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth, Esq., and residence of Charles James Peel, Esq.
BAMFORD is an improving and pleasant village and township, near the Derwent, 2½ miles N.W. from Hathersage, and 5 miles N.E. from Castleton, contains 858A. 1R. 12P. of land, (exclusive of the Common, about 800 acres, which is now being enclosed), and in 1851, had 69 houses, and 323 inhabitants, of whom 161 were males and 162 females; rateable value, £986 0s. 1d. Wm. C. Moore, Esq., Messrs. John and Wm. Hibberson, Charles and Henry James Robinson, John S. A. Shuttleworth, Esq., Thos. Eyre, Esq., Mr. Taylor. Mr. John Geo. Platts, Mr. Samuel Hawke, Mr. Jph. Hancock, and Messrs. M. A. and J. Merriman are the principal owners. Tithe commuted in 1841; £35 is paid for large tithe, and £4 for the vicarical. A commodious school room was erected here in 1841, at a cost of £300, and it has been licensed as an Episcopal place of worship, in which the Vicar of Hathersage officiates. Samuel M. Moore and Son have a handsome factory on the Derwent, for doubling cotton, worked by a steam and water power of 60 horses, where upwards of 230 persons are employed. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, erected in 1821. The manor of Bamford was for several ages in the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury. In 1802, it belonged to Francis Evans, Esq. Sickleholme, two miles W. from Hathersage was, until 1848, one large farm house, when it was divided into two, it is the property and residence of Wm. and John Hibberson, whose family have been occupiers here for upwards of 50 years, and were formerly large carriers. About half a mile W. from Sicklebrook was Mythan Bridge, an ancient stone erection of 4 arches; it was washed down by the great flood on Augt., 7th, 1856, since which a temporary one has been constructed of wood. A new bridge is about to be erected a little higher up the Derwent, nearer to Bamford.
DERWENT, a township, chapelry, and scattered district of houses, forming the north extremity of the parish, 6 miles N.N.W. from Hathersage, 6 miles N.N.E. from Hope. It is situated in the Derwent Vale, which is in several parts exceedingly romantic, and
HATHERSAGE PARISH. 615
is bounded on the east by the Yorkshire moors, where, at the south extremity, a road crosses by Moss Car house, to Sheffield, north of which is Moss Car Cross, Dove, Stone Tor, Lost Lad, Old Chapel, and Holden house, within the Yorkshire border. A high range of mountains bound the vale on the west, a road from Glossop crossing the Derwent at Cock’s bridge, to Moss Car house. The river Ashop, which collects the waters from the east and to the north-east of Kinderscout, has its confluence with the Derwent at Cock’s bridge, near Crook hill. The township contains 3,327A. 2R. 30P. of land, whieh were enclosed in 1808, but about 1,500 acres still remain in a state of common. It contained in 1851, 31 houses, and 137 inhabitants, of whom 77 were males and 60 females; rateable value, £867 6s. 6d. The Duke of Devonshire, Duke of Rutland, Francis Newdigate, Esq., J. S. A. Shuttleworth, Esq., and Mr. Thomas Gardom, of Baslow, are owners. The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a plain stone edifice, with a turret and one bell. It was originally built as a private chapel, to the Balguy family, who resided near the Hall, was endowed in 1720, by the Rev. Robert Turie, who gave part of two tenements, called the Abbey, and the Carr House, and a rent charge of £2 per annum for a school. This school has now an income of about £6 per annum. The patronage of the chapel was sold by John Balguy, Esq.; of Duffield, to the late Joseph Denman, Esq., M.D., from whom it went to Mr. Shuttleworth, of Hathersage, and sold by him to Mr. Read, of whom it was purchased in 1851, by Francis Newdigate, Esq., of Blackheath, Kent. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £90, has been augmented with £400 benefactions, and £600 Queen Anne’s bounty, in the patronage of Francis Newdigate, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. K. Creed, for whom a parsonage house is about to be built, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire having given a site. Derwent Hall, an ancient stone mansion, erected in 1672, on the northern bank of the river Derwent, over which is a narrow stone bridge, anciently used by Pack horses. The interior of the hall is worthy of notice; all the principal rooms having polished oak floors, with handsome staircase of the same character, and the entrance hall presents to the eye some beautiful tapestry brought from Worksop manor. In one of the rooms is an exceedingly fine painting by “Titian,” the Expulsion of Adam and Eve. The Hall is the property of Francis Newdigate, Esq., and the seat of Geo. Newdigate, Esq. Ashopton Inn, on the Sheffield and Glossop road, is a commodious house, eleven miles W. from Sheffield, 13 miles S.E. by E. from Glossop. A Methodist chapel was erected at Ashopton, in 1840. Feast, nearest Sunday to St. James’s day.
OUTSEATS township consists of scattered houses, extending nearly two miles N. from Hathersage, having the Yorkshire moors on the east, where is Stanedge Pole, near which on the north, a road from Hope crosses the moors. This township contains 4,352A. 3R. 18P. of land, mostly a good soil, and had in 1851, 54 houses, and 221 inhabitants, of whom 111 were males, and 110 females; rateable value, £1,436 3s. 11d. It was enclosed about 30 years ago, when land was awarded in lieu of tithe. Miss H. Wright, J. S. A. Shuttleworth, Esq., and Mrs. Newton Shaw, are owners. The principal places which extend from half a mile to near two miles, N. and N.W. from Hathersage, are, Brookfield, North Lees, Birley, Thorpe, The Hill, Hathersage Lane, Callow, Nether and Upper Hurst, Gate House, Outlane, Green’s House and Cow Close.
Brookfield Hall, a handsome residence, 1 mile N. from Hathersage, erected in 1656, and enlarged and improved in 1825, is the scat and property of Miss H. Wright.
North Lees Hall, an ancient stone mansion, 1¼ miles N. from Hathersage, is the property of Miss H. Wright, and the residence of Mr. George and the Misses Eyre. Here are the ruins of an ancient Catholic Chapel. Near to Green’s House, is an extensive paper mill for the manufacture of all kinds of shop and factor’s paper. The school here has been converted into two cottages, and the proceeds applied to Hathersage school. (See Charities.) No minerals are found in this part; the soil is generally good grazing land.
616 HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.
CHARITIES.—Joan Morton, by will in 1611, left certain residues, her property, for the poor of Hathersage. Her executor, Thomas Eyre, realised £140 for that object, which he intended to have bestowed on lands for that purpose, but died before that was effected, and by his will directed his executor, Robert Eyre, to pay the above sum; and also bequeathed a further sum to the said poor. Robert Eyre refused to pay, pretending he had no assets, on which a suit was commenced against him, and before that was decided he died; after which the suit was revived against John Eyre his executor, and George Eyre, his son, and others of his children; and at last an agreement was made that they should pay £200 in discharge of the legacies given by both wills, which was paid accordingly, and was bestowed on a house and land in Ashton, that the yearly rents might be distributed amongst the poor of the parish of Hathersage, in the manner following, viz.:—one half thereof to the poor on the west side above a rivulet called Chilbage, and the other half inhabiting Chilbage east; the estate and premises were vested in John Eyre, of Cruckhill, and John Baddely, by the authority of an act made 39th Elizabeth for erecting hospitals, and by force of an Act made in 21st James, for making perpetual the same; the said messuage in Ashton was thenceforth to be an hospital for the poor of the said parish of Hathersage, which should be under the control of six governors, and should be incorporated and called by the name of “The Governors of the Hospital in Ashton, of the foundation of Joan Morton,” to whom the said messuage in Ashton, and all edifices, lands, and tenements thereto belonging were granted. The following is the rental of the trust property, which is situated in the hamlet of Ashton and parish of Hope, which contains 19A. 3R. 11P, of land, let for £24 5s. per annum. Although the houses are called by the foundation deed of 1642, an hospital, there is no trace of its having been used as a habitation for poor persons. The whole rents of the estate have been divided in equal moieties, one of which is distributed to the poor of the chapelry of Derwent, as being the west part; and the other to the poor of Hathersage, and the hamlets of Bamford and Outseats, as being the part beneath Chilbage east. The rents are received annually on the Saturday before St. Thomas’s day, and on that day a meeting is held, and the sums paid to the overseers for distribution.
Hugh Barber, by indenture in 1606, in consideration of an annual rent of 22s., and the sum of £60, granted to two persons, the moiety of a messuage in Maltby, in the county of York, and of all the lands belonging the same. for the use the said Hugh Barber, and S. Barber, his wife, for their lives; and after the decease of their survivor, rendering annually to the churchwardens of Hathersage and Derwent, and their successors, an annual rent of 22s. payable on the 1st of March, to be distributed by them to poor and needy persons according to the last will of Hugh Barber, viz:—one-half to the poor above, and the other to the poor below Chilbage, which is given with Morton’s charity.
Richard Silvester it is stated on a tablet in Hathersage church, dated 1790, gave the sum of £1 3s. to be annually distributed to the poor of Hathersage, on St. Thomas’s day, charged on a close called Seat Field. John S. A. Shuttleworth, Esq., pays the above sum, out of which 1s. is allotted to the chapelry of Derwent, and the residue is divided between the township of Hathersage and the hamlets of Bamford and Outseats. But it would seem a larger portion ought to be allotted to the chapelry of Derwent. This is also distributed with Morton’s charity.
Johrs Frost, of Riding House, in this parish, by will, in 1773, gave the sum of 15s. to be equally divided between the hamlets of Hathersage, Outseats, and Derwent, charged on his real estate at Riding House, to be paid yearly on St. Thomas’s day, at the discretion of the overseers of the poor. The owner pays the above sum which is distributed with Morton’s charity.
Adam Morton by will, 1820, gave £10, the interest to be distributed to the poor of Hathersage hamlet, especially widows, yearly on St. Thomas’s day. This sum with a donation of £6 13s. 4d. of Robert Crossland, is now in the hands of Mr. Cooker, of
HATHERSAGE PARISH. 617
Hathersage, on promissory note dated 1805, at five per cent. The interest, 16s. 8d., is distributed with Morton’s charity.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s. is received by the Vicar of Hathersage, which he lays out in coarse woollens and flannel, and distributes amongst the poor about Christmas.
DERWENT CHAPELRY.—Joan Morton, Hugh Barber, Richard Silvester. and John Frost’s Charities. (See Hathersage.) The annual sum of £12 19s. 6d., being the amount the overseer receives in respect of these, is distributed by him on the day after St. Thomas’s day, in sums varying from 14s. to £2 10s., there being but few poor persons in this chapelry.
Robert Turie, by will in 1720, gave to the inhabitants of Derwent a rent charge of 40s. per aunmn, issuing out of two messuages in Derwent Dale, called the Abbey and the Carr House, to procure six of the poorest children of that place, or within two miles of it, to be yearly instructed in reading English, such children, and the master, to be appointed by the minister of Derwent chapel and his successors; and a rent charge of £3 to the inhabitants of Stoney Middleton, for the like purpose. He gave the said premises to the corporation of Queen Anne’s bounty, for the use of the minister of Derwent chapel and his successors, to the end the said minister might be entitled to receive the said Queen Anne’s bounty of £10 per annum. The Abbey and the Carr House are the property of the perpetual curate of Derwent, and the annual sum of 40s. is paid by him to the schoolmaster, who instructs four poor children in reading, writing, and arithmetic, in a schoolroom built by subscription.
John Eyre of Crookhill, by indenture, 1772, granted to trustees, of which himself or his heirs should be one, the sum of £100, and the further sum of £20 to be placed out on security, or invested in land. As to the said £100, to cause eight, ten, or twelve poor children of the hamlet of Woodland, in the parish of Hope, and the hamlet of Derwent, in the parish of Hathersage, to be taught to read, write, and cast accounts, at the school at Derwent. As to the £20 on trust, to the same trustees, the interest to buy common prayer books, and bestow the same on the poorest children of Woodland and Derwent Dale. The annual sum of £4 is paid to the schoolmaster for instructing eight poor children; and the annual sum of 16s., as the interest of the £20, is expended by Mr. Wm. Thomason, who holds the £120 at 4 per cent., in the purchase of prayer and other books, which are sent to the schoolmaster, and given to the poor children in his school.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s. paid to the incumbent of this chapelry, is laid out in coarse woollen or flannel, and given to the poor about Christmas.
Benjamin Ashton, of Hathersage, Esq., by deed, dated 2nd March, 1718, granted to the poor of Hathersage, for the use of a public school, a piece of land in the hamlet of Outseats, adjoining the highway, containing four perches; and he further directed, in 1725, his executors to lay out the sum of £200 in purchasing freehold land, to hold to them and their heirs, in trust, that the rents should be applied to charitable and pious uses—viz. he gave to the poor of Hathersage and Outseats, for ever, the yearly sum of 40s., to be paid to the vicar and overseers for the time being, (this is now distributed with Morton’s charity); and he gave to the vicar for the time being the yearly sum of £3, to be paid on St. Thomas’s day, the vicar to preach a charity sermon on that day; and he also gave to the schoolmaster of Hathersage for the time being, the yearly sum of £5, to be paid on St. Thomas’s day, provided that his heirs should have the nomination of the said schoolmaster, who should also teach ten of the poorest boys in Hathersage and Outseats. The sum of £200 was never laid out in land, but annual sums of 40s., £3, and £5, are considered as being charges on the Hathersage estate. The building, erected on the land granted in 1718, between the villages of Hathersage and Outseats, called the Geer Green school, consisted of a school-room and two small rooms at the end. It ceased to be used as a school in 1807. About the year 1804 a new school was built by subscription in the village of Hathersage;
618 HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.
and in consequence of the master of Geer Green being unable to obtain a sufficient number of scholars, the school was given up. Applications were made to Major Shuttleworth, to permit the annuity of £5 to be transferred to the new school, to which he objected. Since the investigation, Major Shuttleworth has expressed his readiness to re-establish the school, to appoint a new master, and pay the arrears of the annuity, which will amount to nearly £100.
OUTSEATS HAMLET.—Henry Ibbotson gave, as stated on a tablet in Hathersage church, £10, and Henry Brownhill, £5, and small sums, amounting together to £7 3s. by five other persons, inhabitants of the hamlet. A sum of £22, arising from these subscriptions, was placed by the said Henry Ibbotson, with other monies, amounting to £60. on a security of the Sheffield turnpike road, at 5 per cent, interest. The interest, 22s., for the amount of the subscription, is received by Mr. Cocker, and is paid by him to the master of the school at Hathersage, built in 1804, for the instruction of three poor children of Outseats.
BAMFORD HAMLET.—Thomas Thornhill, by will, gave to the poor of Bamford 10s. a year, to begin to be paid when his grandson, Thomas Derwent, was of age, or at his death, if sooner, to be paid out of the Kirk Flats for ever. In the returns of 1786, the date is stated to be 1722. The annual sum is paid by the tenant of the fields.
George Brownhill, by will, gave to Nicholas Brownhill, his son, and his heirs, all his lands in Thornhill, in the parish of Hope, on condition to pay the legacies therein mentioned; and that he gave to six of the poor people of Bamford 6d. each, to be given them yearly on Good Friday, being a legacy desired by his late wife; and he also gave to the poor people of Barnford 6s., to be given them yearly on Thomas’s day by his executors. These two annual sums of 3s. and 6s. are paid from a farm on Thornhill.
John Littlewood, by will, in 1743, gave to the poor of Bamford a yearly rent charge of 10s., to be issuing out of his tenement called Green Head, or the lands thereto belonging, to be paid by the owners to the overseers of the hamlet for ever, yearly on St. Thomas’s day. The Bamford charities are distributed at the same time as Morton’s.
Robert Turie, by will, in 1720, gave to the inhabitants of Bamford £40, to be laid out in lands, the interest to be applied for teaching six of the poorest boys of the hamlet to read. This sum appears to have been lost.
STONEY MIDDLETON is a township, chapelry, and romantic village, 5 miles N. by E. from Bakewell, 5 miles E. from Tideswell, and 12 miles S.W. from Sheffield. It is a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Hathersage, from which it is separated by the parish and township of Eyam, and it is partly in that parish; a brook running through the village divides the townships. It is a singular village, the houses being situated one above another on ledges of rock that seem to be almost inaccessible; and others scattered as if by chance at the base of the eminences that rise high above them. It contains 1124A. 3R. 17P. of land, on limestone, abounding in lead, and in 1851 had 134 houses and 593 inhabitants, of whom 303 were males and 290 females; rateable value £1618 18s. 6d. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor, an owner, and impropriator; the tithe was commuted in 1840; the large for £30; the small belongs to the vicar. Lord Denman, Messrs. Jno. White, Thos. Hinch, Peter Furness, and Jno. Smith, are also owners. The Church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a small stone edifice with a low square tower and three bells. It has an octagon body added in 1767, which consists of a nave, chancel, centre aisle, and gallery. The living is a perpetual curacy valued in the King’s book at £2 6s. 8d., now £100, has been augmented with £200 benefactions, £800 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £1000 Parliamentary grant. It is annexed to the vicarage of Hathersage. Rev. Urban Smith, M.A., incumbent, who resides at the Parsonage, a neat house on a good eminence east of the Church. In the churchyard is an ancient stone font. A National school was erected in 1835, and enlarged in 1845, at a cost of about £200, and will accommodate 100 children; the average attendance is about 50, who pay from 2d. to 4d. per week each; Hy. Jones, master. Feast, Sunday before Old Michaelmas day. Immediately on passing the last house in the village,
HATHERSAGE PARISH. 619
to the west, a deep ravine opens its marble jaws, the entrance to Middleton Dale. The crags that form the right side of Middleton Dale are boldly featured. Half way from their base they are much broken, and present many projections and recesses; above, rises a lofty range of perpendicular rock, the different strata of which are distinctly defined. The best view of this stupendous piece of rock scenery is obtained from near the base of the ascending ground that forms the left side of the dale, about half a mile from the village. Before you, seen in the distance, is the chasm through which the road winds to Tideswell and Buxton; on the right is the Delve, a deep dell whose rocky sides are partly covered with verdure and adorned with underwood, elm, ash, and sycamore. A little nearer the foreground is Eyam Dale, one side of which is strongly characterised with castellated rock; the other is created with fine fir and ash. Directly opposite this dale, another branches out on the left; the whole scene presenting a singular combination of rocks, hills, and deep ravines. The wild scenery of Middleton Dale is often greatly improved in picturesque effect, by the fires of the lime kilns, which are numerous; the smoke which rises from them curling about the rocks, and occasionally obscuring their summits, gives to the whole scene a character of great sublimity. Immediately on entering the dale from the village, on the right hand, is a high perpendicular rock, called the Lover’s Leap. From the summit of this precipice, about the year 1760, a love-stricken maiden, of the name of Baddeley threw herself into the chasm below, and, incredible as it may appear, she sustained but little injury. Her face was slightly disfigured, and her body bruised by the brambles and rocky projections that interrupted her fall; but, with a little assistance, she was enabled to walk home. Her bonnet, kerchief, and cap were left at the top of the rock, and some fragments of her torn garments marked the course of her descent. Her singular and almost miraculous escape, made a serious impression on her mind; her fit of love subsided, and she afterwards lived in a very exemplary manner in the vicinity of the place which had been the scene of her folly, and died unmarried. Near this rock is a cavern, in which the skeleton of a Scotch pedler was found upwards of fifty years ago. it is supposed that he was murdered by some parties whom he had legally stopped from vending their wares at Eyam wakes. Nothing was known of this murder until his body was found, when it was conveyed to Eyam Church, where it lay in a box for several years unburied. The buckles of his shoes and other articles of his apparel proved it to be the body of the well known pedler. The manor belonged at an early period to the Bernakes of Upper Padley. Richard de Bernake sold it in the reign of Edward I., to Thomas de Furnival. It has ever since passed with the adjoining manor, to which parish it certainly properly belongs; or more properly it is a distinct parish. In the chapel are memorials of the family of Finney, dated 1704 and 1790. The late Dr. Joseph Denman married one of the daughters and eventually sole heiress of Richard Finney, Esq., and possessed the estates which had belonged to that family. In the dale are two cupolas for smelting lead ore, a manufactory of barytes, and several lime kilns. On the right of the road from Bakewell, at the entrance to the village, is an ancient stone mansion with pointed gables, delightfully situated in the meadows, a little east of the Church, the seat and property of the Right Hon. Thos., Lord Denman, who succeeded his father, the late Lord Chief Justice Denman, who died Sept. 23rd., 1849, aged 74 years, and was buried at Stoke Albany, Northamptonshire. Immediately behind the house are the Baths, which were fitted up in a handsome manner by the liberality of the late Lord Denman, on the site of an old one, supposed to have been originally established by the Romans when they occupied the station at Brough. Here is an excellent Inn and Posting-house, “The Moon,” kept by Mr. Robert Heginbotham, where visitors and tourists will find superior accommodation, and the most polite attention. Here are several lead mines in the immediate neighbourhood, known as the Sallads, Red Rake, Shepherds, Sough, and Enterprize mines, the latter of which have been recently opened, at an outlay of about £1000. They are worked by a company to whom Mr. R. Heginbotham is secretary. One Great Barmote Court is held annually in April, alternately at the Moon Inn and at the Bull’s Head, Eyam, for the Liberty of
2 R 2
620 HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.
Stoney Middleton and Eyam, of which H. G. the Duke of Devonshire, the Marquis of Chandos, and Sir Richard Tufton, Bart., are the lords. Joseph Hall, Esq., of Castleton, is the steward; and James Longsdon, Esq., of Little Longstone, barmaster.
CHARITIES.—Thomas Whyte, by will, in 1692, gave his messuage, lands, and premises situated at the Booths, within the parish of Hathersage, to five persons and their heirs on trust, that they should yearly, for ever, pay to the curate of the chapel of Stoney Middleton, the sum of £6, on the feast of St. Thomas, the Apostle, and the day of Penticost, by equal portions, provided that the curate should come into the cure with the consent of Benjamin Ashton and the major part of his trustees, otherwise, the £6, during such time, should be applied to charitable uses; he also directed 10s. should be paid to the clerk of the chapel, twenty sixpenny brown loves on the feast of the purification to twenty poor housekeepers of the chapelry, dwellers within the parish of Hathersage, in addition to which, the same poor were to recive flesh meat to the amount of 1s. each; on Easter-eve the same number of loaves and quantity of flesh meat were to be distributed again, and that 10s. should be paid on Easter-eve to the person who should provide and distribute the same; and that his trustees may take the remainder of the rents and profits, to be equally divided amongst them. The estate consists of 32 acres of old enclosed land, to which, in 1808, at the enclosure, 9 acres were allotted, now let together for £25 per annum, so that the trustees have £15 to be divided amongst themselves. On the two days above named, the trustees send to the overseers of the poor twelve sixpenny loaves, and bacon to the value of a shilling, which is given to the most indigent.
Robert Turie, by will, 1720, gave to the inhabitants of Stoney Middleton, and their successors, a yearly rent charge of £3, issuing out of two messuages in Derwent Dale, (See Derwent chapelry). The sum of £2 is received by the schoolmaster from the incumbent of Derwent, for which he teaches six poor children to read, but the donor’s will expresses that nine are to be taught to read. The school was built on the waste land by subscription.
Ashton’s Dole.—An annual sum of £10 is paid by John Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth, Esq., of Hathersage, to the chapelwardens and overseers of this chapelry, by whom it is distributed on St. Thomas’s day to the poor, in sums varying from 2s. to 10s. This, the returns of 1786 state, arises from the will of Benjamin Ashton, the great grandfather of the late Major Shuttleworth.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s Charity.—(See Bradley.)—The annual sum of £5 10s., received by the incumbent, is laid out in coarse woollen and flannel, and distributed to the poor about Christmas.
Post Office, at Mr. Wm. Cresswell’s; letters arrive by mail cart from Bakewell at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.45 p.m. Money Orders granted and paid from 9 to 6.
Blackshaw Elizabeth, shoolmistress
Buxton George, clerk
Buxton Samuel, saddler & harness maker
Cocker Mrs. Ann
Cocker Joseph Robert, needle, &c. manufac-
turer; h. Broom Cottage
Cook Richard George, needle, &c. manufac-
turer; h. Eastwood Cottaqe
Cook Robert, Esq., Barnfield House
Cooper George, timber dealer, & saw mills
Cottingham Rev. Henry, M.A., Vicarage
Cresswell William, schoolmaster
Elliott Misses Elizabeth & Maria
Eyre Thomas, Esq., Moor Seats
Frith Seth, Music wire mnfr., and parish
Froggatt Richard, collector of poor rates,
and property & income.tax, and surveyor
Froggatt Robert, carver and gilder
Gibson Georgiana, boarding school
Howard Joseph, iron & tin plate worker
Le Dréau Rev. Louis Michael, Catholic
Middleton Mrs. Betty
Middleton George, plumber & glazier
Moore Methuselah, surgeon
Morton Mr. William
Peel Charles James, Esq., Nether Hall
Sherriff Mrs. Elizabeth
Shuttleworth John Spencer Ashton, Esq.,
HATHERSAGE PARISH. 621
Smith Sebastian, parish constable
Spencer George Holmes, file, &c. manu-
facturer; h. Derwent villa
Wiggett Joseph, hackle & gill pin maker
Inns and Taverns.
Bell Inn, Richard Froggatt
Fox House Inn, Hannah Furniss
George Inn, James Morton
Millstone Elizabeth Wilkins, Booths
Ordnance Arms Inn, Richard Perks
Scotchman’s Pack, Robert Taylor
Hattersley William, Old Booth Edge, and
Oller Tor Grey millstone quarries
Marples Thomas & Co., Tagney’s and High
Shuttleworth John Spencer Ashton, Bole
Needle, Hackle, and Gill Pin, &c.
Child Tobias, manufacturer of cast steel
wire, and hackle, and gill pins of every
description, Victoria works
Cocker and Sons, merchants and manufac-
turers of cast steel of various qualities,
best cast steel wire, drilled eye’d needles,
hand and machine hackles, copper gills
of all kinds; hackle and gill pins, combs,
and porcupines, for flax, wool, and silk,
wool combers’ broaches, spiral, loom, and
others springs, temples, temple teeth, awl
blades, fish hooks, &c., Atlas works
Cook Robert & Co., merchants and manu-
facturers of needles, cast steel wire, and
hackle, and gill pins.
Cooper David, manufacturer of hackle and
gill pins, needles, &c.
Smith Sarah, Leach
Hall Jonth., Booths
Hattersley Jno. Tooth
Littlewood B. & R.,
Platts John, Nether
Potlard John, Green
Priestley Saml, Over
Silvester Saml. Chas.
Smith John, Leach
Smith Sebastian, (and
Swindell Wm., Har-
Thorpe Seth, Padley
Turner Jno. Old Mill
File and Steel
Spencer and Co.
Wilson George, (and
Hall Jonth., Reeve
Simpson Geo., (slate)
Wilson James, (mcht.)
To Sheffield, at 7.30
a.m., and Castleton,
at 6 p.m. Tu. Thu.
To Castleton, at 11
a.m., and Sheffield,
at 6 p.m., Sunday
Tu. Thur. & Sat.
Andrew John, linen draper
Barber John, shepherd
Derwent John, joiner
Derwent Joseph, bobbin turner
Freeman Joseph, engineer
Hibberson John, veterinary surgeon, and
collector of property and income tax,
Hill Abner, cashier at the mill
Mc Mullin John. mill overlooker
Moore S. M. & Son, oqtton doublers and
8, Mill st., Ancoats, Manchester
Moore William C., Esq.
Phips Henry, mill overlooker
Robinson John, machinist
Turner Joseph, butcher
Wainwright William, blacksmith, Mythem
Walton John, machinist
Inns and Taverns.
Anglers’ Inn, James Tagg
Yorkshire Bridge Inn, George Fox
622 HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.
Fox George, York-
Merriman Mary Ann
Webb Wm., Mytham
Bradbury Chas., jun.
* are at Cocks Bridge.
Creed Rev. Henry K., incumbent
* Ellis Benjamin, blacksmith, and shop-
* Marshall Joseph, wheelwright
Newdigate George, Esq., Derwent Hall
Robinson Charles Henry, vict., Ashop-
Slack John, shoemaker
Thorpe John, corn miller
Thorpe John, vict., Board
* Thorpe William, woodman
Ibbotson Jph., Moss
* Robinson Chas. Hy.
Shepherd A. & E.
Wilson Chas., Abbey
Eyre Misses A. M. & H., North Lees Hall
Hickinson William, woodman
Marsden Charles, manfr. of coarse brown
paper, Green’ s House Paper mill
Middleton William, pumber & glazier
Ronksley Isaac, beerhouse
Wright Miss Hannah, Brook Field
Eyre George, North
STONEY MIDDLETON CHAPELRY.
Post Office, at Mr. Samuel Marsden’s; letters arrive from Bakewell at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.45 p.m.
Those marked * are in Eyam Township.
Lord Denman, Right Hon. Thomas
* Barnes William, blacksmith
Bentley Robert, mineral agent
Chapman Daniel, barber
* Cooper Benjamin, cooper
* Furness Peter, gent.
* Grattan William, lodgings
Jones Henry, schoolmaster
Marples Isaac, saddler
* Marsden Geo., saw handle maker
Mottram Joseph, plasterer & slater
Sellers John, parish clerk
Smith Mr. John
Smith Rev. Urban, M.A., incumbent
Wallis Charles, currier
Washington George, relieving officer for
the Northern division of Bakewell Union.
Inns and Taverns.
* Ball, Mary Bradshaw
* Bull’s Head, Sarah Cocker
* Grouse, George Barker
* Lover’s Leap, Samuel Mason
Miners’ Arms, Joseph Pursglove
Moon Inn, Family, Commercial, and Post-
ing Hotel, Robert Heginbotham
Royal Oak, Alexander Joseph Sellers
Stag’s Head, John Hallam
Sun, John Lancake
STONEY MIDDLETON. 623
(and agent to the
* Jackson & Johnson
* Jupp William
Boot & Shoe Mkrs.
* Barker George
Ashton Geo., (& stone
Booth George, High
* Elliott Alice
* Hinch Thomas, (and
* Moseley John
Barker T. R. & Rose
Hancock & Bennett
Mason & Pinder
* Furness Thomas
* Goddard Thomas
* Mason William
Sellers Thomas, (and
timber dealer), The
From the Moon Inn,
To Sheffield, the
Lucy Long, daily at
4 p.m., during the
season; and during
winter months, on
Tues. and Satur.,
at 8 a.m.
To Buxton, daily,
during the season,
at 11.30 a.m.
To Chesterfield daily,
To Sheffield, Tu. and
Sat., Wm. Hallam,
Hy. Goddard, Geo.
Marsden, and Peter