Muppets, Music & Magic: Jim Henson's Legacy
A rare collection of movies, TV shows, archival footage, experimental work, and more! Available for booking at Film Societies, Children's Museums, Colleges, and more. Co-presented by BAM and the Jim Henson Legacy.
In November of 2004, The Jim Henson Legacy and BAM staged a program at BAM Rose Cinemas, entitled Muppets, Music & Magic: Jim Henson's Legacy. This series, focusing on the film and video work of puppetry pioneer Jim Henson, quickly became one of the most successful series in BAM's history, selling out nearly every program and bringing in both family audiences and a wide group of audience members between the ages of 22—34. The program included not only 35mm films but also rare video excerpts, commercials, and experimental work from the private Henson archives, hosted by curators and performers.
Due to the success of this series and the tremendous interest in it from around the world, the Jim Henson Legacy and BAM have joined forces to produce a traveling version of this immensely popular series. We believe that the appeal of Jim Henson and his work is virtually limitless, as it appeals to adults who grew up with Sesame Street through young children just discovering the magic for themselves.
This program is being offered to book at film repertory houses, museums, film festivals, and others. We have three packages available to rent. These packages come with:
1. Rare shorts programs from the Henson archives, unavailable anywhere else.
2. Provided texts, press screeners, and stills, as well as pre-approved title and credit information
3. A complete list of distributors and contact info for each print of films on 35mm included in the programs.
4. The opportunity to bring a Muppet historian or guest to speak at your program. This will depend on which program you book.
5. A traveling show organizer (Irena Kovarova), who will plan the traveling show schedule, ensure that each venue receives their materials, will coordinate the shipping and arrange for guests.
• The Dark Crystal
• The Muppet Movie
• 35mm print of Jim Henson's Academy Award-winning short Timepiece
• Excerpts from early television appearances, documenting the history of the Muppets
• Experimental puppetry and animation work
• Rare commercials and behind-the-scenes footage
This series, a joint production of BAM and The Jim Henson Legacy, is currently available for booking.
For information on the show, and to be added to the mailing list for upcoming events, please contact the show organizer:
Photograph courtesy of The Jim Henson Company, The Muppets Studio, LLC, and Sesame Workshop.
MUPPET, MUPPETS and the Muppets Characters are registered trademarks of The Muppets Studio, LLC. All rights reserved. (c) The Muppets Studio, LLC. For Muppets materials.
Sesame Street (R) and associated characters, trademarks and design elements are owned and licensed by Sesame Workshop. (c) 2007 Sesame Workshop. All rights reserved.
TM & (c) 2007 The Jim Henson Company. JIM HENSON's mark & logo, characters and elements are trademarks of The Jim Henson Company. All rights reserved.