Huron East
Main Page > Coming Events > Doors Open

Doors Open: Egmondville
Introduction

THE CANADA COMPANY built a dam and mill in 1832-33 at what was then simply called "The Mills" or Bayfield Mills. John Galt of The Canada Company called the place "Ross." The mill was the second one in the Huron Tract, the first being in Goderich. In 1835, the Canada Company had the Mill Road from Brucefield to Bayfield Mills surveyed, and the road from Bayfield Mills to the Wilmot Road was also opened, giving people access to two mills. In later years, the grist mill was operated by Constant and Leopold Van Egmond, sons of Anthony Van Egmond.

Few settlers came into Tucker-smith Township before 1835, but afterward there was a steady stream. Settlement had been slow because, as Anthony Van Egmond claimed, The Canada Company had fallen behind in its obligation to build roads and bridges, churches and schools. It was Constant Van Egmond, the eldest son, who officially found-ed Egmondville in 1845 and began building the hamlet.

The 3-storey brick  Woolen Mills was built in 1866 by Leopold G. and William Van Egmond, sons of August G. Van Egmond. At the Seaforth Fair in 1890, they could show over 60 tweed patterns. In six days, on nine looms, 2575 yards of checked flannel could be produced. He built a large brick house on his property in 1847 (see the story of Van Egmond House). The Van Egmonds had flour, grist and sawmills. In 1854, the youngest son, August G., started the Van Egmond Woolen Mills.

In the summer of 1852, Valentine Boehler established a pottery on lots 2 and 3 on the north side of Stanley Street, purchased from Van Egmond for £20. He formed a partnership with his son-in-law, Jacob Weber in 1873. Weber became sole owner in 1876. During the 1880s four or five hands were employed and a man was on the road distributing the wares.

Kruse Brick and Tile Works at Lot 10 Concession 3 Huron Road Survey. East of Egmondville suitable brickmaking clay was found. James Pickard had a brickyard, as did John Bowden in the 1870s. The Sproat brick and tile yard at Lot 6 Concession 4 Huron Road Survey produced more brick and was in business the longest. In 1892, William Kruse worked in Sproat's brickyard and later, he and Richard, his brother, owned a brick and tile yard.

Across from Constant Van Egmond's house there was one of two blacksmith shops in the village, owned by John Sproat. The business was purchased in 1854, by Robert Fulton, who had a wagon and carriage shop.

A second blacksmith shop was opened in the 1860s by Thomas Hills. He made wagons, buggies and cutters. His son, George (right) sold to Alex Lillico (left) A brewery was started on the Mill Road some time before 1850 by George Weiland. Henry Colbert Sr. bought the brewery around 1850 and the Colbert family operated it until the Canada Temperance Act came into force in 1913.

Egmondville Post Office was established in 1855 with Thomas L. Marks, postmaster. George and Henry Jackson operated a general store in Egmondville in 1854 and shared the postmaster duties from 1866 to 1919 (see the story about the Egmondville Country Market.).

1880s Egmondville had a gunsmith, cobbler, weavers, blacksmiths, a woolen mill, tanneries, several general stores, a cider mill, and at least five hotels, a brewery, ashery, pottery, sawmills, gristmills, brick and tile yard, cabinet makers and an undertaker, a German Lutheran as well as Presbyterian Church, a schoolhouse and post office.

Site Submissions

Van Egmond House
Location: 80 Kippen Rd
Year built: c 1847

An early Georgian manor, it was built circa 1847 by Constant Van Egmond, son of Col. Anthony Van Egmond. The Colonel played a key role in opening the Huron Tract to Goderich in 1828. Constant founded the hamlet of Egmondville in 1845. The Van Egmond Foundation preserves Van Egmond Reserve. more...
Van Egmond House
Egmondville United Church Egmondville United Church
Location: Kippen Road
Year built: 1879

Settlers in Tuckersmith petitioned for a minister of the Church of Scotland as early as 1835. The first log church was built in 1850 next to Egmondville Cemetery. The church site was changed to the present Kippen Road location in 1879 when this brick church was built. The manse was built in 1882. more...
Egmondville United Cemetery
Location: Kippen Rd & Front Rd
Year built: 1849

Constant Van Egmond donated land for a church and burying ground in 1849. The first minister of Egmondville United Church, Rev. William Graham, is buried here. Also buried here are Anthony Van Egmond and his descendants, the Tuckersmith poet, Hannah Isabel Graham, and William and Matthew Scott, brothers who founded Scott Memorial Hospital. more...
Egmondville United Cemetery
Egmondville Country Market Egmondville Country Market
Location: 69 Kippen Rd
Year built: 1855

George and Henry Jackson opened a store in Egmondville in 1855. This store property was purchased in 1862 and has been the site of a general store or grocery since then. Egmondville post office, the longest conintuous-running post office in Huron County, opened in 1855. more...
Castramont
Location: 42460 Front Rd, R.R. #4
Year built: c. 1845

Castramont is the name James Dickson gave the farm where he raised prizewinning livestock. James was a merchant who served in local politics and was elected to parliament in 1861. Castramont, with its 14 rooms and three fireplaces, was featured in Belden's 1879 Atlas of Huron County. more...
Castramont


© HuronEast.com, 2004-2008
Designed and maintained by Design Heaven.